ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract
Hayesfan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20409
Found this in my email this morning... http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/08/h...n-nba-history/

pretty interesting and cool for Chuck. Going from one of the Tallest in Yao to the Shortest in the course of mere months...

Quote:
Just call him the Muggsy Bogues of the pivot.

The NBA has been in business since 1946-47. But never in league history has there ever been a regular starting center as short as Houston's 6-foot-6 Chuck Hayes.

That counts all those guys in tight shorts who played in dingy gyms before there even was a shot clock. Guys in the pivot wearing Chuck Taylors weren't as low to the ground as Chuck Hayes.

FanHouse went to the Elias Sports Bureau, which researched NBA starting lineups since the first NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946. Nobody could be found as short as Hayes who was a team's regular starter at center.

So Hayes, just like the 5-3 Bogues being the shortest player in NBA history, feels like a pioneer.

"I can't even think of the last shortest center,'' said Hayes, averaging 5.4 points and 6.7 rebounds in 24.0 minutes. "It's unbelievable. It's kind of funny. When you have the starting lineups, (the announcer) goes from taller to shorter (with the Rockets starting 6-8 shooting guard Trevor Ariza, 6-8 small forward Shane Battier and 6-9 power forward Luis Scola). ... We go from the tallest center to the shortest, and we still find a way to win games.''

The starting center the previous seven seasons for the Rockets (11-9) was 7-6 Yao Ming, barely shorter than 7-7 Gheorghe Muresan for being the tallest player in NBA history. But Yao is out for the season with a foot injury.

Enter Hayes who, due to desperation, was thrown in as the starter for the final four games of the Western Conference finals last May against the Lakers after Yao went down. In the previous series against Portland, 7-2 Dikembe Mutombo was lost for the season due to a knee injury, and Mutombo since has retired.

"It's who we had,'' Rockets coach Rick Adelman said of having to turn to Hayes, normally a power forward.

So when had Hayes previously been a starting center?

"Not since junior high,'' he said. "Hart-Ransom Junior High in Modesto, Calif. I was 6-2.''

The Rockets during the offseason brought in 6-11 David Andersen to possibly be the starting center. But Hayes beat Andersen out during training camp, and the fifth-year man has started all 20 games this season.

"Chuck is incredible,'' Adelman said of Hayes, who can guard players at all five positions. "He's so gifted defensively. He's never been given the credit. ... But what Chuck Hayes has done (defensively) this year has just been incredible. ... He doesn't have the length to go block shots. ... But nobody moves him. He strips the ball. He gets steals. He gets charges. He knows exactly what we're doing defensively.''

All of this, and the 240-pound Hayes often is looking up a half foot in the pivot.

"I've never heard of a 6-6 center,'' Ariza said. "It's like high school.''

It certainly isn't like the NBA. The most notable short center in league history has been 6-7 Wes Unseld, a Hall of Famer who manned the middle for the Bullets (now Washington Wizards) from 1968-81, including helping lead them to the 1978 NBA title.

From 1988-95, when Don Nelson brought small ball to Golden State during his first stint as Warriors coach, he used the likes of 6-7 Rod Higgins and 6-7 Tom Tolbert at center. But nobody 6-6 or shorter has been found who has been a regular NBA starting center.

"We went back to the beginning,'' said Elias researcher Sal D'Agostino. "But it's unofficial. We don't measure the players. We go by listed measurements.''

D'Agostino found Dennis Rodman, which Elias has listed at 6-6, having started one December game and 13 games from Feb. 28 on during the 1997-98 season for Chicago. But Rodman wasn't the Bulls' regular center, having filled in at times for 7-2 Luc Longley.

And Rodman, who had been listed at 6-8 when he entered the NBA, was listed at 6-7 in the 1997-98 NBA Register. The Web site BasketballReference.com has him at 6-7.

D'Agostino found some instances of teams having quirky short-term lineups. Cliff Hagan, a 6-4 Hall of Fame guard and forward, got four starts at center in 1963-64 for the St. Louis Hawks, and 6-4 Hall of Fame guard Walt Frazier started at center for New York on Nov. 1, 1972 at Kansas City-Omaha.

But nobody 6-6 or shorter has started 20 straight NBA games at center. The way Hayes is going, he might make it 82.

"I'll do whatever they need me to do to help the team win games,'' Hayes said. "I'm sure I can bring it up. I'll be a point center.''

Hayes probably could do that. He said he played point guard, small forward and power forward at Modesto Christian High School. That was before he played power forward at Kentucky, where he already had grown to his current height of 6-6.

Then again, is that really his current height? Rockets general manager Daryl Morey believes Hayes is shorter than that.

"He's about a half-inch taller than me and I'm 6-4 so he's probably closer to 6-5,'' Morey said. "I know he's not 6-6. ... He's got the lateral quickness of a guard and the strength of a center and his basketball IQ is as good as I've ever seen.''

Morey admits Hayes is "pretty limited offensively, and it's probably generous to call him that.'' With Morey saying defense is "harder to quantify,'' that's the main reason Hayes went undrafted in 2005.

Hayes often has been overlooked. Pun intended.

So much for NBA players watching film. More than a month into the season, Hayes said counterparts at center still get a bit overconfident going against him.

"It's kind of funny because everybody kind of assumes it's going to be an easy basket when they post me up,'' Hayes said. "Defensively, you've got to use your speed and you've got to find different angles. You've got to be crafty offensively.''

Let's just say it's often a struggle on offense even when Hayes isn't being guarded. Hayes is shooting 50 percent from the foul line, which is at least an improvement from last season's 36.8.

What is it about these short centers and free-throw shooting? Unseld was a 63.3 percent career marksman and Rodman shot 58.4 percent.

But it all comes down to defense for Hayes. He recently helped limit 7-foot Clippers center Chris Kaman to 10 points, about half his average.

Lakers' 7-footer Andrew Bynum was averaging 20.8 points when Hayes helped hold him to 17 on Nov. 4. And Portland 7-footer Greg Oden averaged 4.0 points in his first two games this season against the Rockets.

"He makes up for his height with his quick hands defensively and his strong lower body,'' Oden said before last Saturday's third meeting with Houston, shortly before suffering a season-ending knee injury early in the game. "He has really strong legs and he can smack balls out and get a lot of steals. And he's still able to move people out and get rebounds. Whatever he lacks in size, he makes up with his skill and IQ."

Next up for Hayes is a Wednesday meeting with Cleveland's giant centers, 7-1 Shaquille O'Neal and 7-3 Zydrunas Ilgauskas. It figures to be just another day at his office in the paint.

Sponsored Link
durvasa is offline Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
There's than Unseld comparison again ...

vcchlw is offline Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
vcchlw
Contributing Member
vcchlw is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodvcchlw is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesfan
"I'll do whatever they need me to do to help the team win games,'' Hayes said. "I'm sure I can bring it up. I'll be a point center.''
Who needs point forwards any more?

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa
There's than Unseld comparison again ...
d, you are always ahead of the curve!

Carl Herrera is offline Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
I didn't realize Hayes' lack of height is at such a historical level. Wow.

I was also thinking whether, at any position, a team has had a whole foot of height difference between one year and another or between a starter and a backup (in past years, Chuck has come in for Yao at C at times). Has Boykins ever subbed for, say, JR Smith as a small SG? What about Nate Robinson and maybe one of NY's bigger wings (Jeffries, Chandler, etc.)?

DreamShakeFTW is offline Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
DreamShakeFTW
DreamShakeFTW is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2009
Member: #42999
Morey is 6'4?

Git r done, Morey!

Naija Texan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Naija Texan
Naija Texan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodNaija Texan is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #38304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamShakeFTW
Morey is 6'4?

Git r done, Morey!
They say he showed signs of being a beast during the annual Rockets offices/Local Media basketball tournament.

dachuda86 is offline Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
dachuda86
dachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsdachuda86 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 2008
Member: #31678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naija Texan
They say he showed signs of being a beast during the annual Rockets offices/Local Media basketball tournament.

SPLASH

devilsdandruff is offline Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
devilsdandruff
devilsdandruff is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43110
so now chuck hayes not even 6-6?
lol.

Dave_78 is offline Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Dave_78
Dave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDave_78 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Oct 2006
Member: #20252
After Chuck retires he will be remembered as being 6'4" or smaller. For some reason, people want to make the smaller players even smaller as time goes on. Barkley is routinely mentioned as being 6'4" when he was as much of 6'6" as any other person listed at that height.

Northside Storm is offline Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Northside Storm
Contributing Member
Northside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchNorthside Storm is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #29665
Hayes is the MAN. 6'6 with no vertical doing the work of a 7'6 man...with admittedly no vertical as well.

Hope in all things (especially the Rockets)

DreamShook is offline Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
DreamShook
DreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereDreamShook is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_78
After Chuck retires he will be remembered as being 6'4" or smaller. For some reason, people want to make the smaller players even smaller as time goes on. Barkley is routinely mentioned as being 6'4" when he was as much of 6'6" as any other person listed at that height.
The shorter you are the more amazing the stories are against gargantuan opponents. David VS Goliath is always news worthy.. They are starting to do this with D. Blair now too. I think he was 6'8'' when he came into the league now he has shrunk to 6'5''in the eyes of the broadcasters and journalists "And maybe even shorter than that, Jeff!"

Nice read!

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
If Yao is 7'6" then Chuck is just barely 6'6"

Ziggy is offline Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Ziggy
Contributing Member
Ziggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #543
Again, Hayes should ditch the NBA and go do basketball camps across the country. Way more money for him in that. I'd probably stop watching the Rockets and opt to watch him teach.

Smeg's Fantasy Football Coach of the Year 2013

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
Again, Hayes should ditch the NBA and go do basketball camps across the country. Way more money for him in that. I'd probably stop watching the Rockets and opt to watch him teach.
Ziggy where did that second quote in your sig come from? I don't remember reading that one.

durvasa is offline Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesfan
Ziggy where did that second quote in your sig come from? I don't remember reading that one.
http://web.archive.org/web/200803241...,307059.column

Hayesfan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by durvasa
Thanks D!

hello2 is offline Old 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
hello2
hello2 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #37008
I was listening to Kelly Dwyer (Balls Don't Lie) on the Rocketsí podcast and he was very complimentary of Rockets playing hard, but Chuck in particular.

ďEvery single bit of footwork is perfect, every anticipation is spot on, and all angles are taken care of.Ē

northeastfan is offline Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
northeastfan
northeastfan is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26413
Quote:
Hayes probably could do that. He said he played point guard, small forward and power forward at Modesto Christian High School. That was before he played power forward at Kentucky, where he already had grown to his current height of 6-6.
How can someone who played as a point guard in high school not have *any* offensive skills?

kikimama is offline Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
kikimama
kikimama is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastfan
How can someone who played as a point guard in high school not have *any* offensive skills?
Passing is an offensive skill.