reupdadj1 is offline Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
reupdadj1
reupdadj1 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36571
Rockets' GM talks trades, Trevor and Russ vs. Wilt

Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON - The Rockets recently passed the quarter-pole mark of the '09-'10 regular season, so it seemed like the perfect time to catch up with General Manager Daryl Morey. What follows is the transcript of our converation, one which touches on a variety of subjects including the club's stockpiling of assets, team building philosophy and Morey's unique spin on a nickname which he can't seem to escape (no matter how much he tries).

Quote:
DM: Yeah, I mean this is the third biggest trade discussion time of the year. The trade deadline is the biggest obviously, then the draft and also now since as of two days ago almost all the players became available. So, yeah, a lot of phone calls and I do agree that we have a lot of players that teams want. We can provide financial relief, we can provide players who can help you win now, we can provide players who can help you for the future Ė so weíre sort of like Target right now in that we can provide everything under one roof. We can give it all and handle any need. Obviously our goals are high though, so Iíd expect nothing will happen. But if the right thing comes along and we can upgrade the team then thatís why Iím here.
Quote:
JCF: Of course. But when you say nothing will happen are you just talking about right now?

DM: Yeah, Iím just saying nothingís imminent. I guess our history would say that something will happen between now and February but itís probably going to be small. We usually do small things, soÖ

I think its a good read but if already posted or mentioned please delete!!!!

ROCKETS: Q&A with Daryl Morey: Rockets' GM Talks Shop

Comments Appreciated.....

Its my first post so enjoy

Sponsored Link
Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
I found this part hilarious:

Quote:
JCF: OK, let's look forward a little bit. Youíve stockpiled quite a few assets now. Iíd say there are a lot of guys who are currently outperforming their contracts Ė guys like Carl, Aaron, LuisÖ

DM: Well itís early still, so we donít know. Guys are playing great but you have to do it the whole year to know if someone is outplaying their contract.

Translation

DM: Screw you Jason Friedman. Don't make me say anything that will get quoted back to my ass when I sit down with these guys' agent in the offseason. Ask me this again and you are fired.

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20409
My favorite answer... and why I continue to adore Daryl Morey...

Quote:
Yeah, I guess, but I donít think of them as pieces Ė theyíre people. Thatís the other reason trades donít happen that often. These are people who are part of the community, part of everything. So even though we have all those things, itís going to take a lot for us to say, ĎLetís break apart this really solid group.í Itís going to have to take All-Star like talent coming our way for us to say, ĎThis is something we want to break up.í We like how our guys are growing together. We like how our guys are progressing. We think some of the guys on our team could develop into All-Star level players. So I think itís going to take a lot and thatís why I think thereís probably not a lot thatís going to happen. It will take a lot for us to break this up.
That makes me happy.

Depressio is offline Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Depressio
Contributing Member
Depressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Mar 2009
Member: #39392
Highlights for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Morey
DM: Well, weíre going to win 14 games at least Ė thatís one more than Charles Barkley predicted weíd win for the whole year. So we might only win 14 but weíve happily proved Charles wrong (laughs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Morey
DM: (laughs) Ouch. I donít think thatís accurate, actually. Iím much more under the radar and stay out of the spotlight. I think Iím more like the Dork Cat Stevens. Thatís what I want to be. (laughs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Morey (on Ariza)
DM: Exactly, and heís actually been better than he was last year. Weíre throwing a lot at him and heís going to go through some ups and downs but we believe in him and weíre thrilled Ė I hope he is. And everyone who thinks heís shooting too many threes should just blame me. We want him to shoot them. We want Trevor to either take threes or drive to the hoop.
And I love that some broadcasters are like, ĎStop shooting threes!í Well we shot 39 percent from three yesterday. But certain announcers complained more about it yesterday than anytime this year. Also, they had the brilliant advice that we should just take them when they go in - because they donít ever complain about them when they go in, they only complain when they miss. Why donít we complain about all our other shots that miss? That would be some brilliant analysis: if we shot 100 percent every night weíd be great Ė we might even be able to win the title if we shoot 100 percent. In fact, Iím going to recommend to Coach that we only take shots we make from now on. Thatís going to be something I recommend the next time I see Rick.

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
The other comment that struck me was when he's talking about the broadcasters saying "stop shooting threes".

Who was he talking about? Bill and Bull? I must have missed that because I muted the tv to work on homework while I watched. I guess I need to go back and watch the end again.

Depressio is offline Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Depressio
Contributing Member
Depressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDepressio is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesfan
Who was he talking about? Bill and Bull? I must have missed that because I muted the tv to work on homework while I watched. I guess I need to go back and watch the end again.
What are you, a COF (Clyde Only Fan)?!

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchmal
What are you, a COF (Clyde Only Fan)?!
I'm confused on exactly what you mean there??

Are you asking because I muted the tv when Bill and Bull were on?

No I had a final and I was trying to study while I semi-watched the game and chatted with the fine folks in chat. Listening to B & B makes it difficult to do all those things at once.

rockets934life is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
If the Rox are Target, what are the Knicks.....Ross???

ďWe were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now theyíre saying that Dell doesnít have the authority to make the trade?Ē said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. ďNow theyíre saying that Dell is an idiot, that he canít do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. Davidís drunk on power, and he doesnít give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesnít give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

durvasa is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
Its interesting that he went with Russell over Chamberlain. Maybe he just didn't want to anger Bill Simmons. But if adjusted +/- is the key measure he looks at (taking his response on that particular question semi-seriously), then perhaps that's what he's going by when he said that Ariza is better than last year?

abc2007 is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
abc2007
abc2007 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodabc2007 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24874
My favorite one...

Quote:
JCF: OK, let's look forward a little bit. Youíve stockpiled quite a few assets now. Iíd say there are a lot of guys who are currently outperforming their contracts Ė guys like Carl, Aaron, LuisÖ

DM: Well itís early still, so we donít know. Guys are playing great but you have to do it the whole year to know if someone is outplaying their contract.

bjshot is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
bjshot
bjshot is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19171
in term of team building, I understood what Morey did now and then. Find the winners. I can't agree him more. How do we define the winner?

1, play it right way (high BBIQ, play hard always)
2, healp the team win (make teammates look better)
3, young players will develop best and fast in a winning environment (once a loser, always loser.)
4, Shane Chulk and Luis is on the top of the list of winners. (which is the 3 Rockets whom I like most)
5, adjustable +/- will be the better stat to define a winner.

So clutch fans, forget about gay and randoph. Forget about the freakish atheletic. This team proves that BB is a team sport. If you play harder and smarter, you can win a lot of game even in NBA. if you play hard and smart with a superstar, you will win the WC.

In terms of team building, I think the team building has been the same. We just like to get guys who are winners. Itís pretty simple. We like guys who play the right way and focus on the team and on winning. I think whatís really been the story of our start is that a team full of those guys can really make an impact.

DM: But I think weíre making that ambiguous term real. With $40 million not playing, weíre still winning and still 14-11 against the hardest schedule in the league. So I think, even though itís a nebulous term, itís also factual. It comes from Coach Adelman and his philosophy, as well as my philosophy and the captains of the team Ė Shane, Chuck and Luis. It permeates from the top down but those are the kind of guys we like.

DM: No, I've got a real answer for you. One thing that sticks with me is a conversation I had with Jeff Van Gundy early on and itís really true; as usual, the best things are simple, right? Obviously you want to develop players but I think what weíre doing now is what he talked about that day: we were talking about having valuable players, like a high pick in the draft with a lot of potential. But thereís also another way to have players be valuable in this league and thatís to win. If you just win, then people realize that your players help you win, so I think in terms of the team building strategy, we just decided, ĎHey, weíll just win.í

bjshot is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
bjshot
bjshot is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19171
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa
Its interesting that he went with Russell over Chamberlain. Maybe he just didn't want to anger Bill Simmons. But if adjusted +/- is the key measure he looks at (taking his response on that particular question semi-seriously), then perhaps that's what he's going by when he said that Ariza is better than last year?
Adjusted +/- is obviously the best stat that show your ability to help team to win.

Depressio is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
Depressio
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesfan
I'm confused on exactly what you mean there??

Are you asking because I muted the tv when Bill and Bull were on?
Yes, that.

... but a joke.

durvasa is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjshot
Adjusted +/- is obviously the best stat that show your ability to help team to win.
Sure, assuming you can determine each player's adjusted +/- accurately.

Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
Quote:

Remember he was also a former Celtics employee?

crash5179 is offline Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
crash5179
Contributing Member
crash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardscrash5179 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2000
Member: #2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by reupdadj1
Rockets' GM talks trades, Trevor and Russ vs. Wilt

Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON - The Rockets recently passed the quarter-pole mark of the '09-'10 regular season,
I wish someone would explain to Jason and every reporter or columnist that if you don't understand horse racing lingo then don't use it. The quarter pole starts the last quarter of a horse race not the end of the 1st quarter. Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.

vince is offline Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
vince
vince is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1075
Morey is a great interview to listen to. Very open to answering questions.

pmac is offline Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
pmac
Contributing Member
pmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the pointspmac is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #25927
Quote:
Is Ariza's adjusted +/- higher or lower this season than it was last year?

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchmal
Yes, that.

... but a joke.
Gotcha.. just wanted to make sure I understood.

durvasa is offline Old 12-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
durvasa
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac
Is Ariza's adjusted +/- higher or lower this season than it was last year?
I don't think the difference, as per the basketballvalue calculations, is significant enough to answer one way or the other.