1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sport Science - Rajon Rondo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Serg300, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Serg300

Serg300 Member

Rondo has some crazy measurements. I wish they would do more segments on different players.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/esBiDDM_x2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/esBiDDM_x2I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2. DrRafay

DrRafay Member

Thats sick!

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Pretty crazy wingspan. I don't think ape index (wingspan divided by height) is on average 1.0, but 1.11 is the craziest I've heard of.

Rondo's been a joy to watch, he takes some really weird angle bank shots that still roll in without a hitch.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe that's also why he is not a good shooter?

5. chosans

chosans Member

Holy crap those are some big hands. I wonder if they are even bigger than Jordan's oven mitts.

6. itony

itony Member

as much as i hate rondo you gotta admit he is near the top of the point guard rankings now and this was an awesome clip, thanks

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That is exactly why he isn't a good shooter.

Hands should be on a man that is taller than Yao Ming? Wow.

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Talk about over analyzing a behind the back pass.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

My ape index is only 1.055. :(

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Rondo can sky for a little guy too. They should have compared his vertical with other PGs also.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

There is a positive correlation between ape index and vertical. It's not hard to imagine why: there is a direct relationship between arm length and leg length and jumping is mostly done with your legs; the longer your legs relative to the rest of your height, the more jump you get relative to your height.

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Dayyyyyyyym

13. Francis 4 ever

so does he have long arms or big hands? combination of both?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you could tell he has big hands by the way he handles the bball like a softball. combined with great ball handling skills and good court vision, the guy makes some incredible passes look routine

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Draftexpress.com has all of the data. I believe they posted earlier that the highest Wingspan to Height Ratio among this year's class was also 1.11, so Rondo is definitely on the high end.

Most draft prospects listed have a ratio >1.00-- I think only Jon Scheyer is below 1, but 1.11 is unusual.

Not exactly sure why most draft prospects have ratio >1, unlike Da Vinci's conclusion. Maybe those with longer arms tend to play basketball better-- NBA draft propsect pools certainly is different from normal population (in the U.S. or in Renaissance Italy). May be Da Vinci was only looking at white people-- not to be racist, but the draft prospects listed with the lowest ratio tend to be white, though there are certainly exceptions.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

According to Wikipedia:

[rquoter]
    The drawing is based on the correlations of ideal human proportions with geometry described[4] by the ancient Roman architect Vitruvius in Book III of his treatise De Architectura. Vitruvius described the human figure as being the principal source of proportion among the Classical orders of architecture. Other artists had attempted to depict this concept, with less success. Leonardo's drawing is traditionally named in honor of the architect.[/rquoter]

The ratio is about 1:1 for most people, so the ancients probably figured that exactly 1:1 would be ideal.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I remember watching some documentary on allen iverson, they showed his mom being so happy when he was born because he had long arms as a baby. she said she knew he was going to bball player.

18. Chinahype

Chinahype Member

I'm 5'11 with 5'10 wingspan, so sad

19. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Rondo is the anti-Kevin Willis.

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

It takes a special freak o' nature to become the top point guard in the NBA without a consistent jump shot.