1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Aldridge: Donatas Motiejunas likely to withdraw from NBA draft.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Stevierebel, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/06/03/aldridge.draft.update/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

1 person likes this.
  2. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Yeah, I saw this.

Isn't it a little arrogant to leave a draft because you are not going to be selected in the top ##?

Seems a little r****ded to me.

That being said, the actual reason could be due to family and environment. Sometimes there are alot of unknowns to decisions...

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

top picks make more money. he can work on his game and come back next year or the year after as a lotto pick and earn more. his stock was hurt by the fact that there are so many big men in this years draft.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This stinks. Was hoping he might be a possibility at 14 as a fallback option. To snag a high upside big like him at 14 would have likely been a steal for us.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually it is probably as much a factor as what he will make in his rookie year, since he has to pay some of the buyout...

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just to clear up on this point. It's not that he wasn't going to be selected in the top 12. But rather he's not GUARANTEED to be selected there. He didn't get the "Rockets will pick Rashard Lewis with one of 3 1st rounders Guarantee", so to speak. The one where they passed up on Lewis to get Bryce Drew and Mirsad Turkjan. I know I'm going off topic but man we used to suck at drafting...

Of course no teams is going to give him that guarantee. If a team has the 10th pick and Cousins come tumbling down the draft board, you think they'd pass on Cousins because of a guarantee to Donatas? No GM is stupid enough to do that unless they think Donatas is a sure future all-star.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nooooo !!!

Feigen had him going to the Rox, we could use the next Dirk...

;)

DD

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the rockets would just stash him overseas for a year or two anyway. better off taking someone who can help now... then drafting this guy with one of the knicks picks later ;)

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What will Colangelo Jr do without another 7' Euro softie?

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Morey has gone on record as saying that anyone they take at #14 likely will not play meaningful minutes next season.

So, wouldn't a guy who could develop overseas for another year actually be a GOOD thing???

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh well. My second choice is Henry so we'll see.

12. cxwcxw

cxwcxw Contributing Member

Good decision. He is not ready for the NBA. Should stay in Europe and improve his defense and all-around game . He reminds me of Nikoloz Tskitishvili . Skita actually played on the same Italian team Benetton Treviso before getting drafted in 02. Both are skilled 7- footer and compared to Dirk Nowitzki. Like Skita, Monteijunas is very soft and doesn't play any defense.
    If Rockets want to draft and stash a foreign player, use the second-round pick. Morey should not waste a lottery pick on this guy.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Probably a smart choice for him, Vesely, who also opted out of this draft is already considered a top 5 prospect for next year, 2011...

"If" Motiejunas develops some of that high level potential, he could be looking at that #1 pick next year in 2011, given that there's no real sure fire #1 for the 2011 NBA Draft yet, like there was for 2009(Griffin) and 2010(Wall)...

--RB

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Did he just pull a Tracy McGrady?

15. worzel gummidge

I doubt any team would want to stash a lottery pick. Anyhow this hurts the Rockets. With lottery prospects pulling out of the draft, there's less of a chance for a player the Rockets are set on, will fall to them.

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

good i didnt want this guy

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sincerely,

Peja Stojakovic and the Sacramento Kings

(Peja, a young Euro stud having JUST turned 19-years-old, was drafted . . . you guessed it . . . 14th overall by the Kings in the 1996 NBA Draft. He was then stashed in Europe for two years, brought over as a more NBA-ready 21-year-old in Rick Adelman's first year coaching the team, and he was averaging 20 ppg by his third year.)

Yeah, stashing a lottery pick NEVER happens. Especially not the 14th pick. :p

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically speaking...the 14th pick wasn't a lotto pick that year. ;)

19. worzel gummidge

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress

20. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Good for him, and best of luck to him, I hope to see his name on top of the 2011 NBA Draft board's next year ... we got to have the 1990 year (everyone born in that year) represent! :grin:

--RB