ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
DuBose: Rockets-Blazers: Behind the numbers

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

Is AT&T dsl internet good for online gaming?
Tags:  at&t, gaming, internet Tags
lue03 is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
lue03
Contributing Member
lue03 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodlue03 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2009
Member: #40293
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=11575

Sponsored Link
SwoLy-D is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT&P website
Maintenance In Progress

AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask that you please try back again later.
akm1
WTH?

So... are we going to discuss this, or do you just want to give us a URL and we stare at each other for a long time?

C'mon, man, at least ask some questions.

YES.

tested911 is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
tested911
tested911 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetested911 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9574
It's crap! Well when I had it it was.. I think it's a hit or miss thing because I have some friends who like it but they aren't as download/gaming hog like I am. Go Comcast if you want the fastest connection. Currently getting 14-16 mb down and 3-4.5 up.. This is before Docsis 3.0 with a Motorola SB6120 modem.

How much bandwith do I use? 4 laptops, 1 desktop, Xbox 360, Ps3, Netflix on 3 devices.. All while constantly running bittorent with items reaching 1mb download..

If I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon and the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him. - MJ

SwoLy-D is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tested911
How much bandwith do I use? 4 laptops, 1 desktop, Xbox 360, Ps3, Netflix on 3 devices.. All while constantly running bittorent with items reaching 1mb download..
Wait a moment. You use ALL OF THOSE constantly AND simultaneously? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. You might run two or three, but... all of those? Really?

DonkeyMagic is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
DonkeyMagic
Contributing Member
DonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsDonkeyMagic is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: May 2006
Member: #18051
i use to play CS and Day of Defeat a few years back with ATT dsl. I was skeptical because i always had cable before, but really there wasnt much difference. Granted, the amount of servers with the desired ping was little less but i had no significant problems.

tested911 is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
tested911
tested911 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetested911 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoLy-D
Wait a moment. You use ALL OF THOSE constantly AND simultaneously? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. You might run two or three, but... all of those? Really?
3 adults and 5 kids in the house... It's not an exaggeration. Maybe 1 or 2 devices are not on but we definitely use the bandwidth.

If I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon and the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him. - MJ

wreck is offline Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
wreck
Contributing Member
wreck is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19401
i have yahoo dsl and i get a lag whenever videos are running on someones laptop whenever im playing xbox live. i also get disconnected when my phone rings.

RoxSqaud is offline Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
RoxSqaud
RoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereRoxSqaud is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30323
Quote:
Dayummm....that would kill my connection on COD.

madmonkey37 is offline Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
madmonkey37
Contributing Member
madmonkey37 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodmadmonkey37 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12745
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck
i also get disconnected when my phone rings.
You need to use one of those filters on your phones, should have came with your modem.

I have At&t DSL, its not fastest internet out there, but its cheap and stable. I never had any outages since ive had it. If your the only person using a lot of bandwidth then dsl will be fine, but if other people in your home use a lot of bandwidth or watch videos then your games will lag.

SwoLy-D is offline Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
Quote:
3 adults and 5 kids in the house... It's not an exaggeration. Maybe 1 or 2 devices are not on but we definitely use the bandwidth.
Ok, so no one caught this...?

3 adults? (threesome?)
5 kids? (... and counting?)

Mr.Scarface is offline Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
Mr.Scarface
Mr.Scarface is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodMr.Scarface is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13123
i switch from DSL to Uverse internet only. It's great. I have 18 meg download, 2mbp upload.....im paying $55 a month.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/internet-landing.jsp

Mr.Scarface is offline Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Mr.Scarface
Mr.Scarface is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodMr.Scarface is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2003
Member: #13123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface
i switch from DSL to Uverse internet only. It's great. I have 18 meg download, 2mbp upload.....im paying $55 a month.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/internet-landing.jsp
plus u don't have the bandwidth caps of Comcast. Max speed for Uverse is 24 Meg download.

Royals Ego is offline Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Royals Ego
Royals Ego is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRoyals Ego is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRoyals Ego is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRoyals Ego is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26419
been using them for 7+ years, roughly 1-1.5mbps and its fine for me, only issue i ever had was when my modem died, i used it for at least 6 years, they replaced it immediately for free

juicystream is offline Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
juicystream
Contributing Member
juicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2425
1.5Mbps didn't cut it for Halo's big team. 3Mbps was ok, but wouldn't recommend them. The service sucked. I haven't played online since switching to cable.

Rowdy4Life is offline Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Rowdy4Life
Rowdy4Life is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #39752
Always had Comcast, just got Uverse and cant believe it took me this long to switch over, it is AMAZING.

Since seeing the difference, my parents and uncle have both switched over to Uverse. Used to have issues with XBOX LIVE using the wireless adapter, now it is as clean as if it was a wired connection.

Also like the fact that their modem has a built in wireless router, much faster than my NetGear/Linxus routers.

Also love the HD service on Uverse TV.

Vanilla Rice is offline Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Vanilla Rice
Vanilla Rice is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #33002
Uverse user as well, no issues with online gaming.

lue03 is offline Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
lue03
Contributing Member
lue03 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodlue03 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Member: #40293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Rice
Uverse user as well, no issues with online gaming.
Can I just get the internet with that or do I need the tv package?

WillG is offline Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
WillG
WillG is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30194
Damn 45 bucks for 6mbps? I get 20mbps from comcast for less than that.

fmullegun is offline Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
fmullegun
Contributing Member
fmullegun is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34369
i have u verse and it is faster than the comcast service i had. i had the standard service from comcast and i have the fastest uverse they could give me. 12 i think. uverse is cheaper than cc was with tv and dvr. also can record 2 hd shows at one time. the speed for both depend on your locatiion and for comcast if your cable connections are old it will be slower.

UTKaluman597 is offline Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #20
UTKaluman597
Contributing Member
UTKaluman597 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4935
The question is when will UVERSE be available in the suburbs? And on that note, whats the best ISP/tv provider for the Sugar Land area?? Comcast blows.