1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Chinese nicknames for Rockets players, plus their huge following in China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Munir Ming, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

Someone has asked somewhere about the Chinese nicknames for Rockets players. Here I get some. The translation is always kind of weird. Sorry for that.

Brooks is called The Little Bu, or the Little Black Bean, as his size is not that big.

Scola is called Si Karat, as his skill set is as valuable as a four-karat diamond. Si is four in Chinese.

Lowry is called The little tank, because even though he is not big, he is really strong.

Von Wafer used to be called Weifu King. Weifu is what Wafer sounds like in Chinese. Weifu King is also a kongfu master in a popular Chinese martial novel.

Landry is called God Bird, as he always flies high to get a slam dunk.

Almost every Rockets player has a Chinese nickname. But on other NBA teams, only superstars have Chinese nicknames. It’s very interesting that these Chinese nicknames are only shared by the Chinese fans. The players maybe don’t even know they are called in such way in China.

For example, Chris Paul is called The Bee King, as Hornets are translated into some kind of bees in Chinese. Tim Duncan is called The Stone Buddha, as he is solid all the time.

Usually, only superstars on other NBA teams get their Chinese nicknames, but Rockets players do have the privilege to get one even if they are not superstars. What matters is that they are Rockets, definitely the most popular NBA team in China.

During every game broadcast live on CCTV, the hosts are asking fans to text A (which means you support the host team) or B (which means you support the away team) to a certain number. Most fans always heavily favor rockets every time. It's quite common that like over 90 percent of the fans are for Rockets during many games. Even when playing NBA giants like the Lakers or the Celtics, the Rockets are favored by more than half of the fans.

The following part is about why Chinese fans are so crazy about Yao and the Rockets. It’s kind of long and boring. If you are not interested, you can just skip.

The Chinese are really eager for international appreciation and international appreciation is what Yao has exactly brought to his fellow Chinese. Most Chinese have some kind of inferiority complex. Their nation, once a glorious one in history, was humiliated again and again by Western powers in more than a century between 1840 and 1949. After the PRC was founded, there was great animosity between Communist China and the West. Even in the 1980s and 1990s, most Chinese felt they were like the outcast as their country was always negatively covered in Western media.

Yao has a big and positive image that most Chinese would like Westerners to get of China and the Chinese people. That partly explains why so many Chinese are there for Yao.

Sure, there are lots of Yao haters in China, but the majority is for him and for his teammates on the Rockets team. Even the bench players are widely recognizable to most Chinese fans.

5 people like this.
  2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Those are some pretty good nicknames. I like 4-carat for Scola. Invaluable skillset and a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I have often wondered if people in China can see how good Chuck Hayes is. I figure they aren't as exposed to the hype machine and not as blinded by the flash of hammer dunks and no-look passes. Does porcupine translate into something cool in Chinese?

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Little black bean, i love it!

5. windz

windz Member

this is a good one...

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Chinese Nicknames > Any nicknames clutchfans come up with. Really though, I've heard some of worst, corniest, uncreative names in the history of nicknames through this board. Keep it up, China.

And who says China fans only like Yao? They seem to be very loyal to a lot of our players.

7. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

how does"lazy eye and body" translate? ;)

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

What is Yao's nickname in China?

9. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

T-Mac is called, "She's like the wind"

10. 1010nick

1010nick Member

The little giant

because at the time he came to us, he is only 24

11. 1010nick

1010nick Member

Budinger is called " Buding ge" which is " Brother buding" in English and "Buding" means Patch...

Battier is called " Bat man"

cook is called " chu zi"

Dorsey is called something like " big mouth"

Ariza is called " iron zha" Iron is from the chinese word " forge iron" because Ariza's poor shooting performence

12. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

In Nepal the villagers call Brian Cook 'Kin-tan-tee', which means 'man who is loved by many animals......who love him a lot, too...and so on.'

13. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

What is Yao's Chinese nickname? How about Yi?

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Thanks for giving us the Chinese nicknames. "God-bird" was my personal favorite.

It's great to know the fan support of the Chinese. I'm part Chinese myself but based here in the Philippines. When I surf the sina blogs of the Rox players, I know a lot of people are logging on and leaving messages of support.

How do the Chinese fans view the team ball approach of this year's team? It would be interesting to find out.

15. bloop

bloop Member

scola's nickname is awesome

I like AB's nickname also. there's a phrase in the Southwest "jumping bean" and reminds me of that. apt because he's small, fast and has hops

proud to have the support of knowledgeable (non homer) fans but it's important to note that the way the Rockets have been playing the last 2 years, there's a lot of knowledgeable American fans who appreciates the team as well... although they dont get a lot of national exposure, a lot of true NBA fans love how this team plays

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Thanks for the reply.

What about the Aussie, David Andersen. Does he have a nickname?

17. 1010nick

1010nick Member

I forget that Battier has a more popular nickname, " The President"

18. 1010nick

1010nick Member

I dont think Andersen has a popular nickname, but some fans call him " Australian cannon"

19. 1010nick

1010nick Member

Yao Ming: The little giant or Big Yao

YI jianlian: Air Yi or "Ah Lian"

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The TV play-by-play announcer here in Houston, Bill Worrell, refers to Yao as "The Great Wall". That is not a nickname that has been embraced by everyone here in the U.S., but it is a nickname that is not uncommon to hear, and it is a nickname that most NBA fans in the U.S. are familiar with.