1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TROY MURPHY COMING OUT!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BobFinn*, Apr 20, 2001.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Just announced he is leaving Notre Dame [​IMG]

Rockets MUST draft him. He is awesome against zone defenses. Not a bad rebounder either.

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The Rockets have to get this guy. 6'10-6'11? Flat out strong and extremely physical. I only watched two games, but in those two games I thought he should hangup his basketball jersey for a wrestling leotard.

35% from the 3... could easily be the starting PF w/ KT.

However, I'm still haunted by Rudy's assertion that he's 'very comfortable w/ that position (PF)'. *sigh*, I don't think Rudy will draft a PF if a good SF is on board or if the Rockets can trade for a good SF (SAR) w/ the 3 picks and Cato.

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I was aware of Murphy by reputaton but only saw a few ND games this year. I came away with mixed feelings. Two questions - will he be around when the Rockets pick and is he faster than Dan Langhi (ie move him to the 3).

------------------
    GATER

4. BobFinn*

Not a 3. If we fail to land Webber and Mo flies, we need a rebounder who can also hit the outside shot. Murphy is also a good passer. A taller version of Kenny Thomas (a better shooter). With zone defenses coming into the NBA next year, Murphy's stock just went up. I just hope he is still on the board (or Rudy makes a trade to move up) when the Rockets pick.

------------------
    (Aldous Huxley)

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited April 20, 2001).]

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very Rudy-ish guy. Smart player, very tough and physical inside, with a nice touch to college 3. I don't think he'll take too many NBA 3s. Power forward all the way. Could get a little stronger, but about 6'10'' 240 as it is, so not too undersized. Some question his athleticism, and how much better he's going to get. I don't think he makes too much sense as a bench player for us, so if we're planning on keeping Mo or Webber, I'd say no. However, if you used your cap space on something else (say a 3 like SAR), he'd definitely be solid at the 4 position. High candidate for ROY due to others' lack of polish.

I'd project him 10-15. We'll be in the thick. I think he's left-handed too.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Anyone seen him play? He's not a telephone pole with legs, right? He can move laterally? Will he mesh well with Cat and Steve?

------------------

7. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I've wanted this guy since he last year. I knew then he would be awesome. This is great that he is coming out because even if we don't get him he just adds to the depth of the draft and pushes the talent level down to #13 even more. Even at 13 the Rocks will get a potential all-star. I just wish Jason Williams would come out.

------------------

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tory Murphy is a physical player with good inside moves unlike Mo Taylor and can shoot as well,but my concern is his lack of speed.I think he will have a lot of problems against the strong and quick power forwards in the West.I would rather prefer to get Michael Bradley instead,even though he is not as strong as Murphy.Bradley can score inside and rebound and is not a bad defender,I think he could be our replacement for Taylor.

------------------

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I hate to be redundant but the new rule changes will surely redefine the role of the small forward. Can anyone compare Murphy's foot speed to Langhi or Walt?

We won't know about Webber & Mo until after the draft and (IMHO) I still think a 5 is more of a priority. If the Rocks really do have the 18th pick, I think Troy may still be available.

------------------
    GATER

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Is Forte coming out ? I think the Rockets need to have a more "athletic" draft then last year. Rudy knows what he's doing, but some of his misses have been pretty bad. Of course, he's found plenty of diamonds.....

I'm not criticizing Rudy's draft. In hindsight, I think he did the right thing in last year's very weak draft.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

11. BobFinn*

Murphy's weakness is lateral movement. He should be able to play defense as good as Mo did this year, and he is a lot better rebounder. Good shooter who hits the glass as well.

------------------
    (Aldous Huxley)

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Murphy's best clone is Croshere, except a little taller, but not quite the three point range Croshere. Murphy hits the boards has good range, and isn't afraid to crash the boards, and play physical.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If he's still there at #18, and I think he might be, I'd like to see the Rockets take him with that pick. It makes sense. Then take Forte at #22.

At #13, I think we'll be able to pick up one of the better SFs, maybe even Battier, if Ming and another lottery pick comes out. Otherwise, I think we could get White, Wallace, Jefferson, or Johnson. A lot of things depend on who ends up in the top 3 picks of the lottery, and who picks for need. One of the top players will prossibly drop to #13.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

14. rocketsbaby

rocketsbaby New Member

I have been looking on NBAdraft.net and it says that if Joe Johnson from Arkansas comes out than we will get him at no.13.

------------------