1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Chronicle) Brooks to be named NBA's Most Improved Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rcoleman15, Apr 21, 2010.

1. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6969227.html

Rockets' Brooks to be named NBA's Most Improved Player
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    April 21, 2010, 3:56PM

Rockets guard Aaron Brooks will be named the winner of the NBA Most Improved Player award on Thursday, according to a person with knowledge of the voting.

Brooks will be the first Rockets player to win one of the league’s performance awards since Steve Francis was a co-rookie of the year 10 years ago.

"It would mean a lot," Brooks said after the final regular-season game last week. "That’s all I can really say.

"I’m happy pretty much all around (with his improvement). I’m not satisfied. I still have work to do. To win it twice in a row, that would be great. I have to become more consistent. I still want to increase my assist to turnovers (ratio.) To be up for this award, with the talent and the amazing guys that are up for this award, is an honor."

Brooks, 25, was the 26th player taken in the 2007 NBA draft and became the Rockets’ starting point guard in February 2009 after Rafter Alston was traded to the Orlando Magic.

He averaged 19.6 points per game to mark the largest scoring increase, 8.4 points per game, of any player qualified for NBA statistics each of the past two seasons. He is one of three players that qualified for NBA statistics to increase his assists average by at least two per game, averaging 5.3 this season. He averaged 2.83 turnovers.

"Improving my assist to turnover ratio is important to me," Brooks said last week. "I have a lot of work to do. My assists are up. I don’t know about my turnovers dropping, but I’m getting better at that. I want to get stronger. I feel like I am a stronger player."

Brooks led the NBA in 3-pointers made, setting the franchise record for 3s in a season (209) and in a game without a miss (seven.) He also became just the sixth player in NBA history to make at least 200 3-pointers and have at least 400 assists in the same season. He made at least one 3-pointer in a franchise-record 39-consecutive games.

"There’s still a lot of work to do," Brooks said last week. "If you say ‘Are you happy,’ there’s still a lot of work to do so I’m not really happy with it.

"I improved in a leadership role as far as being a leader of this team now. We’re growing and it feels good. Being one of the leaders of the team, having guys younger than you seeing I’ve been here the fifth longest on the team, you know exactly what coach wants. You know what coach is thinking. It’s your job to reiterate that on the floor. It’s your job to call the plays you want coach to run. I think I got better at doing that, knowing what coach wants and being able to execute it."

Brooks scored at least 20 points in 39 games, and scored at least 30 in 10 games.

"He has had a tremendous year," Rockets forward Shane Battier said last week. "He has single-handedly at times willed this team to victories. We wouldn’t have had a winning record without him.

"It’s a big step for him. The numbers speak for themselves. From a responsibility standpoint, with all the injuries we had, he was really, really steady. He carried this team and that warrants the award."

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

YES and it cooouuuunts...:grin:

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I saw the twitter feed, but I figured someone would post it faster than me.

Not too susprised given the chatter in recent weeks. I was interested to see the vote counts, but I guess we'll have to wait to get those.

4. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

congrats Aaron, well deserved. :grin:

5. eman

eman Contributing Member

Aaron's easy to root for. I'm glad he got this well-deserved award, and that he's a Rocket.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well deserved, congrats AB.

7. Raven

Raven Member

His trade value is now at the highest it will probably ever be.

Just saying.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i like how he keeps saying he wants to improve his assists, but i dont know of a PG who improved his assists all of a sudden. you usually see large increases in points only.

9. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

Just saying NO...Congrats A.B

10. albuster

albuster Member

I was just thinking the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  11. nyu3

nyu3 Member

I agree. Sell high :grin:

1 person likes this.
  12. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Congrats AB0... well deserved. Now hopefully he can put a little more weight on and the rockets keep him!

13. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Haha, I love that.

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think you may turned this thread from a 5 or 6 pg hugfest into a 20 page free for all....lol :grin:

Saying that, I AGREE

1 person likes this.
  16. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

way to go AB

17. dianap07

dianap07 Member

GO AB!! Congrats!!!!!

18. redao

redao Member

AB haters faint.....not..... "trade AB" the idiots would say or has it already been said?

anyway, congratulations to AB. Well deserved.

19. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Congrats AB, he deserved it.

20. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

The NBA nationally recognized a Rockets player for exellence!?!?!?!?!?!

This must be a sign of the apocalypse!