1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs could deal Splitter in off-season?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Mar 17, 2010.

1. worzel gummidge

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_situation_with_Splitter_reminds_of_Scola.html

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Splitter is making tons of money in Europe so unless the Spurs offer him the MLE next season I doubt he comes over.

How times have changed where Euro league players make more money than NBA players. LOL@ Sperms.

3. Ditty

Ditty Member

I believe Splitter did mention that he wanted to play in the NBA with the spurs and admired Duncan and wanted to play along side him. Splitter is still young and would still see if Bosh could come to SA in the offseason in a sign and trade which is a possibilty would be crazy with duncan and bosh

4. Steve_Francis_rules

Bosh and Duncan together is not going to happen. Bosh already said he wants to be a #1 guy. He can't be that with the best player to ever play his position on the same team.

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I really am starting to think we will get Bosh.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It wouldn't be any different than the robinson-duncan situation and that what I've said a few times. Splitter is the most attractive big overseas and probably the best player overseas. Thats mainly the reason they were open to dealing scola. They can do a sign and trade using manu and splitter for bosh and then fill the rest in with mle and vets or use jefferson and his expiring with splitter and resign manu cheaper than what he make this year.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Splitter, I think, would be good for the Rockets. I don't remember him being much of a shot blocker, but he's got size, he can defend and he's got game from all the reports out there.

On the other hand, the Rockets is about the last team the Spurs would trade Splitter to, given the Scola experience. If Splitter turns out useful in the NBA, their fans won't ever forgive the front office.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd love to get Splitter, if Morey could manage it. The guy's considered the top center in Europe by some analysts. Splitter is making really good money for Europe if it's over $5 million a season. While I don't have a link handy, at the time we signed Scola, he had been offered a 5 year deal from his Spanish team worth over $15 million. While the total and the years were more than our offer, the per year amount from the Rockets was slightly more. In fact, I find it hard to believe Splitter is making over $5 million a year, unless it is a new contract offer from his team (most likely the case). Anyone have a link that confirms that?

This is from Draft Express:

Obviously a high-level rotation player and likely starter whenever he decides to step foot in the NBA, Splitter has a very difficult decision coming up when his current contract expires in the summer of 2010. The paltry $836,000 he’s slotted to earn from the Spurs on the very cumbersome first round rookie scale can’t compete with the 2.3 million dollars net he currently earns, meaning he’d have to take something in the neighborhood of a 75% paycut for the honor of playing in the NBA.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tiago-Splitter-25/

9. Ditty

Ditty Member

spurs front office have made smart decisions except scola trade and not trading for stephon jackson or vince carter except jefferson..im pretty sure pop with his wise words could influence splitter to come to the spurs

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Maybe we can trade our draft rights to Frederic Weis to the Spurs for Splitter, giving them a scrub Euro has worked before...

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed 100% that we're the last team in the world the Spurs would deal him to after the whole Scola debacle.

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

People on this board act as if Bosh is knocking on our door. The reality is, he is not. Him to Houston is a longshot. First he has to agree to come here, then we have to give Toronto a package they would want. And I doubt they want our **** salaries like Jefferies and Ariza.

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Splitter is a legit 18/10 guy. Spurs won't let him go and if they do they'll demand something significant in return (not V-span)

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Well, they let go of Scola purely for financial reasons. To a team in the same division and, moreover, a rival from the same state. I'm sure glad it happened, but, what the hell were they thinking?

15. Ditty

Ditty Member

scola was let go because of they whole getting rid of jackie butler contract, no one relized that scola would be a good player and wasnt as hyped up as splitter has been..spliter is defintley a way better player than scola and spurs wont trade away espically if hes not going to the nba and spurs which i doubt

16. vince

vince Member

I'm so glad that Scola is a Rocket!!! :grin:

17. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Splitter was partly the reason they were willing to trade Scola in the first place. They're not going to give him away.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

According to the Knicks forum they are picking him up for...their 2 second round picks. :grin:

19. Steve_Francis_rules

It would be different than the Robinson-Duncan situation because neither Robinson nor Duncan ever said that they wanted to be the clear-cut, undisputed #1 guy on the team. Robinson was past his prime and was humble enough to let TD be the main guy. Duncan was a rookie coming in and was happy to have a guy like Robinson to learn from.

Bosh is a veteran player and has explicitly stated that he wants to be the main guy on his team. That means that unless he changes his mind, he would not be willing to go to San Antonio.

20. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I don't see how it's remotely possible that Splitter ends up here. Even if you assume that the Spurs would be will to deal with us on this, we are not in a better situation then they are to sign him. The reason the Spurs think they won't be able to sign him is because they can only over the MLE. They don't think it's enough. There is no reason to do a S&T (sign Splitter and trade him), so they would only trade the rights so another team can sign him. Ok, so what would be be able to sign him with. Best we could offer is the MLE as well.

So whatever deal that comes has to involve a team under the cap who could offer more then the MLE, and that's the team he would need to land. As well, it has to be a team where Splitter would want to go. Is Toronto under the cap? Not quite sure how Bosh is possibly involved in a deal. Any team that would do a S&T to get Bosh would likely be over the cap, and thus could not use Splitter to get Bosh.

I'd bet that Splitter would go to one of the losers in the great FA sweepstakes. I'd guess Splitter would not require as big a contract as some of the 2nd tier FAs, and thus would have some appeal. Given that, I don't know that going to NY is that far fetched. A couple 2nd round picks, plus cash considerations to a team in the other conference may be the best they can get. Better then nothing.