1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Volkswagen - CV Boot leaking -- How bad is it? (pics attached)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmac2k8, May 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

So I was getting my tires changed at firestone today when they told me I had a leak in my front left CV boot. I just had a 21 point inspection in February done by the dealership who checked off on the CV boots that they were fine so apparently the leak has only been recently.

Firestone recommend to change the entire CV axle, quoted about $350

I just got my timing belt and water pump changed out from an independant mechanic last week as well, (spent $975) and he made no mention of the CV boot leaking. When i called him today for a second opinion about what I discovered from firestone, he says he somewhat remembers the CV boot leaking but didn't remember it being very serious but said he will do it for me at $298.

I asked if I could simply just change the boot but he said no, the labor in changing the boot would cost just as much as replacing the axle.

So..my questions are.

1) from the pictures, how serious is this really? I just spent $1600 in the last month for (timing belt, water pump, rear brakes, and 4 new tires) Kinda thought I would be done with repairs after the timing belt.

2.) Are the two autoshops being honest with me? Is it going to be just as costly to simply replace the boot instead of the entire axle?

3.) DO the quotes I'm getting sound fair?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's a pretty good leak if it really just started in Feb -- looks really 'wet' on the boot, but the caked stuff looks older. There are ways to get grease back into the boot and prolong the life of the boot, but first you should clean it really good with simple green and see how much is actually coming out. Be careful -- don't get the simple green under the boot.

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like under the boot so you can imagine what happens when the grease runs out and the joint seizes up.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Does the $350 include just a boot or an entire axle assy?

The boot protects the CV joint on the axle. If all the grease leaks out, your CV joint will start to make noise and eventually fail prematurely. The fix for that would be to replace the axle assy, which, rebuilt, is usually $100-$150 for the part, a few hours labor and an alignment.

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

$350 is for the entire axle to be replaced

Firestone quoted me $199 for an axle, the part number however when i look it up seems to be that of an Audi?

The other mechanic quoted me less to do the whole job but told me the Axle was about $300 but would get it to me cheaper and that it was not rebuilt, but it would be brand new.

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Judging by the corner of that skid plate, it looks like a Passat to me...a 1.8T or a 2.8V6...pre-2005...am I right?

Not to sound mean, but considering the make and vintage of the car, it might be time to just call it off and get a new one.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

VW and Audi are the same company.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

It's a 2005 Passat

I've considered that but I just find that fiancing for a new car is still much more pricey.

Here is the breakdown of what i've spent on the car, it went out of warranty last year so last year is when i started paying for repairs and maintanence items. This is what I paid for last year and this year.

Brake Fluid Flush (maintenance - did myself) 30
    Spark Plugs (maintenance - did myself) 60
    Freon replace 60
    AC Clutch Relay 246

Total 396

4 New tires 380
    Rear brakes 247
    Battery 119
    Daytime bulb 20
    Timing belt/water pump 972

Total 1738

The car has never actually broken down, all the items so far that I have done are preventative maintenance except for the AC clutch relay and this fluid leak on the CV boot. I have spent quite a bit this year but it's not every year i need 4 new tires, rear brakes, batteries, and timing belt/water pump replacement.

Not trying to build up an argument for keeping the car, just showing my thoughts as to why i'm not ready to invest in a brand new one

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I know they are

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I definitely know what you're going through with that.

It's just that maintenance on a VW (or any European car for that matter) is soooo damned expensive that it can seem like a lot more work was needed than actually was - at least when you're looking at the bill.

Considering that, and considering that I was quoted $300 for a Honda CV axle not too long ago; the same amount for your CV sounds like a good deal.

And with you doing all that maintenance lately, I'm sure your Passat is in much better overall condition than the average VW I see at my shop.

My opinions on your initial questions:

1. It's pretty serious in that the boot is split wide open. There's still lubricant in there though, so you're not totally effed yet. You'll start to hear a squealing/grinding and then some popping mixed in before the thing seizes - if that's not happening yet, you still have some time.

2. They're being honest. Once you break it down to where you could remove/replace the boot, it's relatively easy to just pop the axle out and put in a new one.

3. I already said it, but yeah - those quotes sound fair. I'd go with the independent guy and save 50 bucks as long as he has a limited warranty.

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Thanks for the input Dallas, sounds like you are a mechanic yourself.

I just hope that in doing all this, i"m going to have a awhile before i see expensive repairs occur.

I did have suggested items i turned down from volkswagen, they said an N80 valve was no good and i needed to get it changed or I would not pass inspection. they also wanted to do my engine mount, and also 10 hours worth of labor for differential seal which all came out to $2500

I called BS on them and didnt do the repairs, I ended up passing my inspection and the emission light never came back on.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

1) from the pictures, how serious is this really? I just spent $1600 in the last month for (timing belt, water pump, rear brakes, and 4 new tires) Kinda thought I would be done with repairs after the timing belt.

2.) Are the two autoshops being honest with me? Is it going to be just as costly to simply replace the boot instead of the entire axle?

3.) DO the quotes I'm getting sound fair?

Answers:
    1) You could wait until it starts clicking when you turn. If you haven't hit that point, then you can still drive it for a ways.

2) It's possible that the previous mech caused the problem -maybe on accident, maybe not. It will cost the same and you might as well get the axle replaced.

3) That is the going rate.