1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D!Ohbama: President not familiar with House Health Care bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jul 21, 2009.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sombody at JurnoList got some 'splainin' to do.

[rquoter]Morning Bell: Obama Admits He’s “Not Familiar” With House Bill

Posted July 21st, 2009 at 9.16am in Health Care.
    With the public’s trust in his handling of health care tanking (50%-44% of Americans disapprove), the White House has launched a new phase of its strategy designed to pass Obamacare: all Obama, all the time. As part of that effort, Obama hosted a conference call with leftist bloggers urging them to pressure Congress to pass his health plan as soon as possible.

During the call, a blogger from Maine said he kept running into an Investors Business Daily article that claimed Section 102 of the House health legislation would outlaw private insurance. He asked: “Is this true? Will people be able to keep their insurance and will insurers be able to write new policies even though H.R. 3200 is passed?” President Obama replied: “You know, I have to say that I am not familiar with the provision you are talking about.” (quote begins at 17:10)

This is a truly disturbing admission by the President, especially considering that later in the call, Obama promises yet again: “If you have health insurance, and you like it, and you have a doctor that you like, then you can keep it. Period.” How can Obama keep making this promise if he is not familiar with the health legislation that is being written in Congress? Details matter.

We are familiar with the passage IBD sites, and as we wrote last week, the House bill does not outright outlaw private individual health insurance, but it does effectively regulate it out of existence. The House bill does allow private insurance to be sold, but only “Exchange-participating health benefits plans.” In order to qualify as an ?Exchange-participating health benefits plan,? all health insurance plans must conform to a slew of new regulations, including community rating and guaranteed issue. These will all send the cost of private individual health insurance skyrocketing. Furthermore, all these new regulations would not apply just to individual insurance plans, but to all insurance plans. So the House bill will also drive up the cost of your existing employer coverage as well. Until, of course, it becomes so expensive that your company makes the perfectly economical decision to dump you into the government plan.

President Obama may not care to study how many people will lose their current health insurance if his plan becomes law, but like most Americans, we do. That is why we partnered with the Lewin Group to study how many Americans would be forced into the government “option” under the House health plan. Here is what we found:

Approximately 103 million people would be covered under the new public plan and, as a consequence, about 83.4 million people would lose their private insurance. This would represent a 48.4 percent reduction in the number of people with private coverage.​

About 88.1 million workers would see their current private, employer-sponsored health plan go away and would be shifted to the public plan.​

Yearly premiums for the typical American with private coverage could go up by as much as $460 per privately-insured person, as a result of increased cost-shifting stemming from a public plan modeled on Medicare.​

It is truly frightening that the President of the United States is pressuring Congress in an all-out media blitz to pass legislation that he flatly admits he has not read and is not familiar with. President Obama owes it to the American people to stop making promises about what his health plan will or will not do until he has read it, and can properly defend it in public, to his own supporters.[/rquoter]

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So...

The Bill hasn't been passed, and the President seems as if he will veto any bill that has such language.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

...yet another example of Obama confidently proclaiming things that he really doesn't know jack about. How can anyone believe a word this guy says? Everything is deception and misdirection with him. Don't you feel like you are being manipulated?

It's just one big game of hide the salami.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hide the salami?

really?

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Reading is Fundamental...

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

First and foremost that bill is over 1000 pages long (1018 to be precise) and to expect anyone to memorize every section is simply ridiculous. Not only that but furthermore this section 102 paranoia has been everywhere and NONE of those articles have posted the section in context. They took a sub-paragraph and made some silly interpretation to fit the hysteria surrounding conservative conceptions of health care.

Also, if you're going to post something like that, TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE DAMN SECTION.

At least pretend to try to have an informative discussion. I'll settle for the intellectual depth of a kiddie pool.

So anyway, the section states - "Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law. It's a section on grandfathering existing coverage, not a ban on private insurance like you pretend.

Now that might sound like a ban except no one quotes Section C stating "Individual health insurance coverage that is not grandfathered health insurance coverage under subsection (a) may only be offered on or after the first day of Y1 as an Exchange-participating health benefits plan."

The exchange participating part deals with the slew of new regulations on private insurance within the bill. Now you can debate whether those regulations are good, or you can instead mindlessly post more articles without saying anything.

9 people like this.
  7. mc mark

nice

+ reps for geeimsobored

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

can't believe you haven't created a thread about his jeans yet

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

basso got "geeimsoBURNED"

Plus, how many more times are you going to overuse (and impossibly misspell) Doh!bamma? It's like a 4 year old who does something funny once and then keeps doing it expecting everybody to laugh and all the adults try to humor him by chuckling but then roll their eyes at eachother like "I know he's my kid, but sheesh". You know what I'm talking about.

+rep for geeimsobored btw

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There was a doctor on a news station here in Houston quoting this, this morning. she said she read the bill twice, she said something like (sorry for not remembering exactly), if your plan changed and you had purchased your own plan when it changed and you're up for a new plan you have to take the gov't option.

A guy at work was saying it yesterday and I almost started a thread on it, but he's a winger so I was going to ridicule him in the thread (even though I like personally). But then I thought I better wait till I get facts on what he was referring to

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

misleading title. should be

President not familiar with section 102 paragragph X of House Health Care bill

or

President has not memorized all 1000 plus pages of House Health Care bill

12. geeimsobored

Well there are specific rules on existing plans, should the bill pass. For example, your insurer wouldn't be able to raise your premium and exemptions from any new regulations on private insurance would only last 5 years before your pre-existing policy would have to conform to existing rules. Basically after 5 years all policies will have to conform to the regulations within the bill.

Like I said, everyone has conveniently ignored subsection c of section 102. It's pretty explicit and if you read starting at Section 111, it starts to talk about the new regulations on private care, (starting with denial based on pre-existing conditions, price discrimination rules, etc..

And if you read Title II (it's pretty long) it defines an exchange-participating program and all of the conditions that come with that.

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

mcmark, unless you have been living in a Volkswagon Microbus that doubles as a mobile hemp farm, you would be aware of Obama's recent media blitzkrieg to advance this fatally flawed DeathCare proposal. He has been talking out of his ace the entire time, as the man truly knows nothing about healthcare. Your post above only buttresses my very salient point.

14. basso

Supporting Member

or mindlessly intone that "the time for debate is over" when you haven't read the damn bill. my point is not whether the provision in question is good or bad, but that the president is self-evidently unfamiliar with it, and has still decided that it shouldn't be discussed. that's far more troubling.

-1 for missing the point of the thread.

#14 basso, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  15. basso

Supporting Member

16. geeimsobored

You're right I hijacked your thread to respond to a bull**** WSJ article that was cited so to reiterate what I said before.

The bill is 1000 pages long and the president cant be expected to remember specific sections so when a random person says "hey I heard section 102 bans private insurance," the president doesnt remember the specific section so he cant say "well if you read two subsections down you'll see that the bill states that private insurance is legal provided it follows new regulations."

Instead he says, look I cant recall what that section says but my bill keeps private insurance legal. He said what he knew, and he didnt remember a specific section. And more importantly he's right.

Not to mention the broader point of me posting what I said was that the people who are criticizing Obama for not remembering a sub-sub section of a bill havent even bothered to read the cover of the bill, let alone any of the actual text.

Seems pretty simple to me.

17. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Maybe you can post your point in text form when you create a thread in the future as an effort to avoid these kinds of misunderstandings?

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That's because there is no such provision. In other words, Obama is saying in a wry way that mocks the false outrage of the right and their ridiculous attempts to spin lies, that it is false.

19. mc mark

No-one here gave you permission to speak to me. If I want your opinion, I will give it to you.

20. tingYAO

tingYAO Member

OHHHHH!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: