1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Would you consider tanking?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I do not mean deliberately trying to lose but rather start rebuilding now. Do not resign Artest. Don't trade Tmac for some players that make us better. Trade Battier and whoever to some young potential or future draft prospect or even just expirings. And let Yao rest regardless. So that the team we put on the court will have a hard time winning 20 games.

So we get a good looto pick and with Cook and Tmac off the books and Yao possibly signing for less we should be in the free agent game for at least a Bosh type player and we will acquire a very good lottery pick. Plus Yao may be back and the future will look brighter.

Yeah I know it sucks and I am not getting younger and I hoped that we would have a legit shot at a title this year but that is all but gone. So why try to build for today when today looks best like a 1 and done type prospect. Anyway what do you think?

2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Pretty sure this same thing was posted in about 3-5 other threads. But I'll bite. Same thing as I have been saying the past couple days, lets wait and see what happens this next week with Yao before we start freaking out. Rather than listening to speculation, lets hear what Yao says after he sees a couple more doctors.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

...inknown commodity...

4. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

I am patient enough to start rebuilding. I mean we past the first round and it doesn't look like we have enough to win it all next season. I mean this isn't college sports, so if you aren't going to win the title then what does it really matter? I say tank and get our hands on some draft picks for the future. lets take the patient road

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Don't trade Brooks, Lowry, Landry, or even Hayes.

Try to sign Wafer.

Don't resign Artest.

Listen to offers (but don't force a trade) with Battier and Scola.

Let Tracy's and Cook's expire unless someone is offering draft picks and young high-potential players.

Start playing Dorsey, Chase, and Taylor a lot.

It'll be a one year tank. But I don't know if I could do this. How the hell do you know if Yao is ever going to be healthy? :eek:

6. redao

redao Member

tanking all the way because we have Morey who can find talents and we have Adelman who is willing to develop rookies.

7. onreego

onreego Member

Keep our heads above water in the first half of the season, take a stab at acquiring bosh with Mcgrady's contract at the deadline and try to make a second half run. (Thats assuming Morey cant get it done now)

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

yeah let's just tank. The West is pretty tough now with SA getting Jefferson. Best case scenario is we lose in the 1st round to a higher seed. No more of that. We need to build our team.

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

10. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

I agree with everything u said except I dont want to resign wafer. he is not worth more than 3.5 million in which he turned down.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Cleaning house isn't the same as tanking.

Tanking as a bad word in my household.

Whoever's on the roster, I want them playing their guts out. Endless tank jobs turn your team into the Clippers.

Cleaning house is what we should do. I respect vets like Battier too much to force them through a rebuilding process; unless they ask to stay.

Listen to offers for literally anyone on the roster.

Stockpile draft picks.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I always get upset to see the Rockets lose, whether it's for the "greater good" or not.

13. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I wonder how many panic threads were made in the last 1 1/2 days. This is just unbelievable. Guys are on panic mode and the season is 3 months away. SMH free agency starts tonight. We don't know how the roster is going to look like come next season.

Just think about this. Ask Morey and the other guys including the players if they would consider tanking and that should be your answer. :p

14. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

You want to sign Wafer out of all people but let Artest walk??? :confused: :confused: :confused: I swear this guy is soooooo OVERRATED on this board its funny. What has Von Wafer done in his career exactly??

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

It would be tough sitting through 82 games of tanking so HELL NO

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Play to win every game you can. Losing infects everything and you have to maintain a winning attitude around the club. Young guys may get more playing time but that isn't tanking that is developing talent.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You Play The Games to Win!

I will not and the CITY will not except a team that gives up and doesn't play hard at least.

What kind of organization would send their players such a lesson. WE ARE NOT THE CLIPPERS!

18. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Tank, Clear and Pull an Orlando 2001?

Instead of a sub-par season why not just tank trade away/let expire all assets except cheap, great role players and then try to sign two top free agents.

Let Yao/McGrady walk and don't resign Artest. Keep guys like Brooks, Scola, Landry etc that are cheap, experienced and useful.

Then try to bring in both a Bosh/Wade etc or leverage our expiring contracts young talent to bring in two top players and trade a good draft spot next year for immediate talent.

I'd rather Boston/Orlando(though Hill's injury made this a failure) type rebuilding then Chicago's.

19. Pringles

Pringles Member

Artest > Wafer

You let Artest walk because he ain't going to improve. Wafer still got potential.

How productive is Artest going to be two years later?

20. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Their both knuckleheads but at least one of them plays DEFENSE. Wafer still has potential??? the man has been in the league 4-5 years. If it takes him that long to reach his potential then good luck. He's been cut how many times from other teams???