1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the Bobby Jackson and Donte Greene Trade now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 17, 2009.

?

Would you do this trade again?

1. Yes - Ron Artest was worth it

99.0%
  2. No - Greene and Jackson were not worth it

1.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it appears by the vocal clutchfans here that they wanted to redo this trade again.

After knowing what you know that happened this season, how do you rate this trade?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3510261

Updated: July 31, 2008, 11:39 AM ET
    Rockets agree to send pick, Greene, Jackson to Kings for Artest
    Comment Email Print Share
    By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    Ron Artest is not going home to play for his beloved New York Knicks. Artest didn't get the fairy-tale trade to join his Southern California buddy Kobe Bryant, either.

He's also not complaining.

Artest was unmistakably giddy in the early hours of Wednesday morning in a phone conversation with ESPN.com as he discussed his forthcoming trade to the Houston Rockets.

"I'll be a kid in a candy store," Artest said. "I'll be a kid in a store with a lot of candy. I'm going to dance with the stars."

Instead of the trade to Hollywood to Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers, as many around the league expected, Artest is headed to Houston for a reunion with Rick Adelman, who ranks as his favorite pro coach.

In a swap first reported Tuesday night by The Houston Chronicle, Sacramento has agreed to part with its rugged but controversial swingman in exchange for newly drafted Rockets rookie Donte Greene, Kings alumnus Bobby Jackson (and his salary cap-friendly contract) and a first-round pick in 2009. NBA front-office sources confirmed to ESPN.com that the Kings also will receive approximately $1 million in cash considerations. But the deal can't be completed and announced before Aug. 14 because Greene is not eligible to be traded until then, per league rules, since he signed with the Rockets on July 14.

"For this trade to happen it means the Rockets have to start winning right now," Yao Ming told Houston television station KRIV from Nanjing, China.

2. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

its still a great trade.

3. dexkk

dexkk Member

Did we get past the first round or not? :p

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ron has his limitations but there was never any doubt that the trade was the right thing to do.

5. Egghead

Egghead Member

B+

got us out of the 1st round and brought extra toughness to the team

offensively, i expected more

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

even now it looks so one sided. Rockets snatched him for nothing.

7. MD_in_Training

What the deuce? Unless Donte Greene somehow became Lebron James, I don't see why this is a thread at all.

8. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

A+

I'd re-sign him if for the same price range (8-9mil per year) for 3 years.

Just because I think Ron-Ron could improve on some part of his game doesn't make me a "Ron Hater". Shoot touch comes and goes, but shot selection and consistent effort on defense is something he could work on.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

No contest. Great trade for Houston. Unless Donte Greene becomes an All-Star, or at the least, a semi-star, the Rockets CLEARLY came away on the better end.

10. lastmanstanding

He got us out of the 1st round, and we were able to take the Lakeshow to 7 games so it was worth it. He has clearly diminished from his dpoy days, and his offense is awful at times though.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Alot of people did not appreciate Ron Artest and they totally forgot how we got him.

I'm assuming if you hated Ron Artest this season, you didn't want him in the first place.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It sucks the lakers were able to get gasol for what we gave up for artest, but we gave up nothing.

13. KareemOlajuwon

Geez. I can't believe we gave up Donte Greene and the great Bobby Jackson.

Just imagine what could haev been...

*sigh*

14. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Damn 76 yes' to 0 no's. and yea, getting to game 7 of the second round made it worth it.

15. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I know man we would have at least 10 rings :rolleyes:

16. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Hey, OP:

Try this thread again after about 4-5 years, when Greene's name is actually known.

Please and Thank you!

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It was about on par with the Tracy Mcgrady trade... :p

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well McGrady was a beast when he first came to Houston but after that trade we did about the same in the playoffs.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

what an excellent point!

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

I don't know, I think BJax still has another good week or two left in those old legs.