1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV Show] The Wire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm late to the show but I have been watching this show non-stop and I must say it's great. Just got done with season 3 and my oh my the twist was awesome. I've been reading up on opinions about which season is the best and I'm disappointed to read that the 5th was bad and is the worst of the lot... I thought series would never go downhill but according to some people it does. With that said, this is some fine, fine television. I have heard The Shield compare to it, does anyone else agree? Or does anyone know a better show than The Wire?

also, I'm wondering... how are these actors in real life? Are they really gangster or are they totally different? Was the projects in this series a real place and they filmed real people doing drugs and prostitution (cause they look so frickin real!) The way people act around each other mirrors real life... it's like they spent so much time studying these people and they put it on TV. Amazing show.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wait you got to be ****ting me!!! Avon Barksdale was that kid in Remember the freaking Titans! Wow...

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The 5th? The 2nd season was by far the worst of the series.. and I've never watched The Shield, but I feel comfortable saying it can't even come close to The Wire. Enjoy it.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It is an awesome show. I didn't get into it until last year, and watched every episode within a month period.

Omar, who is one the best characters of any show, is now on the new HBO series Boardwalk Empire. It's great and you should check it out as well.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

The fourth is the best season. I think at the time Slate magazine was pushing it as the best season of any TV show ever.

6. Poloshirtbandit

I haven't watched The Wire yet, but The Shield is maybe one of the best shows I've ever watched. The series finale was almost perfect.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Agree about season 2, if that's the one with the Russians or whatever. I actually prefer the Shield though.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Widely considered one of the best dramas ever, along with The Sopranos, I love it. Season 4 is the best, 5 is the worst (but still good television). Season 4 finale was the best episode (to me) of any TV show ever.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Why??

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Anyone else think Wee Bay looks like Tyreke Evans?

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The Shield is similar in terms of the grit I suppose, but The Wire takes it to another level of reality. Every city, county, and office named in The Wire is real. Farmington is a fictional area somewhere in Cali in The Shield.

12. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

I got hooked on it last year -- I was late to the game, I guess. Ran thru every season in a matter of a few weeks. It's so well written and nuanced. Definitely one of the best.

13. AGBee

AGBee Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HrfCixsd2N8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HrfCixsd2N8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

two of my favorite moments in The Wire so far:

1. when cutter goes up to avon and tells him the game isn't in him anymore. I thought Avon was gonna get MAD in that scene... and then the lines, "he a man today, he a man today"

2. when stringer confesses it was his doing that dangelo got killed. biggest WTF moment for me.

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

some are off the streets. snoop was, now she has a book, a movie deal, and a reality show.

that show was great i was pissed when they ended it, omar is a character on that new show w/ steve buscemi on hbo.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

One of the most memorable scenes for me...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hor_gOBU_GU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hor_gOBU_GU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

oh yeah... that was just wrong..

18. Buck Turgidson

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/URupBZbfbJg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/URupBZbfbJg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

19. Buck Turgidson

BAAAAD ADVICE!!!! YOU MOFO'S GAVE ME BAD ADVICE!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DBI4TSbihrE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DBI4TSbihrE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I love the way it seems like a run of the mill cop drama based on the first few episodes but then explodes into a rich multi-layered narrative exploring all of the different facets of Baltimore. Their are tons and tons of characters but all of them make sense within the context of the show, their motives and actions all related and intertwined. With so many characters you would think the story would get convoluted but the the flow and direction is so spot on, it never does.