1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Releases 2010-11 Salary Cap

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets934life, Jul 7, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

STEIN_LINE_HQ Officially salary cap number is $58,044,000, up from $57.7 million last season. Tax line rises to $70.3 million, up from $69.9 million

Could be good news for the Rockets and HUGE news for the Heat.

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Interesting development, I remember people saying that we should expect the cap to go down to about $56.1M

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wait... so after all the crying poor and threats of $50 mil salary cap at the beginning of the season, it turns out the NBA revenue is actually UP?

So, for the Rockets it means more wiggle room to sign Scola and Lowry under the luxury tax threshhold. NY gets a couple more millions to play with after signing two max (assuming they can sign 2 max). For Miami, does it mean they actually can do 3 max? Even if so, I can't see how 2 S&Ts can be worked out. Whatever, it's all up to Lebron anyhow.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The NBA itself said that in April, and that was up from their initial numbers. This is a big turnaround.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... time to expect the union to take a harder stance on the new CBA negotiations?

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Won't matter - the hammer is dropping on them. NBA wants their slice of the pie to be smaller, arguing that team costs outstrip the net they receive now.

Nevermind that the problem is owners wanting mega-mansion arenas that cost billion+ dollars.

As long as the owners can outlast the players in a lockout, the players are going down.

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yup, the union's dirty little secret was revealed during the last lockout. There's too many players that are living paycheck to paycheck. If the owners put the squeeze on them, the players association won't be able to holdout past the deadline for a shortened season at the latest.

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's bad news for the Rockets. The Knicks had enough space for a 2nd max player and about half the MLE. Now they have enough cap space to sign an MLE level player.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Maybe Lebron was waiting on the cap figures to decide.

The Heat now have enough salary for 3 max free agents, if I am not mistaken.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I remember asking this before about players playing overseas but can some one tell me why the players aren't allowed to sign with European teams when it's the owners locking them out?

12. m_cable

Honestly it all comes down to Lebron. If they sign Lebron then our picks will be crap. But if they strike out on Lebron, then we'll be golden because there aren't anymore free agents worth the big cash.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's mind blowing that the cap actually went up, after hearing for a coon's age that it would be going down and hurting teams left and right. A conspiracy theorist might argue that the league used this "whoops!" as a way to hold down salaries, but I'm sure they would never do such a dastardly deed.

1 person likes this.
  14. m_cable

Well at least we got Jordan Hill.

I just realized that due to the higher cap figure, the Knicks didn't need to trade Jordan Hill in order to open up two max salary slots. So even if Lebron does sign with NY, it could have been worse.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

What if LeBron does end up in Miami?

16. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

But the Knicks still needed to trade Jeffries right? And no one would take on Jeffries' contract without incentives like Hill

17. m_cable

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm sure their gameplan would have totally changed if they knew the cap was going to end up being higher than projected.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

bump....can anyone confirm?

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, the Heat still cannot sign three max guys unless they move Michael Beasley. Frankly, if I'm Toronto, I don't know why I wouldn't take Beasley, a future first round pick and a huge trade exception in a sign-and-trade of Bosh to Miami. Everybody wins. Toronto and Miami, not the rest of the league.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i think they would have been around 3 million short if they didn't make the trade. morey got an amazing deal in a time of panic for the knicks.

i would be curious to hear morey's thoughts on the cap rising and if he thought this was a possibility.