1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2010 NFL Draft Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 4, 2010.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Now that our season is over, gotta start looking at some of the draft prospects. Looks like we'll be picking in the #18-#20 range but I'll also post the highly ranked prospects since a trade is always possible. I'll post the positions in order of the Texans offseason priority (as I see it). Feel free to add...

Cornerback:
    1. Joe Haden (5-11 189 lbs) - Likely a Top 10 pick, best CB in the draft.
    2. Patrick Robinson (5-11 194 lbs) - Mid to late 1st rounder, likely option.
    3. Perrish Cox (6-0 198 lbs) - Borderline 1st rounder at best.

Safety:
    1. Eric Berry (5-11 203 lbs) - Top 5 pick, best Safety prospect since Reed.
    2. Earl Thomas (5-10 197 lbs) - Mid 1st rounder, likey option.
    3. Taylor Mays (6-3 230 lbs) - Mid to late 1st rounder, physical specimen.

DT:
    1. Ndamukong Suh (6-4 300 lbs) - Top 3 pick, pipe dream.
    2. Gerald McCoy (6-4 297 lbs) - Top 10 pick.
    3. Terrance Cody (6-5 365 lbs) - Mid 1st rounder, likely option.

RB:
    1. CJ Spiller (5-11 195 lbs) - Top 15 pick, homerun threat plus KR.
    2. Javhid Best (5-10 195 lbs) - Late 1st rounder, unbelievable speed.
    3. Toby Gerhart (6-1 235 lbs) - Late 1st rounder at best, could be FB.

More to come...

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

I hope we get Taylor Mays

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why? With the way Pollard, a fourth year player, played, we already have our in the box safety. Now we need to go get us a ballhawk who can play CF for our defense. Earl Thomas would be my choice out of the two.

I still think maybe a CB or DT would be the higher priority though barring what happens in FA.

4. Scottay

Scottay Contributing Member

If we can get Jerry Hughes and/or Terrance Cody, I would be pleased with the outlook of the D-Line.

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Damn, I was hoping Toby would not be rated that high. Maybe he'll run slow at the combine and slip into the 2nd or 3rd.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pollard get inserted in the line up when Barber got injured?

It would be awesome if Mays fell that far but I doubt it, Thomas is an option but I wouldn't be so quick to proclaim the safety position "secured" by Pollard.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Like I said, he's a late 1st rounder at best and he could very well slip into the 2nd. I think he'll be in the 4.6 Forty range and if he projects more of a FB, he could slip even further.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Im hoping for Earl Thomas or Spiller in the 1st rd. One mock had us taking Dez Bryant.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Did you watch the Texans this season?

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

How many starting free safeties did the Texans have this year?? And would Dante be able to switch over to Free safety if the draft doenst lend us a solid starter?? Robinson likes to hit, and the comparisons to Rod Woodson would not be out of the question.

I dont think you can go wrong with the best available DT, DB, or OL though.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Poor Toby Gerhart.

He's going to be compared to Tommy Vardell nonstop for the next 4 months.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thank you. If Pollard hasn't secured the safety spot on this team, than we need a ton of help. I say that because Pollard played his position better than everybody but maybe four people on this team.

I wouldn't mind it if Gerhardt somehow slipped to us in the second.

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Pollard came in basically off of the streets after he was cut by KC because of "attitude problems". Dude brought a punch you in the face mentality along with Cushing that was sorely lacking with our defense. Our run defense was horrible the first three weeks. Pollard comes in and everything changes, he makes game changing plays and did so all season long. We really need to lock him up, it may be tough seeing as he was money and is a free agent. Not sure where we go with the first pick. Def need a DT but our track record drafting them has been atrocious

14. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I don't see us drafting a safety early. I think the likely scenario is that they would sign pollard and move Quinn over to the other spot. Its weird..even though we haven't drafted a CB is the first since Danta, we have drafted a ton of CB's in the mid to late rounds that haven't panned out. I'm thinking they my go RB or reach for a DT after those listed aren't there.

15. desihooper

Supporting Member

Yes, Pollard took over for Barber, but it was after he was signed off the street and Barber blew a coverage in the Titans game (leaving CJ open when he split out wide). All the while, the starting FS was Eugene Wilson. So Pollard took over the SS position and helped shore up our run defense. What we need is a young, rangy centerfielder in the backfield that can cover deep and come down and help in run support. Wilson is pretty good at playing CF, not so much a willing tackler.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm not saying Pollard was terrible, but that frame of mind is what makes us so mediocre. Whatever happened to the fantastic signing of Will Demps and how he (another bandaid over the problem) was supposed to sign with us to be our safety back there?

Pollard fits well with the defense as a run stoping safety but wouldn't it be better if the guy had a bawlhawking presence such as Taylor Mays or Earl Thomas back there also?

Mays reminds me a lot of Sean Taylor with his size and athleticism that would be my number one choice. He would be great back there with his old teammate B Cush. But I really doubt he'll drop that far for the Texans to scoop up.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And yes, unfortunately, I watched pretty much every single game. :(

18. desihooper

Supporting Member

I'd call Earl Thomas a balhawking FS - said so earlier in this thread. Taylor Mays, the knock on him is that he's not a cover safety, and he's just a big hitter. So in essence, I guess we agree. If you think Pollard adds enough to be a starter on your defense as a SS, you can justify adding a playmaker in the backfield like Thomas to be the FS. Pollard and Mays in the backfield would remind me too much of a CC Brown and Glen Earl - albeit upgraded in talent.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I see where you're coming from, Mays has been often compared to a LB back there so that is probably good reasoning as to why. I'd hate to have a Roy Williams Jr. 'the safety' back their instead of an Ed Reed with way less speed and play making ability.

When you think about it both of those guys resemble both Sean Taylor, the hardhitter with so so hands, but size and athleticism to compensate. And Thomas with great playmaking ability with a knack to sniff out the play and make a play on the ball.

Either way, I'm thinking we are solely focusing on that safety position and from there possibly a RB (doubtful) in the next round more likely will be a DT or CB to get the defense more stable.

20. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I really like defensive tackle Brian Price of UCLA. I also like Earl Thomas of UT and Taylor Mays of USC. All of them would be great pickups and fill needs on the defense. I also love Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate. I think he is the perfect slot receiver and is a clone of Percy Harvin. I don't think Kevin Walter will be back and I know they will cut Andre Davis. If all those defensive players off the board, Tate would be a major upgrade over David Anderson and would also be a great returner. This draft is very weak at the cornerback position and there is only one player who is a first round talent and that is Joe Haden but he will be gone by #20.