1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Game-By-Game Statistical Motion Chart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE MOTION CHART

This is a tool that lets you look at a wide range of statistics for every player on the Rockets roster for the 2009-2010 season. The main feature of this tool is the ability to see how a players stat progresses over time. Just hit the play button to watch the stats change with each game.

The default view shows a bar graph that tracks players' cumulative +/-, changing after each game. You can see that for the season so far, Ariza has the highest +/- (58) while Battier (3) and Scola (1) are near zero for the season.

You can manipulate this tool to show you any stat you can find in a box score and see how it changes with each player.

There are two other types of graphs besides the bar graph (the tabs in the upper right corner). The bubble chart (made famous by the website Gapminder) lets you compare two different stats on the same chart (so you could compare PPG to +/- for example). There is also a traditional line graph option.

A few more notes:

1. This is a work in progress. We all know Morey hates the box score and doesn't put much value in those type of stats. There are other stat sites out there and I am working on including some of their more sophisticated metrics.

2. This is a Google Applet, and it has limitations. For one, the chart has to progress in time. So it displays as years even though it's actually games (1901 is game 1, 1922 is game 22, etc.)

3. As yet I haven't found a way for people to set up the chart and link to things they want to share with others. This would be a nice feature to have for message board discussions.

4. I had to input these box scores manually, so if you see any data that looks wrong (click the 'Raw Data' tab at the bottom to see the stats), let me know and I will change it.

I would appreciate any feedback you can offer, good or bad. Just email me at rockets.stats@gmail.com

6 people like this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Very cool

Conclusion:
    Hayes is the horse of this team
    Battier and Scola need to be sent to the Viper. :grin:

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

4. halfling131

halfling131 Member

I like it. Also, when I was looking at the pretty graphs I got a notification:

"dmorey is now viewing this spreadsheet"

Is this the real dmorey??? who knows..

5. Commodore

whoa...

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's funny. When I looked at it, it showed halflingenius looking at it! Crazy hobbits. :grin:

Commodore, nice job. I like when people do neat stuff like this.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I couldn't get it to show at first, but finally can see it.

Very cool stuff. I like the view of it in line graph form too... very cool to see the up and down strictly in linear form, though the motion part is neat as well.

I had fun changing the topic on the side as well. Steals and Rebounds etc... awesome work.

This is why I love this forum.. you all are so very smart. Well okay not all of you, but these sort of posts increase the overall curve ;)

One question shouldn't chuck be a center?

8. halfling131

halfling131 Member

Hi to you!

9. Commodore

Yeah I still consider him a power forward in my mind, but that could go either way (especially since he guards the opposing center).

10. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

awesome chart! good job.

truck loads of interesting stat material to view thr

11. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Coolest thing ever! Thanks for all of the hard work!

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was awesome, I hope you keep it up....

What would be really interesting as well would be some way to track the actual body MOVEMENT on the floor to see who is actually moving off the ball as well as rotating well on defense.

DD

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And Budinger at +44 with as few minutes as he plays is really impressive, he needs a lot more floor time.

DD

14. Sam the Ram

Sam the Ram Member

This is the best thing I have seen on the forum in a long time.
    Commodore, great job. this is wonderful.
    and kudos on putting in all of the stats manually!

15. choujie

choujie Member

It shows our bench is just too good for most teams to handle, average more + points in less minutes than starters.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A fine example of what has made this place so special over the years.

Great job Commodore...........

17. choujie

choujie Member

Gotta give Morey major props.

From a team which only had 4 players scored in a playoff game to a team beats other team's bench regularly even without their 2 biggest stars in just 3 to 4 years.

Unbelievable job.

18. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Wow Chuck dominated that thing. Great work Commodore, always cool to see player analysis

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Conclusion, Scola is the greatest 3PT shooter on the team! :grin:

20. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Awesome tool. Great work.

The best thing about this is that it gives you an idea of the variance in each stat. For example, you can see that A/TO is surprisingly stable (much more than FG%). The most amazing part of that is that Battier consistently leads the team, even ahead of Lowry.

Also, the +/- is pretty astounding. I had no idea Chuck was that incredible. Not only is he right at the top, he never dips low ever. Perhaps defensive stats have less variance than offensive stats. I would think this is b/c defense is inherently an aggregate of multiple skills.