1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordans ribs were broken FIGHTING...not playing bball...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gettinbranded, Jun 24, 2001.

1. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

The hottest rumor about Michael Jordan's rib injury in Chicago is that it occurred in a fight with Artest. Artest denies it, but being slammed to the ground is how you can break ribs, and that's the story going around.

It's being said that Jordan was in full trash-talk mode that day. He had been telling Antoine Walker of the Celtics to count on four losses to the Wizards next season, and he was hitting jump shots in the face of Artest and taunting Artest about his time with the Bulls and was getting personal. The story is that Artest stayed back in the lane, and then when Jordan came in the next time, Artest grabbed him and slammed him to the floor. That's supposedly when the ribs were broken.

Artest is also said to have thrown a punch at Jordan afterward. Word is the participants were sworn to secrecy or wouldn't be allowed back in the private gym near Jordan's West Side restaurant. Who knows if it's true, but it certainly sounds more realistic than the story Jordan has been telling.

Copyright 2001 The Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagosports.com/bulls/content/column/0,2007,154835,00.html

------------------

2. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

WOW! [​IMG]. Jordan must have been his old self if he was as unstoppable as the article said. Artest is a pretty good defender.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Hahhaha....old is right [​IMG] He better start taking some calcium supplements for his old brittle bones cuz that won't be the last hard hit he'll take.

------------------

4. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I don't think many SG's or PG's could come unscathed from a body slam to the ground by Artest-he's a pretty buff fella.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Go Big Ron!!

Next time break his face! [​IMG]

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think Ron Artest better prepare to get 50 dropped on him if Jordan is back to form. If he was getting embarrassed that badly if it's true. Wild.

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Wow. What's the story Jordan has been telling ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Jordan's "Ribbing" comes back to haunt him . I doubt it was Artest who would punch him , Artest is probably taking the fall for someone else like Antonie Walker , If They knew He did it it would cause a huge riot .

------------------

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

From ESPN - this is the offical story

Last week, Jordan was on a team that included Barkley, Bulls guard A.J. Guyton, Bulls center Jake Voskuhl and ex-DePaul Blue Demon Bobby Simmons, the Tribune reported. The opposition featured Bulls forwards Ron Artest and Marcus Fizer, Bulls guard Jamal Crawford and the Celtics' Antoine Walker, a Chicago native. Jordan, on offense, was posting Artest up low when the injury occured.

"I was called for the offensive foul," Jordan said of the banging in the paint. But he got the worst of it.

"I had shortness of breath, but I kept playing," Jordan told the Tribune. "We won." But X-rays soon after, he said, confirmed fractures.

Now he must take it easy and avoid contact for four or five weeks, something he was about to do anyway as the president of basketball operations for the Washington Wizards and with the NBA draft coming up. The Wizards own the No. 1 pick on Wednesday.

After all the fouls he copped from Detroit, one offensive foul banging on a post up and he fractures a rib........... [​IMG]

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

Smegs Mock Draft

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This is classic! I want Jordan to come back, just to hear wild stories like this. Has anybody ever broke their rib running a post play!?

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 25, 2001).]

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The reason Jordan got injured is because Phil Jackson is no longer his coach.

12. Horry

Horry Member

I don´t believe anything Sam Smith says. He´s always making up wild stories.

------------------

13. Rickem

Rickem Member

I hope there is no truth to this. I can't believe some young punk like Artest would assault MJ. Jordan could probably have him taken out.

------------------