1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets also pursuing Dampier (UPDATE: Rockets make 2-year offer)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Update 9/15/2010, 8:30pm

<HR>

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/24605072

The Miami Heat emerged Wednesday as the front-runner to land free-agent center Erick Dampier, who was released a day earlier by Charlotte in a luxury-tax move, a person with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com.

Dampier can't officially arrange a visit with the Heat until he clears waivers, but it is believed that Heat president Pat Riley views Dampier as a key supporting piece to add to his new Big Three of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh. Dampier, 35, would be an upgrade over Joel Anthony and Jamaal Magloire and would fill the final missing role for Miami's championship run.

Miami can only offer Dampier the veteran's minimum of about $1.4 million, but it is believed that Dampier is open to accepting less money for the chance to compete for a championship. Among the handful of teams with the full mid-level exception of $5.8 million available, the only potential championship contender is Dallas -- and a reunion with the Mavericks is difficult to fathom. Other teams that have expressed interest are Houston, Toronto and New Jersey, with the Rockets apparently hottest in their pursuit.

The Bobcats released Dampier Wednesday to get out from under his non-guaranteed $13 million salary. Part of the concern, according to a source, was being on the hook for Dampier's salary if he got injured.

1 person likes this.
  2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

So we aren't championship contenders at all? Interesting...

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I dont really get this move.

Yao, Miller, Hill AND Dampier?!

Unless a Hill trade is imminent or Yao is MUCH worse than we are led to believe, it doesnt seem to make much sense.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm wondering if he would be above/below Miller on the depth chart.

This isn't a bad idea if Yao is playing limited minutes, depending on the price.

6. HorneR

HorneR Member

NOOOOOOOO!

I don't know if I could stomach this move. ANYONE, but Erika...

7. Htown's2kFinest

he could be the guy that brings us shot blocking off the bench and some added toughness in the post.

i'm down for it. just hoping Miami doesn't get him or Dallas cause they have 3 seven fters already.

8. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

The only way I can see this helping the team is if Jordan Hill is included in a Melo/Iggy/Granger trade. If Jordan stays...I dont see why we would add a worthless 3-4th string center who, im pretty sure, is unanimously hated by all of Houston.

1 person likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It makes plenty of sense to me. The most they can pay the guy is the $2 mil bi-annual exception, I think (or maybe the $1.36 mil or so left of the MLE). Anyhow, Dampier is worth more than that, so if you can get him at that price, it's a bargain and you go for it and let Yao, Damp and Miller's performance dictcate who plays.

Damp might look for more guaranteed minutes, but if he's down to play the Dikembe role, why not? The guy is still a good shot blocker and elite rebounder, and can finish around the basket very well.

And if you don't get him, at least you drive up the market on him so someone else (another WC team, or Miami) doesn't get to sign him for, say, the vet minimum.

10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If we make the move for Dampier, a trade is pretty much imenent.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YEAH GO FOR IT MOREY!!!

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

It makes sense if its true that Yao won't be playing more than 25 minutes. Damp and Brad splitting the remaining minutes at the 5 would be fantastic. Damp can play solid defense and rebounds the ball at an efficient rate, solid signing imo if Morey can get it done.

Hill had a poor showing at the summer league playing center so I'm assuming he'll be backing up Scola again this season.

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm down for a cheap big, especially the "second best center in the association" :grin:

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

SECOND BEST CENTER IN THE NBA ON THE ROCKETS????? I must be dreaming.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I can think of 25 reasons why: the minutes allowed for Yao (TFN).

16. blink

blink Contributing Member

DUHHHH

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our starter, Chuck Hayes, will be backing up Scola. Jordan Hill won't sniff the court unless we have an injury.

#17 RudyTBag, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  18. Htown's2kFinest

the signing would give us another asset for a possible trade down the road. why not go for it? he's a good rebounder(7.3 rpg on 23mpg last season) and he can block shots at a good rate (1.4bpg).

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Must mean a trade is coming... :p

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If he comes, he won't even be 2nd best center on our team. That would be freaking hilarious. :grin: