1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trainer David Thorpe on Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Pretty long Q&A about all things Kevin Martin.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/13594/david-thorpe-on-the-trading-of-kevin-martin

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can we stop calling him K-Mart?

I keep thinking we somehow just dropped Carl Landry for Kenyon Martin.

1 person likes this.
  3. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

No more Kmart plz :eek:

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Note to David Thorpe:

This BBS will crucify you for every injury Kevin Martin sustains.

Yours truly,
    Wayne Hall

5. Strawman

Strawman Member

thanks for the link

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

K-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-MartK-Mart

Rocket River
    "Chris Everette!" - Jim Rome
    :p

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

the important piece for all the haters claiming Kevin Martin is injury-prone:

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

If 3970238573 athletes can call themselves 'Superman," Then I think it is okay that two guys be called "K-Mart."

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that goes for a lot of other players as well. some fans these days think that a player who had a toe injury, a finger injury, the flu a couple of times, and a bruised hip or something is someone who has "chronic injuries". they don't realize that's not the real definition of a chronic injury is the same injury lingering over a period of time. Like Tmac's back, for example.

Martin, butler, both dont have chronic injuries. I wouldnt evne put Yao in that class until last year, since one of his injuries was an infection and another was a bad accident.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

Think about it...That team had no weak link in their starting 5. ALL 5 players were All-star caliber players.

Billups/Rip/Prince/Sheed/Ben

I think this is what the Rockets are aiming for...instead they won't panic and break the team up like Detroit did...and we need to stay healthy...oh and they would definitely be more offense than defense.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

KMart is still the best bargain store in my heart.

12. MandM's

MandM's Member

Never heard of this guy Thorpe. Who cares what he thinks?

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i said not too long ago that this team would have a lineup of players who could all average 15 a game...the whole starting 5, each 15 a game...so far so good, it may happen

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good read; actually insifgtful.

BTW - by what name shall our wunderkind be known?

15. Moahst

Moahst Member

This interview did not get me extremely excited for Kevin's arrival. In particular, I was not very fond of the part about "It has always been up to me, starting each year some time around the All-Star break, to find a way to really get him motivated at the highest level" and the implied insecurity behind Thorpe saying that he was excited that the Rockets intended to hold him to the defensive tenacity of his second year in the league. Have we traded away T-Mac for another T-Mac?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This guy sounds a lot brighter than Wayne Hall. I don't think he's a physical trainer like Hall or Falsone is. I think he is more like John Lucas who teaches trains people how to ball.

17. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I dunno. Maybe its because hes been KM's trainer since college and probably knows his game better than anyone else... :rolleyes:

18. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Maybe you should do a little research before yout type.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[Rockets.com] Interview with David Thorpe on Kevin Martin

http://www.nba.com//rockets/news/david_thorpe_dishes_on_what_ma_2010_03_03.html

Very interesting interview with David Thorpe, ESPN analyst and trainer who worked extensively with Martin in Sacramento. Mods, feel free to merge this elsewhere if you don't feel it deserves its own thread.

Thorpe discusses the following topics at depth in the interview: how his partnership came about, becoming an elite foul-drawer, his unorthodox shooting mechanics, his fit with the Rockets, Kevin's defense.

[rquoter]
    HOUSTON - Few people, if any, are more familiar with Kevin Martin’s basketball prowess than ESPN.com NBA analyst and Executive Director of The Pro Training Center, David Thorpe. Martin and Thorpe first began working together more than eight years ago, back when Martin was a largely unknown shooting guard for Western Carolina. Since that time, the two men have developed a strong bond, frequently communicating after games (Thorpe says he watches nearly all of Martin’s contests live) and reuniting every summer at Thorpe’s training facility in Clearwater, Florida to continue building upon the hoops foundation which has made Martin one of the more prolific scorers in the NBA today.

Fans who might have found themselves somewhat unaware of Martin’s unique skill set during his stint in Sacramento have certainly received a rather revealing glimpse into his abilities recently; the 6th year guard is averaging 31 points per game and 51 percent shooting during his last three contests. But there’s still much more to learn of course, so in order to gain additional insight into Houston’s new starting two-guard, Rockets.com spent more than an hour chatting with Mr. Thorpe about his prized pupil.

JCF: When did you and Kevin begin working together and how did that partnership come about?

DT: His college coach, Steve Shurina, was telling me about this really skinny, fast shooting guard he had that scored 22 points a game as a freshman but really all he did was shoot threes. He said teams started really crowding him with little guys and he couldn’t do anything because he really couldn’t dribble. And he played with four seniors the year before who were going to be graduating and he had nothing really coming back to help him so he thought Kevin was going to have a really tough time scoring if couldn’t create his own shot and make opportunities for himself.

He also said he thought Kevin didn’t really love getting hit or enjoy taking contact and thought maybe we could help him get used to that because he knew Kevin would face much more of that the next year since he would be his team’s only real threat on offense. So Kevin drove down from Ohio to my place in Clearwater that summer before he was to begin his sophomore year in college.

[/rquoter]

#19 durvasa, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    4 people like this.
  20. Convictedstupid

Great read. Repped.