1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Whatever you do, DON'T think about tanking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Aug 1, 2009.

?

To tank or not to tank, that's the question

1. Yes

28.2%
  2. No

71.8%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I see a lot of crap sayin lets tank, plan on tanking, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway here's my take on this, our team is depleted & has no superstar, for that a star player, therefore tanking would be the wrong way to go if we want to retool and restructure our team.

The best way to handle this would be to win as many games as possible and to try our best to stay in contention with the ever growing Sperms and **** getting to the trade deadline. That's when the firesale starts and players must go, go, GO.

By that time with a little luck on our sides the Raptors, Heat, Hornets, Hawks etc. will be plunging into darkness, but that's when Morey comes in and puts a sweet offer on the table of a healing McGrady and a couple young pieces to help get one of these teams on their feet and give us a star in return.

What I'm saying is that only 16 teams are going to make the playoffs and more than likely by that time the seatings will be sorted, since the East & West have more than 2 or 3 powerhouses and a few other pretty good teams.

If we tank all we'll get is a young player, yes with an extremely high ceiling, but we would have to wait about 3 years for them to develop into the players they're projected to be in the NBA.

What'd ya say kids, SAY NO TO TANKING! :D

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Tanking is bad, MMMkay.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Only tank if it is hopeless, and late in the season.

No use tanking the entire year, with the draft lottery there is no guarantee it will help.

DD

4. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Tank. Never. ;)

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Playing and developing our young guys is the best option.

If they develop fast, we might make the playoffs.

If they develop slowly, we'll still be semi competitive and a good chance at winning the lottery.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Speaking about getting tanked. I'm gonna go get a beer.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Tank... for sure...

WE NEED TO GET JOHN WALL.

It's better to think about tanking than to think we're actually going to make the playoffs with this current crew (that includes McGrady out/his uncertain status of how good he'll be once he's back)...

8. rocketsmetalspd

Need to see the how the final roster will look like. I still believe the team will not be tanking this season.

9. tingYAO

tingYAO Member

No tank tank. OH NO. Ching Ching...

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Then why not post it in the thread that calls for tanking?

IBTL

11. logicx

logicx Member

I'm tired of hearing about tanking...but at least you're on the right side of the argument. As DD said above, there's really no reason to take until you're in the latter part of the season and you realize that you just suck. Don't add any pieces, don't make a last minute pride run, just tank then. But to even consider it before the start of a new season? Rubbish.

12. RedRedemption

Please, let's just finish this upcoming season with dignity. No tank.

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Correct. Games are won on court and not by what is written in the line ups. Give the team a chance.

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Tanking talk in the first of August? Man, reserve that talk for after the All-Star break, I would rather not have to see a bad product on the floor for a whole year. Only tank if truly there is no other choice.

Not only that, we need to find out what our current roster is made off. Are they good? Are they mediocre? Should we keep or trade them? Only way to find that out is to let them play to the best of their ability. If they are good and worth keeping then we make playoffs, if they are bad and not worth keeping we get in the lotto. Either way, a win/win situation.

I'm opposed to tanking unless it seems like a good choice for like a couple games, sorta like how we should have let JVG lose that last game in order to get us Brandon Roy. Otherwise, no, we should always play to the fullest of their ability. Tanking is loser's talk.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

and don't cha start another thread on tanking and a poll

16. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

What do Battier, Scola, Hayes, Landry, Lowry, etc...have in common?

They play hard. Every play. Every game.

Tanking is out of the question because the core guys on the team don't have it in their makeup to give up and NOT play hard and hustle. I guess we could trade all those guys for a bunch of losers who don't care about winning or trying but guess what...they are still gonna be here next year, then what are you gonna do, try and get the core guys back?

/thread

17. RedRedemption

We can't tank with our current roster. We have way too much talent.

18. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

More then talent, The team has chemistry. Familiarity with one another is essential to the team's success.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Are you crazy?

Why would you want to tank when you don't even know if that's guaranteed?

I say push for the playoffs and if we don't make it we'll get a good pick. WE CAN NOT TANK dude.

20. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I just hope this isn't like 2006...missing out on Roy because we fought hard in our games while other teams tanked.