1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNNSI] Guarding Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, May 15, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Please lock it up if already posted. I thought this was an enjoyable read on the task of guarding Kobe, and what Battier has done in the series. It includes a comparison to the battles between Michael Jordan and Craig Ehlo 20 years ago. It's a 2-pager.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_ballard/05/14/kobe/index.html

[rquoter]
    Imagine coming face-to-face with a tornado -- and we're talking a fast-moving, maximum intensity, mean-ass twister that's sucking up livestock -- and then being asked to "stop" it. You'd run for cover, right? Well, the brave souls assigned to guard Kobe Bryant don't have that option, even though, just as there is no stopping a twister, there's no "stopping" a player like Bryant, especially over the course of a seven-game playoff series. You don't know in which direction he might spin, when he's going to pick up speed or stop altogether, or how much metaphoric destruction he will wreak. No matter how effectively the defender does his job, he's going to get scored upon, and often in ways that are quite embarrassing: on slippery drives, crazy step-back jumpers, maybe a vicious dunk or two.

Look at the impressive effort being put forth by Shane Battier in the matchup at the heart of the contentious second-round series between the Houston Rockets and the Los Angeles Lakers. Over the first four games, Battier has been tasked with shadowing Bryant on nearly every dribble, twice forcing him into subpar games, including the Rockets' stunning Game 4 victory (accomplished without All-Star center Yao Ming, who is done for the year with a hairline fracture in his left foot) that tied the series at week's end.

For Battier, the Rockets forward who has twice been named to the NBA All-Defensive team, this was not a fluke. Cerebral and obsessive in his approach to defense, he is among that rare breed of NBA player who makes his living trying to contain such elite scorers. These are the guys who play 40 minutes and finish with maybe four points, three rebounds and two assists, yet they're invaluable, especially come the postseason. To watch Battier in action against Kobe is to see defense treated like a science, if not a religion.

[/rquoter]

2. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

This might just have to be my first sig. Thanks.

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I still think it's hilarious that Shane didn't make the NBA All Defensive 1st Team this year. How can they justify that LeBron James and Kobe Bryant defend better than Shane Battier does? It's ridiculous.

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I think after this series, Shane and Chuck are going to get a lot more recognition around the league, and hopefully Shane can earn his first 1st team all defense if he keeps it up next season.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think there's ever been a great perimeter defensive player who plays the game as clean as Shane.

It is really refreshing to see someone who can slow down the leagues best and be so classy about it.

6. durvasa

It wasn't mentioned in this particular article, but one of the things Adelman credited for our defense on Kobe was Chuck's ability to show on the pick and rolls and then get back to his man. Battier+Chuck is a fantastic defensive tandem.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That was a great article durvasa! Thanks for sharing!

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

good article, I saw something with the same title about an hour ago at bw3's, probably on espn.

9. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i've said this before, but battier is the hero of this series. it doesn't matter how much scola and brooks scores or how good hayes is on d. it's about containing kobe because he'll keep the lakers in the game. without kobe, this series would've been over in 6 or less. and RA needs to realize that. for some reason, artest who normal is a better defender than battier is totally ineffective against him.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You're right.

I've always maintained that the awards given out for the next season are actually awarded (at least in the voters minds) in the previous year's playoffs. Whenever a guy has a breakout playoffs he is usually being named as the favorite to win such and such award at the beginning of the following season.

If Shane is healthy I think he is a lock for defensive first team. Chuck probably doesn't get enough minutes to have a chance but you can be guaranteed that next season during Rockets broadcasts the national media will talk about how to win the big games you have to have a Chuck Hayes on your team.

11. choujie

choujie Member

Battier was one step slower before All star break, and everybody was bashing him.

It's amazing how much defense one step quicker means, that's why Yao will always have trouble defending pick'n rolls.

Artest seems to lost half step compare to his previous years, even though he still has strength.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He is a bit slower but what is bugging me about him guarding Kobe is that he leans on Kobe's right side and invites Kobe to drive left. I would rather see him try to stay between Kobe and the rim like Battier does instead of just giving up on that strategy and forcing him to his "weak" hand.

13. guangzu

guangzu Member

did he just said religion is better than science? shock!

14. heyangw

heyangw Member

The first defensive team is just a JOKE. It is a all star team with good defensive stats.
    Hayes also deserves a position in the all defensive team. His defense is art!

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

D&D Material.

Neither is better; that's a false argument and not remotely relevant.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Thanks for the article Durvasa!

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

joe dumars was every bit as classy, and every bit the tenacious, cerebral defensive assassin that shane is. his lateral movement, understanding of angles, and knowledge of what his opponent's preferred angles were was unparalleled. michael jordan's two toughest defenders? joe D and houston's own vernon maxwell. vern was a mini-ron. joe D was vernon with a brain.

on a team full of pitbull knifefighters (mahorn, rodman, laimbeer, buddha edwards, salley, aguirre, zeke), joe D was the brains of the op. joe D manned up one-on-one with the jordans, 'niques, b kings,etc and carried his own offensively, as well. joe was the key to quite possibly the greatest defensive squad ever assembled. all to the tune of a hall of fame career.

for those that didn't know, shane grew up in detroit. detroit mercy day hs, iirc. chances are he idolized those bad boys teams and probably shaped his defensive prowess around joe D. does it surprise anyone that shane has openly said he'd like to end his career playing in his hometown, for his boyhood favorite team which, not so coincidentally, is run by, yep, joe D?

#18 verse, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  19. guangzu

guangzu Member

i knew and was just kidding, at least not shocked :) the writer just tried to balance the words, or being lazy by using cliche.

20. durvasa

I've heard that a lot, but I'm not so sure. It might have been the combination of Dennis Rodman and John Salley. Detroit's emergence as an elite defensive team in the late 80s and into the early 90s pretty much coincided with them. Salley leaves before the 92/93 season, and they become a middling defensive team. Rodman leaves in the subsequent season, and Detroit becomes one of worst defensive teams in the league in 93/94 and 94/95. I don't remember if Dumars was really hampered those years by injuries.