1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Trivia: who was the architect GM of Clutch City? CD or Steve Patterson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Who was the GM who built Clutch City?

1. CD

35 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. SP

132 vote(s)
    79.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So as the years past the truth as we know for the Rockets has changed in the minds of the Clutchfans. Rick Adelman not coaching a team to the Finals, Hakeem didn't have any all stars with him.. Of course the ever debated legitimacy of Clutch City championships and I've noticed this one showing up constantly..

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1993_1150656

Patterson chronology

1976-1983 -- Begins Rockets career as part-time worker in ticket sales and other areas.

1984 -- After earning a law degree from the University of Texas, joins his father, Rockets president and general manager Ray Patterson, in the front office as counsel to the president and marketing director.

1986 -- Takes control of the team's business operations, installing a computer system to handle ticketing, accounting and player personnel operations.

Feb. 12, 1989 -- After accepting Houston's bid coordinated by Patterson, NBA holds its All-Star Game at The Summit.

Sept. 11, 1989 -- Named at age 32 as the Rockets' general manager, succeeding his father in that role and becoming the youngest GM in the NBA.

Sept. 27, 1990 -- Acquires point guard Kenny Smith from Atlanta along with Roy Marble for Tim McCormick and John Lucas.

Feb. 21, 1990 -- Acquires starting guard Vernon Maxwell from San Antonio Spurs for an undisclosed amount of cash.

June 27, 1990 -- Trades the rights to Alec Kessler to Miami for the rights to Dave Jamerson and Carl Herrera.

July 2, 1990 -- Signs guard Sleepy Floyd to four-year contract; Floyd is released after the 1992-93 season.

Sept. 3, 1991 -- Negotiates three-year contract with top draft choice John Turner, who fails to stick with the Rockets.

Oct. 23, 1991 -- Signs Kenny Smith to five-year contract.

Feb. 18, 1992 -- Fires Rockets coach Don Chaney and names Rudy Tomjanovich as interim head coach.

March 23, 1992 -- Suspends center Hakeem Olajuwon without pay, claiming he has failed to play when physically able to do so. Olajuwon claims he is suffering from a hamstring injury and is unable to play, and suggests he is unsure if he wants to play for the Rockets if Patterson remains as general manager.

May 20, 1992 -- Names Tomjanovich as head coach.

June 24, 1992 -- Despite a chorus of boos from The Summit fans, makes the decision to draft forward Robert Horry, who goes on to become a productive forward in his rookie season.

March 15, 1993 -- Olajuwon signs a four-year extension with the Rockets worth $25.4 million that places him under contract with the team through 1999.

July 30, 1993 -- Rockets owner Charlie Thomas completes the sale of the team to businessman Les Alexander.

Aug. 30, 1993 -- Alexander fires Patterson as Rockets general manager.

[​IMG]

Bandwagoner and The_Yoyo like this.
  2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I see you failed to highlight the Dave Jamerson part.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

yup, and SP also put together the blazers' current core as well

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I got to sit down with Steve Patterson when he was running the Aeros, and in that conversation, I told him thanks for building the championship teams and that he should have gotten more credit.

He seemed genuinely thrilled that somene remembered it.

My Cool story bro moment is that my wife and I took in an Aeros game and sat about halfway up behind the home net, there was an older couple there that we started chatting with and asked us if we wanted to go into the clubhouse.

It turns out that they were the owner of the Aeros parents.....and we got to go down into the clubhouse into a private lounge and that is where I got to meet and talk with Steve.

It was a "Cool story bro" moment for me......

DD

Ramo$e, Caesar, tmoney1101 and 3 others like this.
  5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This is the same guy that didn't draft someones hero if I recall.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

(hanging head in shame)... I was on the Summit floor for that draft party. Couldn't believe Miner was available. I remember a Washington fan behind us telling me, "What are you upset about -- at least you didn't pass on Walt Williams for Tom Gugliotta!"

Ramo$e, Caesar and don grahamleone like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

That must be the draft pick of the century. So many championships, never to lose in the first round of the playoffs in his career. It's like when they chose Frodo Baggins to climb that volcano. Who knew?

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I'm glad you posted this....

So many people are so quick to give Carroll Dawson the credit for the 94 and 95 championships, but fail to remember that he became the GM in 1996...

9. psingh34

psingh34 Member

Didnt he want to trade Dream for coleman... and also signing of mario elie.. backup centers like tree rollins who gave us decent minutes when dream was in foul trouble, trade for clyde .. drafting sam i am .. were the reasons we won the championship ... i dont think hakeem would have resigned unless he had assurance that patterson was going to be fired.. id take hakeem over patterson any day .. and id tak CD over him too

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Patterson must step on people's toes or is just bad with PR because he always get the shaft when it comes to credit. He seems to get fired right before everything gets good.

11. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

He actually resigned from Portland, but Pritchard seems to get a lot of credit for their team.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

Neither.

No love for Bob Weinhauer (sp.) or Todd Liweiki (sp.)?

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I think the tide turned when keith jones replaced Ray melchiorre.

Those injuries just started racking up. :grin:

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Never knew how to spell his name. I think he ended up with the Clippers after his stint with the Rockets.

15. 34to11

34to11 Member

I was there too.
    And to call it a "chorus of boos" is putting it quite mildly.
    I remember thinking, "Who the hell is Robert Horry?"

Head scratches abound.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ha ha. I remember that everybody wanted Harold Miner who went to Miami with the next pick. Miner won the slam dunk contest that season (and again in '95)but never did much else and only ended up playing 4 seasons. Horry played for 15 seasons and won 7 rings.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Also Julian Lennon's mom is not Yoko Ono... Cause it's much too late for goodbyes.

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: SUN 12/19/1993
    Section: Sports
    Page: 12
    Edition: 2 STAR

Steve Patterson proud of Rockets

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

You've heard about the guy who spent all day washing and waxing his new set of wheels, forgetting that it was a rental car?

Steve Patterson knows the feeling well. Patterson isn't around to see the finished product that he and his father spent the better part of two decades building, accessorizing and polishing. Patterson was fired as the Rockets' general manager after Leslie Alexander took over as owner.

But it must be noted that the potentially ugly Hakeem Olajuwon contract dispute had been resolved and key acquisitions Mario Elie and Sam Cassell had been reeled in while Patterson called the shots for the Rockets.

He poured the foundation, erected the beams and girders and did everything but slap on the final coat of paint on this palatial mansion of a season the Rockets are having.

"I'm real proud of the job Rudy and the staff and players have done," Patterson says. "Obviously, the guys I worked with for a long time over there are like family members. Between Ray (his father) and I, we put 20 years toward building something, and we want to see it do well.

"It's the best team in the league, and that's very gratifying."

Patterson is immersed in the business of bringing a minor-league hockey franchise to Houston, work he says is progressing nicely. Assuming lease negotiations come to fruition with The Summit, the Houston hockey team will start play next fall.

But the legacy of Patterson is this season's Rockets. He took his share of abuse for the way he handled certain things on the basketball and business sides of the organization. But for performance, how can anybody knock the job that has led to this fantastic ride through the first quarter of the NBA season?

Even so, Patterson knows how these things work. General managers get fired. That's one of the clauses in the contract when they are hired.

Though he, his father, former owner Charlie Thomas and Tomjanovich made most of the crucial decisions about how this team would be built, but Patterson says he doesn't feel the need to call this his team.

"I don't think that's the case," he says. "It's the city of Houston's team. Players come and go, general managers come and go, and owners come and go. But a lot of the fans have been with this team for years and years. It's great to see them have a team they can be proud of.

"I thought we'd have a good year. We got most of the problems cleaned up. The guys we acquired were tough-minded, good defensive players in terms of Cassell and Elie.

"Those were big acquisitions in terms of the mental health of the ballclub. And I think it's best that Sleepy (Floyd) got a chance to go somewhere else.

"It's tough for a guy who had been an All-Star to go what he went through. He conducted himself well, but it wasn't like having a guy who really wants to be here."

The Rockets have a team of players and coaches who want to be part of whatever it is that waits out there for this team. It could be a title.

Now the Rockets have a whole team of players and coaches who very much want to be part of whatever it is that is waiting out there for this team. It could be a championship.

As Patterson said, it is the best team in the NBA.

It brings up an interesting question: If the Rockets go on and win a title, would Patterson (and Thomas) deserve a championship ring?

"I don't know. I really hadn't thought about it," Patterson said. "I guess not since I'm not with the team anymore."

Not with the team anymore, indeed. But its architect nonetheless.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

So, since you posted a chronology of Patterson, and a photo of Patterson under the "spoiler" tag, so that everyone who visits this thread will click on it...

...you're goading people into voting for Patterson.

Count me as one of the people voting for Patterson. :grin:

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Did either person draft Hakeem Olajuwon?

That's right. The correct answer is the hidden NEITHER. :)

20. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Don't forget about Steve Patterson Ray Patterson who was GM before him. This was the biggest mistake Ray made.

Houston Just Missed Dynasty; Had The Rockets Been Willing To Trade Ralph Sampson, Jordan Could Have Ended Up in Houston
    Chicago Tribune -- June 11, 1998
    By Sam Smith

Forget the sixth championship.

Michael Jordan should be going for an eighth or ninth title by now. He should be challenging the records of Bill Russell's Boston Celtics.

He should be part of the greatest one-two punch in NBA history . . . with Hakeem Olajuwon.

That was the real mistake of the 1984 draft. It has long been hung on the Portland Trail Blazers for selecting Sam Bowie with the No. 2 pick instead of Jordan.

"[Jordan] was good," Jack Ramsay, the then-Portland coach recalled in a rather obvious description. "I saw him on that [1984] Olympic team. My Portland team, our rookies and free agents, scrimmaged against them. Everybody says now they knew, 'Oh, yeah,' but I'll tell you no one predicted this."

No one predicted Jordan would become arguably the greatest player in NBA history. A shooting guard carrying a team to the NBA title had never happened before and was never even imagined -- especially by the Bulls.

"Michael is a very good offensive player but not an overpowering one," Rod Thorn, then the Bulls' GM, said after drafting Jordan. "He's not the kind of guy who will single-handedly turn around a franchise, and I'd never ask him to do that."

Which may have been the best break the Bulls ever had. Because if the Rockets had an idea -- if anyone had -- some things would not have been the same. Kids would be wearing Rockets jerseys, and Al Capone would still be Chicago's most famous citizen.

The 1984 season was the last in which the NBA used a coin flip between the worst Eastern and Western Conference teams to determine the No. 1 draft pick. The lottery began in 1985 to eliminate the longstanding practice of teams tanking games down the stretch to improve their draft position or get a shot at the coin flip.

The Rockets, who had taken star center Ralph Sampson first in 1983, lost 17 of their last 20 to settle into the worst record in the West.

The Pacers, who had traded their 1984 No. 1 pick to Portland several years before for center Tom Owens, held off the Bulls, who lost 14 of their last 15. Had the Pacers not made the trade, they would have been in position to pick Jordan. And they would not have taken Bowie at No. 2. Portland did, for reasons that have been explained many times.

The Blazers had drafted guard Clyde Drexler the year before. He was nearly as highly regarded as Jordan in college, and veteran shooting guard Jim Paxson was All-NBA Second Team that season.

"You thought [Jordan] was going to be a good player," Ramsay said, "but we were good at 'two' guard. Our scouts thought highly of Bowie. We gave him a physical exam. The doctors said he was fine, but that turned out not to be the case."

Bowie's legs simply failed him. Although he went on to have a reasonably productive NBA career with several teams, he was never more than a solid role player.

If Hakeem Olajuwon was the certain No. 1 pick coming out of the University of Houston after three Final Four appearances, the other given was Portland's desire for a center. The Blazers were a playoff team, but hadn't been in serious contention since Bill Walton's injuries ended the run of Portland's 1977 championship team.

"Jack Ramsay did what he had to do for his team," said Bill Fitch, who was then coaching the Rockets. "Sam Bowie was a special player. I never saw a center pass the ball any better than Sam."

Another possibility, however, was Sampson, the 1984 Rookie of the Year who averaged more than 20 points his first two seasons. What if Houston had selected Olajuwon with the No. 1 pick and then traded Sampson for the No. 2 pick and used it to select Jordan? The Rockets would have had the best inside and outside players of their era.

"We had to have a center," Ramsay said. "We would have done that."

If only people had thought Jordan was better.

"There was a time when we felt there was a chance to make a trade with Chicago with Sampson for Jordan," Fitch said. "But nothing was ever done."

That was after the 1985-86 season. The thinking then was the deal might be too one-sided -- for the Rockets.

Sampson was 7-foot-4 and a star who'd help lead the Rockets to the Finals in 1986, where they lost in six games to one of the great Celtics teams. The belief was Houston would succeed Boston and the Lakers as the NBA's powerhouse.

"Ralph was a big commodity," Fitch recalled, "and Jordan really hadn't come into his own."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/08/02/sayitaintso_rockets/