1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Top 5 Teams For Rockets To Plunder in Trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1535/top_5_teams_for_rockets_to_plunder_in_trades/

Curious your thoughts... other than really my #1 I had a hard time placing them in a top 5. Considered also Detroit (ranked them 6), Chicago (7), Toronto (8), Charlotte (9), Utah (10), Indiana, Milwaukee, Sacramento and Philadelphia. I think Washington may not be sellers. Took Orlando and Denver off the list because of their playoff runs (though they were bleeding $$).

6 people like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, great column, Clutch! I'm trying to digest it before giving my take. I'm surprised Les was so outspoken.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

If we can get Stoudemire somehow... wow... that would be deadly.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Morey has said the Rockets will look to "buy their way" back into the draft.

If we moved into the lottery, who is even worthy of being picked after Griffin and Thabeet?

We'd be stuck with some project guard like DeMar DeRozan, Tyreke Evans, or a big like Jordan Hill.

1 person likes this.
  5. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

nice job and an excellent read

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

nice article clutch. i agreed with most of your reasoning but i would have the warriors as #1. the warriors have a bunch of realistically attainable players (unlike the suns stoudamire or nash) that fit needs for the rockets.

while the suns and hornets would really like to cut payroll, a trade with the hornets is less likely than with other teams because we are in the same division. i think the hornets will look to trade in the division as a last resort.

i would wager:

1. warriors
    2. suns
    3. nets (talks revisited from the deadline)
    4. pistons (talks revisited from last summer)
    5. hornets

#6 smoothie, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

clutch: i'm curious as to why you had the hornets at #2, unless that was based on something you're hearing. i don't see us actually targeting chandler as perimeter scoring is our biggest need. when i saw them at #2, i assumed you were referring to paul, so was a bit surprised by the blurb.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This has got me having wet dreams of landing a big name player now.

Will Morey pull a god-like move again?

3 weeks after the season ends here I am right back into the next season.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

based on these past two years, i'm almost expecting him to reel in an all-star in exchange for mcgrady alone (sans brooks/landry etc.)...

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amare Stoudemire and Barbosa would be awesome for Tracy, Landry and Brooks, but can Barbosa seriously play minutes at the point? I think Lowry could do a soild job, but he'd have no backup. Guess that would be addressed in another deal. That's the scenario I'd want the most, Clutch.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I know.

I'm almost waiting to hear that we've acquired the #2 pick in the draft for James White, Brian Cook and a 3rd round pick.

Come on Morey, you know Memphis is stupid.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Agreed.. 100%. Though the rumors about Amare liking NY and wanting to play for D'Antoni again aren't really helping our chances.

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This trade will happen in February after Bibby signs with the Rockets for the MLE (complete guess, no source)

14. bbjai

bbjai Member

I'm only willing to trade Mcgrady if we can get back a 2 guard in return. I'm not asking for a superstar someone like Courtney Lee or Michael Pietrius would be perfect to go with a decent big man. Mcgrady's contract could be had for that.

We don't have a actual 2 guard that can slash. Von Wafer isn't going to cut it to be honest. His perfect off the bench like Vujacic style but like we need a proper starter. Artest/Battier are not two guards no matter how you look at it. They can play there, but for 82 games I'm not as confident

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clutch, I am curious why you feel Chandler would be a better 4/5 than Kaman? I find Kaman much more attractive as a player given Chandler's offensive liabilities. You wrote he was too stiff, but I think that Chandler is just as stiff if not more.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Deckard, smoothie -- thank you guys for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Interesting you have the Warriors so high ... I think they make a good trade partner but I was worried I had them too high at #4. One of Ellis or Crawford would interest me, but only at the right price in which the Rockets could get back another talent. Actually I like Ellis (he's slightly younger than Aaron Brooks, believe it or not), but really curious if his trade value is considered positive or negative -- any contract until 2014 scares the daylights out of me right now.

I struggled with that one -- I originally wrote that "the fact that Paul's name has been even uttered puts them at #2, but if there proves to be anything to it they rocket to #1" but took it out. Still though, I'm getting more of a feeling that the perimeter scoring and athletic 7-footer are neck-and-neck as the team's top needs. Morey has really talked about that need like it's a lock they're going to add someone there. With Deke gone and Yao now needing to see less minutes, I really think they want that one big guy who gives them a contrast from Scola and Landry at the four and can play five with Yao out. Personally, I like Chandler as that type of player. His defense on Tim Duncan in the playoffs a year ago was impressive.

1 person likes this.
  17. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Nice article and Nice read Clutch. Good job! :D

I really would love to get Steve Nash or Amare Stoudemire to come on this team and I wouldn't mind Barbosa or Shaq. Too bad we can't get all of them, but Steve Nash is the guy I would love to have to replace Aaron Brooks.

I also like the deal for Amare Stoudemire, that would be sick as hell. T-Mac, Landry and Brooks for Amare and Barbosa? Sick as FUUUUDGE.

18. Pocket Rockets

if morey could somehow grab mike redd for mcgradys contract, he would automatically get executive of the year

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Putting aside which would benefit the team more on the court, look at their contracts. Kaman has another year on his, compared to Camby. I think he's a better fit, as well.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Does the statement that Les Alexander made consider Ron Artest's contract situation?

Someone needs to sweep someone in the Finals so we can get the offseason started already