1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Jerusalem Post] Lior Eliyahu leaves Maccabi for Tau Vitoria

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rikesh316, Jun 24, 2009.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1245184913642&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

By ALLON SINAI

Lior Eliyahu will be presented as a Tau Vitoria player next week after signing a four-year contract with the Spanish club.

The 23-year-old will leave Maccabi Tel Aviv after three seasons in which he developed into one of European basketball's best young players.

The forward was one of Tel Aviv's leading players last season, averaging 14 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists in the Euroleague.

"I congratulate Lior on his move to Tau Vitoria," Maccabi chairman Shimon Mizrahi said on Tuesday, despite the fact that Eliyahu has still to go through a medical before the Spanish Euroleague club will officially announce his signing.

"I know from the Tau president that Lior has signed and I also know that they have released several key players. I wish Lior all the best."

Tau is coached by strict Serbian Dusko Ivanovic and despite failing to defend its Spanish league title ended the past season with silverware after claiming the Spanish cup.

In the Euroleague the team was knocked out in the quarterfinal playoffs, losing 3-2 to Barcelona after leading the series 2-1.

Eliyahu began his professional career at Hapoel Galil Elyon, playing three seasons at the club.

In his final season up north Eliyahu was extremely impressive, averaging 15.9 points and 5.9 rebounds in league play, and it wasn't long before he was snatched up by Tel Aviv.

The Israel international settled quickly at the Nokia Arena, but has now decided to move on, tempted by Tau's lucrative offer estimated to be ian average of $1 million a year.

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

so not in Summer camp this year I take it

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

How old is he?

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

NVM, skipped over the 23 old.

So he will be 27 after the 4 year contract. If he isn't ready for the NBA then, he'll never be ready.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

How many threads are going to be wasted on this guy? If he was any good, he would have been here already.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

-Signed Luis Scola

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you aint seen nothing yet

-signed Malick Badiane

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

1) Spurs had always wanted to bring in Scola but held of because of financial reasons. His buyout was too large. Spurs let him go to Rockets for financial reasons. The latest Mirscad Turckan has not been brought over because Rockets don't think he can contribute, not because they cant afford him. I am sure the Rockets can pony up the paltry $1 million a year that this guy will be getting for next 4 years.

2) If you want to play the "signed" game, your list will be laughable compared to the list I can come up with. Looks like Yoyo has already nominated one name for my list.

#8 Zboy, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It was a joke. A little sensitive? ;)

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Very. I was expecting Demon's Soul for PS3 to arrive in today's mail but no go.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Actually he would have to buy out his contract first. Which would mean he'd have to outlay $4million to his new club. The Rockets are only allowed to contribute 500k of that.

(yes, we COULD have brought him in before he signed)

I think Eliyahu actually has some decent skills - his Euroleague numbers are pretty good compared to other guys who ended up playing NBA. Hopefully he finds some improvement with his new club and makes it worthwhile bringing him over in a year or 2.

12. dragonz

dragonz Member

Hmm, by watching this guy's game makes my stomach uncomfortable. His game is like the vegetarian burger. Its burger.... but its vegetarian...

check it out yourself
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FrNibG6gp8A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FrNibG6gp8A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Turkcan actually did make it to the NBA, just never with us, and never with much success.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turkcmi01.html

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

^^^ I was not going to bother but.....

"BEST BASKETBALL VIDEO"

...lured me in.

A tall skinny kid who can make open dunks and has no jump shot. NBA has been waiting for someone like him.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he had a cup of coffee with the Knicks. Actually, he ended up having quite a good career playing overseas. Several NBA teams tried to sign him over the last few seasons, but Turkcan was making much more playing overseas than he was being offered by the NBA, so he stayed over there. I think he could have had a decent career in the NBA as a 7th or 8th man.

Still, I'd rather have Rashard Lewis. :(

16. worzel gummidge

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/07/s...ll-why-stars-require-kid-glove-treatment.html

1 person likes this.
  17. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Love it. Absolutely love it.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He should be Scolaized by the time his contract is up. We bring him over, hopefully during our 5th straight championship run. :cool:

19. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

well at least we were able to get just compensation for lior in the forum of a town vicotoria.