Buying your own hd directv receiver?
Tags:  ebay, football, nba, nfl Tags
dsnow23 is offline Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
dsnow23
Contributing Member
dsnow23 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5345
Ok. We just bought an HD tv for the boy. I was about to order an HD receiver from directv. And I realized they want $100 for one and $5 per month for leasing it. Seems like if I just buy one elsewhere (ebay?), I can avoid the $5 per month lease fee. Anyone else done this? Any problems I'm going to run into if I try to avoid the $5 per month lease fee for a receiver that I have to give them $100 for? Thanks in advance. By the way, my directv bill is currently already over $200 per month between the NFL package and NBA package, and I really don't want to give them any more money than I already am.

Sponsored Link
Uprising is online now Old 11-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Uprising
Contributing Member
Uprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2086
Damn. How much a month do those 2 packages add?!

My direct tv with 2 HD boxes (whole house DVR) is ~$45-50.

Clutchfans STEAM group : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Clutchfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetics80 View Post
Lin > Harden

Space Ghost is offline Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Space Ghost
Contributing Member
Space Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #80
It doesn't matter if you own the receiver or not, you will have to pay the $5.00 monthly fee.

If you purchase the receiver from DirecTV, its $300 or $400 or more. In other wards, there is a good chance that the ones on Ebay are leased and never returned. If you purchase a leased one on ebay, you can not use it on your acct. There is no real advantage to owning the receiver.

Space Ghost is offline Old 11-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Space Ghost
Contributing Member
Space Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising
Damn. How much a month do those 2 packages add?!

My direct tv with 2 HD boxes (whole house DVR) is ~$45-50.
You're in your promotional period. Once its up, you'll be close 80-90.

Hayesfan is offline Old 11-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20409
The HD receiver only cost me like 99 bucks... I changed over right after Christmas... they usually have decent deals then.

Uprising is online now Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
Uprising
Contributing Member
Uprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemUprising is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost
You're in your promotional period. Once its up, you'll be close 80-90.
Ya, I get back like $25 a month, and next year like $15 a month. Still not bad.

After that I might change. Uverse if I'm in a major city.

Clutchfans STEAM group : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Clutchfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetics80 View Post
Lin > Harden

MiddleMan is offline Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
MiddleMan
Contributing Member
MiddleMan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodMiddleMan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2005
Member: #16210
DSnow make sure you call directv customer service and let them know you purchased the reciever from an authorize dealer and purchase price was $399 plus tax. That is the only way to avoid the $5 lease fee. Also that you lost the receipt, since they are going ask for that for proof, or tell them you already threw it away. One thing for sure is upon activating the reciever they will automatically add 1 more year to the existing contract.

MiddleMan is offline Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
MiddleMan
Contributing Member
MiddleMan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodMiddleMan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2005
Member: #16210
Oh yeah, I called to cancel my subscription since I was bluffing, that it was getting to expensive and I started to using netflix more. They gave me all the channels and nfl sunday hd ticket for $62 a month.

Jet Blast is offline Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
Jet Blast
Contributing Member
Jet Blast is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJet Blast is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJet Blast is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJet Blast is James Harden -- racking up the pointsJet Blast is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2001
Member: #2325
If you buy a DirecTV receiver they will still charge you $5 per month. Instead of calling it a lease fee they call it something else.

If you decide to buy a receiver make sure to call DirecTV before purchasing and give them the receiver ID to verify that it's not leased. There are lots of scams concerning selling leased receivers.

You can negotiate the price of a receiver if you decide to lease from DirecTV. Just ask them how much they can knock off the price for a receiver. Some people can get a receiver for free. About six months ago, I decided to upgrade a receiver and only paid $25 for it. Please note that if you add an additional receiver or upgrade one you start a new two-year commitment with DirecTV.

deaconhound is offline Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
deaconhound
deaconhound is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Apr 2012
Member: #50775
Just an FYI but DirecTV lowered the NFL ticket price this year to 199 (from 325), and is offering it free to those who are adding service. Wife and I are moving on Sat and were going to go with Comcast but they have a terrible sports package.

If you want to lower your NFL ticket costs call them up and haggle with them. They are facing HUGE competition from Internet TV right now and they are losing customers left and right - they will wheel and deal if you make it clear you will leave (and assuming you arent under contract with them any longer).

Re: using your own receiver - I fooled around with it and, like others, determined it isnt really worth the cost unless you want 3D tv or you need special equipment for a home theater or to run to multiple TVs off one receiver. You still have to pay their bs charges per receiver to "activate" them.

If you want to run the same programming on another TV, Slingbox and some of those products might help you. Also, the internet TV stuff might be worth looking into but again, you may not get the games you want if you go Internet TV (plus your bandwidth for Internet gets choked out depending on your service). But the cost is a lot cheaper - if you have a spare PC to hook to the TV.

Good luck.

Xerobull is offline Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Xerobull
Contributing Member
Xerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12692
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaconhound View Post
Just an FYI but DirecTV lowered the NFL ticket price this year to 199 (from 325), and is offering it free to those who are adding service. Wife and I are moving on Sat and were going to go with Comcast but they have a terrible sports package.

If you want to lower your NFL ticket costs call them up and haggle with them. They are facing HUGE competition from Internet TV right now and they are losing customers left and right - they will wheel and deal if you make it clear you will leave (and assuming you arent under contract with them any longer).

Re: using your own receiver - I fooled around with it and, like others, determined it isnt really worth the cost unless you want 3D tv or you need special equipment for a home theater or to run to multiple TVs off one receiver. You still have to pay their bs charges per receiver to "activate" them.

If you want to run the same programming on another TV, Slingbox and some of those products might help you. Also, the internet TV stuff might be worth looking into but again, you may not get the games you want if you go Internet TV (plus your bandwidth for Internet gets choked out depending on your service). But the cost is a lot cheaper - if you have a spare PC to hook to the TV.

Good luck.
I got it for free last year by canceling. They called me two days later and offered me Sunday Ticket, premiums and their grandma's virginity for $30/month for a year. Play harder ball with them.