ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

Can I throw away other people's mail?
Kyakko is offline Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Kyakko
Contributing Member
Kyakko is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6616
I've been living at my house for over a year and a half and still get the previous owner's mail. Some of them are marked urgent, forward etc... I think they may be from collections.

Anyways, I wrote on the letters "please forward, longer lives here" on about a dozen of them, but they still keep on coming (I throw away junk mail sent to them). I'm getting kind of irritated by this. Can I legally start throwing the letters away?

Sponsored Link
bobrek is offline Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
bobrek
Vamos Los Astros
bobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsbobrek is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #724
Have you contacted the post office? I'd et them know that mail to folks that no longer live at that address is still being delivered.

All of Jordan's championships are tainted, because he never had to face Michael Jordan in the playoffs.

Dr of Dunk is offline Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Dr of Dunk
Clutch Crew
Dr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrek
Have you contacted the post office? I'd et them know that mail to folks that no longer live at that address is still being delivered.
This is what I'd do if you haven't already.

Ronnie Brewer is my favorite Rocket of all time!

Kyakko is offline Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Kyakko
Contributing Member
Kyakko is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6616
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrek
I'll do that. I don't think the previous owners forwarded their mailing address and somehow, I don't think the post office will just start returning their mail automatically. I've already written enough "return to sender" notes but neither the sender or the post office seems to get the message. If they keep on coming after I do that, then can I start shredding their mail?

SirCharlesFan is offline Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
SirCharlesFan
Contributing Member
SirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsSirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsSirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boardsSirCharlesFan is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Apr 1999
Member: #410
I've been throwing away the old renters mail at my place for months. The mail man said if you put your name somewhere on the inside of the mailbox, they can't/won't deliver mail addressed to anyone else. Don't know if that's true or not.

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

-White Men Can't Jump

Fiah is offline Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Fiah
Fiah is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16456
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCharlesFan
I've been throwing away the old renters mail at my place for months. The mail man said if you put your name somewhere on the inside of the mailbox, they can't/won't deliver mail addressed to anyone else. Don't know if that's true or not.
I did this too and the mailman still puts mail in the box when its clearly marked with my name.

Space Ghost is online now Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Space Ghost
Contributing Member
Space Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSpace Ghost is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #80
Having a PO Box for years, I always keep getting different peoples mail. I used to put it back in the mail, now I just throw it away if it has my number/address on it.

Blake is offline Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #8
Blake
Contributing Member
Blake is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBlake is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBlake is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBlake is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBlake is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBlake is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Apr 2003
Member: #11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyakko
I've been living at my house for over a year and a half and still get the previous owner's mail. Some of them are marked urgent, forward etc... I think they may be from collections.

Anyways, I wrote on the letters "please forward, longer lives here" on about a dozen of them, but they still keep on coming (I throw away junk mail sent to them). I'm getting kind of irritated by this. Can I legally start throwing the letters away?
mark "no longer at address, return to sender" on them and leave them in your mailbox. better than continuing to receive them

B-Bob is offline Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
B-Bob
Contributing Member
B-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldB-Bob is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6273
Dude, we have KEPT getting the one person's crap going on three years in our new house. For Xmas, she got what was clearly a gift package. TWICE I ran down the UPS guy when he left it on the porch and said "Hey, she doesn't live here." And he would say "okay, thanks," take the package... and then redeliver when we weren't home.

We gave up and opened the package and now have a nice set of copper kitchen containers.

Invisible Fan is offline Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
Invisible Fan
Contributing Member
Invisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
mark "no longer at address, return to sender" on them and leave them in your mailbox. better than continuing to receive them
^This

StaticC4 is offline Old 01-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #11
StaticC4
StaticC4 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31622
What I do is that I just write RTS(Return To Sender) then put it back in the mail box if it ever happens.

IROC it is offline Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
IROC it
Contributing Member
IROC it is Omer Asik -- working the boardsIROC it is Omer Asik -- working the boardsIROC it is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #151
Depends on what it is.

If it looks important, i.e. bills, letters, etc. I return to sender...

If it's like a mass publication newsletter or obvious junk mail, it's 86'd.

5 years at our house, btw... and we still get stuff. Only one previous owner though, and it was the realtor.

BetterThanEver is offline Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
BetterThanEver
Contributing Member
BetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the pointsBetterThanEver is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25693
If you forward the mail, the sender will never know to stop sending you mail.
On most mail, you can just cross out the address and write "RTS-MLNA-UTF". It's the postal service's abbreviation for "Return to Sender-Moved Left No Address-Unable to Forward".

Unfortunately, 3rd class or pre-sorted bulk rate mail will not be returned to the sender. It will be tossed by the post office and you will still get it.

I believe it's a federal crime, if you throw away another person's mail though.

Morey keeps saying that Patterson was ranked 6th on their draft board. If that is the case, he either got real lazy and didn't do a lot of scouting or he got one F'd up draft board.

(edit)...my top 10 ranking
(edit)...Patterson either 12 or 13.
(edit)...6. Greg Monroe 7. Al-Farouq Aminu 8. Paul George 9. Cole Aldrich 10. James Anderson

leroy is offline Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
leroy
Contributing Member
leroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchleroy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5178
We're still getting mail for the people that lived in our house before the people we bought it from...and we've been there 2 years. It goes in the trash at this point. I don't even look to see if it's important or not.

DaDakota is offline Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
We have lived in our current house for 7 years, and we still get christmas cards for the people that owned the house before us....now we just toss em.

DD

Smokey is offline Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #16
Smokey
Contributing Member
Smokey is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodSmokey is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #808
That's funny. I've done the same thing. I got so tired of writing return to sender, I just dropped it back in the outgoing mail slot right there at the community mailboxes.

juicystream is online now Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
juicystream
Contributing Member
juicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemjuicystream is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2425
I just trash them.

SwoLy-D is offline Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #18
SwoLy-D
Contributing Member
SwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldSwoLy-D is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2001
Member: #2873
No, you cannot. Next!

moestavern19 is offline Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #19
moestavern19
Contributing Member
moestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1017
Sure you can, nobody cares.

Surfguy is offline Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
Surfguy
Contributing Member
Surfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneSurfguy is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #752
for a while, i got annual packages of steaks when i moved in to my house. it was some kind of annual gift from a client as the former homeowner worked from home. hey...i come home and find that on my doorstep with it marked as perishable...it's mine. it's the previous homeowner's fault for not updating his address with his client. but, those stopped after a few years. it was good while it lasted.