1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cash Cow? Looking for details...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets2K, May 18, 2009.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I saw a rookie post a question in another thread, and I feel it is a valid question about a subject that is often touched upon, but rarely discussed.
    So I am posting that rookie's post verbatim and ask that you please try to provide some substance when answering him.

kthx

2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Thank you, I was wondering the same thing...

3. caneks

caneks Rookie

Good question. I doubt there is an answer for it.

4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

The only quantative thing I can come up with is all the shoe deals, but then that would seem to pretty much go to the player, and not the organization. Something else to ponder is that while the Rockets/Yao aren't the number 1 seller over there, they are towards the top. And would that be the case if Yao was not on the team. Basically would they be just one of the teams other than LA, Cleveland, Boston, NY, Chicago, etc....

Just throwing it out there.

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

quotes within quotes for an opening post? Bravo.

If Yao Ming isn't respected for what he does on the court, then he isn't respected. I don't care what he brings to Les off the court. I'm not Les.

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I don't think he brings in ALOT of mula.. just as much as your average superstar.. although I do think he's in the top 5 in terms of marketable players.

If you wanted to start a franchise that would be fiscally beneficial, here are the players I would want in order from 1-5:

1) Lebron James
    2) Kobe Bryant
    3) Dwayne Wade
    4) Yao Ming
    5) ?

Basically, I think the idea is flawed that Yao draws in a lot of money.. NONETHELESS, he is a money making machine for Les. I just wouldn't put him as the top dog..

7. BucMan55

He quoted the poster who is unable to create his own thread. But you still seemed to have missed the point of it.

8. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Yes because we all know that Yao staying on the team has nothing to do with the fact that he is a 7'-6" scoring machine and 7 time-all star. Who has a great personality,works hard,and is a great teammate. It has nothing to do with that when he walks on the court the whole gameplan changes for the other team. Thats right Les only has Yao Ming on the team because he keeps the rotating billboard under the scorers tabel filled with shoe companies that we never heard of.

9. michecon

What's the point again? We seem to have this exact sort of thread every off season. There were Forb's franchise values, there were billboards in Toyota Center.etc etc....

10. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

What a snitch.. and you didn't even bother to answer the question.

11. BucMan55

This has nothing to do with basketball on the court. This is the cash cow aspect to Yao that has been given as pretty much the primary reason he won't be traded. The thread is asking for you(general you) to explain this cash cow. I offered up some thoughts, as did others. Again, this has nothing to do directly with Yao's basketball skills.

12. BucMan55

I answered the question in my first post in this thread. Is it the correct answer? I dunno. The quoted post did not ask a question. To be a snitch, I would need to hit the report button. Which I think in my 4+ years here I have never done.

13. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I'll take a stab at this.

As an investment manager, I regularly keep tabs on the market value of businesses. It's no different with sports franchises with the exception that each represents a pseudo-monopoly per locality. For any of you have been involved in quick service food, an NBA franchise is really is a "franchise" in every sense of the word. So what's at stake? Money. Lots of it. And here's Forbes take on what the Rox are worth today.

Follow the link.
    http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/32/nba08_Houston-Rockets_322525.html

Houston Rockets 2008 Value - $469M

Houston Rockets 2002 Value?

Would you believe $278M if my memory is not mistaken.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, that was just at or before Yao came to town.

Total change? Somewhere in the vicinity of $191M

Can you say Yao Moohlah???

theSAGE

14. michecon

again, I think this has been cover ad nausea every off season. I just wish the search function could be back.

15. BucMan55

Adjust for inflation. Also, T-Mac sells a lot of jerseys and merchandise. I see just as many T-Mac shirts as Yao shirts at Academy, Wal-Mart, and other stores in the greater Houston area.

I am not denying that Yao has had a real impact on that difference, but I will guarantee that he is not the entire difference.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

advertising sales for les alexander

deals with yilian beer and other areas. i believe les also has a joint venture going with a chinese company

yao's value is in the form of the relations with an expanding global power that currently has strained ties to the us

he provides an in, where others don't have it. the secondary benefit would be to the players with opportunities as shoe contracts, but that has proven to be minimal

17. BucMan55

See, thats why R2K brought this up. As he said its often mentioned, but its dismissed quickly like its a given. I honestly don't recall threads talking about this aspect of Yao. It is often a bullet in an argument to keep Yao here, but its not usually expanded upon. R2K and the original poster thought it might be a good idea to expand upon that single aspect.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

It seems like the answer to the OP's question is further down in your link.

The Rockets financial health continues to be strong thanks to the lucrative Toyota Center. The team's $40 million in premium seat revenue is second most in the NBA behind only the Knicks.

It looks like Toyota Center is the "cash cow," not Yao.

19. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

It's not just you.. I'm just sick the of people who go around threads looking for reasons certain "posts" are stupid or "need to be locked", etc.. I think it's childish and that all the policing is annoying.

No offense to you. I just responded to you coincidentally..

20. michecon

Sorry if you don't recall, it was discussed in DETAIL.