1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Rockets Make Love to Houston Happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It seems Kevin Love is frustrated in Minnesota (see blog post below). He's talented, but probably not the best fit there (given his front court pal, Big Al, isn't much of a defender just like Love). He's also kind of a stepchild from the Kevin McHale era and the current regime might want to clean house and build the team in their image.

I wonder if the Rockets have interest in him and have what it takes to make a trade happen. While Love is undersized and isn't the C/PF with some shot-blocking/paint defending ability that the Rockets have been looking for, he should fit well on the offensive end. He can shoot the 3, pass (and especially throw outlet passes if a team wants to run the break), and rebound. He would be a nice fit next to Yao. I know Minny already has picks, but if they really want to clean house, the Rockets can always give them more (a likely lotto pick this year, plus future ones).

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nba/2010/03/nba_kevin_loves_frustration_grows_news_notes_and_links_1.html

2 people like this.
  2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

man, you're on a thread posting spree.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Minnessota is a trainwreck.

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I rather go after Jefferson than Love, but Love is kinda untouchable. It's gonna take more than some lotto picks to pry him away from 'Sota.

5. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I like him, but isn't he basically like Luis Scola?

Great rebounder (even better than Luis), has range on his shot, doesn't block shots and isn't great athletically but compensates with smarts, skills and hustle. Little less scoring ability in the post.

The outlet passes are nice though, I'll admit that.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Make Love not... Amare?

7. worzel gummidge

So the Blazers PR machine have now leaked they turned down Tim Duncan and they're now hinting Love is available to them if they could be bothered?

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Pretty much. His offensive game isn't really as crafty as Scola, but Scola isn't quite as much of a ball magnet off the boards (though they're both solid rebounders, Love is just a little better). Love is younger, however.

9. Carl Herrera

Love is a much better offensive rebounder than Scola, and can shoot the 3s. I think he's got better passing ability, too.

10. AggieRocketsFan

Lol... I'm betting the Rockets can make love to Houston somehow.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

my god I would be hard for 10 weeks straight if Kevin Love ever became a Rocket in the near future

first player whose college and pro jersey i would have

12. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

worst thread title ever.

13. The_Yoyo

and i dont see Love being moved though

i talked briefly to Kahn last summer in vegas and he was pretty high on Love and Kahn also is a former Bruin himself so he said he really doubt Kevin would be moved anyway.

I think the wolves would move jefferson before Love unless they were getting a sure fire superstar in return

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You sir must not be very well traveled 'round these parts.

15. Carl Herrera

C'mon, Yoyo, what did you expect Kahn to say to you (a fan in a Houston Rockets jersey)?

We don't like this kid that much and are open to trade him? Of course he says they are keeping him. He says they are keeping Jefferson, Rubio and they love all of their players.

All I know is that Kevin Love is coming off the bench while they start Jefferson and Darko. I think that's a bit more relevant than Kahn's words. I'm sure they want as much for him as possible, and may end up keeping him around if the consideration is too insulting, but it can happen.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Actually, I think this might be one of Carl's best thread titles yet. Bravo!

17. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

If they would package him with Mr. Rubio, I would give a whole bunch of talent up.

18. The_Yoyo

maybe but i approached him as a Bruin first asking him what they were planning to do to Love since everyone else from the McHale era were being traded. I know a lot of it was "PC" talk but just judging by his body language he seemed pretty enamored with Love and that it would take a lot to pry him out of minnesota.

besides trading for Love was one of the first move Kahn has made while Jefferson was a move by McHale I dont think Kahn will trade Love before Jefferson why:

1) love is on a rookie contract still great value for production
    2) jefferson is coming off a major injury and has not played until recently that well compared to last year pre-injury
    3) jefferson was a mchale move kahn is trying to undo whatever kevin did while there
    4) Jefferson was already rumored to be traded once earlier to the pacers
    5) Love, imo, possess a much wider range of skill sets than jefferson though jefferson is more athletic

and starting Darko/Jefferson is more of a Rambis move who has had some of the worst/weirdest rotation/sub patterns since Nellie. Jefferson needs to play PF and they are paying the guy 3x as much as Love is of course he is going to start and play his more natural position.

I think getting Al in Houston is much closer option than Bosh though Al doesnt have nearly the range that Bosh does. Love would be a perfect fit here in houston though.

19. rawool

rawool Member

Haha, I agree. +1 rep

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He isn't a big upgrade to our 4 spot,nor is he is a 5. I'm all for getting talent for cheap,but we have too many role players(except as at the 5). Andersen doesn't fit our needs as a 5,which you have already alluded to. I recognize weaknesses in athletic types such as Swift and Green,but we need a Landry plus.
    Love can only be a Scola replacement,if the latter is not re-signed or traded.