1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Dickerson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 29, 2009.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Michael dickerson has been trying to make a comeback since last season. I've been unable to find recent video of him, but should morey consider giving him a shot?

I'm not saying he's a solution to our tmac issue or that he's going to come in and stick for the long run, he's obviously a lot older now, about 34-35, but the point would be too bring him in to help out this year at the wing spot, especially if budinger is out for another month, maybe potentially even next year if he's still got the talent.

Pros:

-cheap, he's playing overseas right now i believe, he just wants a shot, so i'm sure he'd be ok with any kind of deal in the NBA

-he was always a solid all around player. He was a tough defender, solid ball handler, range out the 3 pt shot, good FT shooter, and could also drive. Basically all around skills.

-he's experienced, although he didnt play long in the league he was a big part of the Arizona Wildcats' championship run, did have some good years in the league and has still been around basketball since

-his injury was a groin/hamstring injury, not on weight bearing joint, or any joint, and he's healed completely from it based on what i read.

Cons;

-age, but he's had a lot of years off, so his miles arent as high as others his age...he also looked to be in great shape, pretty much looks like he did when he was a Rocket.

Basically i see him as the equivalent of a PJ brown pick up, but on the perimeter, meaning he's been around and appears to be too old, but has enough left to contribute as a vet. Also, he has the perfect personality for this team. He's quiet, a hard worker, unselfish, etc. Everything we already have.

Thoughts?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/12/ex-griz-michael-dickerson-health-six-years-after-i/
    http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/dickerson_081001.html

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

then

[​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

3. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Von Wafer with back problem is still better than Dickerson.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Von wafer can't pass an NBA physical. Wafer doesnt really defend. Wafer is effective mostly in short spurts, and wafer's emotions arent stable. Under those situations i wouldnt say he's better right now.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

fixed

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thanks

7. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Those things are true, but we only need a player that can play in short spurts right now. I would rather wait for Wafer to pass his physical then sign Michael Dickerson. But I did love the Cuttino Mobley and Michael Dickerson era, good times!

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The problem is we dont know that will be. It could be in a week or two or in a month or two. It may not be this season. Houston never gave a timetable, just said they'd check on it (him) again later. I dont think they now when he'll be able to pass it. Also, we dont need Wafer's type of offense as much this year. Landry is much more established this year. Ariza, although inefficient, is still an option offensively, which we didnt have last year. We just need someone who can fit into the system and blend in. Basically Dickerson would play the same role Budinger did in a very similar manner, but he'd probably drive more, draw more fouls and shoot less threes.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Micheal Dickerson couldn't for the past ten years.

We have a team loaded with defenders. Having a defensively challenged player isn't the worst thing in the world for this team.

How many times did you see Wafer lose his cool last season? You can count them on one finger. You guys are hilarious with your exaggeration of one incident where a young player got mad because he wanted to get out there and compete.

Morey knows better.

10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

That would be a pretty decent pick up. He was always a hussle player and definitely would fit in with this team. But i think we have enough wing players and our greater need is in the front court.

11. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I hear Pete Chilcutt is also available.

12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

which is why i never brought him up during the last ten years and that's why von shouldnt be brought up now.

We have a team loaded with defenders who aren't well rounded offensively. It would be nice to have one guy who you can put out there and not give up some offense or defense. The only guy we have now who sort of brings that is Lowry, maybe scola because of his def rebounding. Ariza is too inefficient and limited offensively to be that. Dickerson can shoot from anywhere,handle the ball, AND plays defense.

Uh. no he had issue more than once last year, not a a lot, but definitely not just once. Even if only two, that's two more than any other player not named ron had on our team. And there's no exaggeration, wafer has a history of it, which is why he never stuck on other teams. That was the question last year, how could such a talented guy not stick on a roster? Was it other GMs also exaggerating? No, he didnt defend well and he lost his cool. There's varying degress of "losing your cool" and it's not always going to make ESPN. Nothing wrong with wanting to compete, but you have to channel that emotion correctly, he didnt/doesnt. Its no lie he does it more often than the average player and a lot more often than our players.

Not sure what that's suppose to mean, morey didnt sign him for that very reason, he can't pass a physical.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

wrong era.... chilcutt was ending his career around the time dickerson was just beginning his, thanks for your insightful input anyway.

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Where is Chucky Brown?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Von is a better fit...

DD

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Sorry but common sense says you take the guy who is 10 years younger and has typically been healthy over the old guy who was so chronically injured he retired well before he was 30.

Oh, you want a guy who is both great on offense and defense? So do I but they don't exactly grow on trees or make less than $10 million a season. Unless Morey pulls off a great deal with McGrady's contract then we are forced to grab role players who best cover the team's deficiencies.

Speculation. Find me a link where he lost his cool outside of the LA game.

Morey called Von. He didn't call Michael Dickerson nor will he. How many 35 year old guards break back into the NBA after 6 years of being retired due to injury? I can't think of any.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

why is that? and again, Von CANT even sign a contract now. Even if he was a better fit he's not even eligible. Let's put his addition to rest until we know he can pass a physical because right now Yao seems like a good fit too, but he's sitting at home just like Wafer.

19. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

how did V - stupid fail the physical?

Was he out of shape or injured?

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Injured.