1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Want Shane or Ron to Guard Brandon Roy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Apr 20, 2009.

Tags:
?

Do You Want Shane or Ron to Gaurd BRoy

1. Shane Battier

59.8%
  2. Ron Artest

40.2%
  1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I am just throwing this out there. Can't remember if someone started another thread like this before the series.

I wonder how Adelman, Ron, and Shane discussed this before the series in determining that Ron got the nod. I remember Roy blowing by Ron alot, but ultimately it didn't really hurt us. I suspect Ron will get him initially each game unless Roy goes completely crazy and gets his teammates going in the process. Seems like Ron initially gets the 2 guard assignment.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They switched to shane pretty quickly. After that they seemed to switch, not that it mattered.

I think they will just try both during the game and see what works.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah I agree with Casey. I think I want both to guard him. Artest did a great job on him and so did Battier. I think they can both stop him, that's the luxury we have, we should use both and give him different looks.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both, 5 minute shifts...

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Who started Game 1 on Roy when Roy was getting layup after layup in the 1st quarter?

6. blk5g

blk5g Member

roy will get past anybody right now its his playoff debut and he istrying to carry his team and wont let anybody stop him, he played like it on saturday untill their was no hope so im sure it was more of a discussion between ron and bat, and ron accepted the challange.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

From my recollection, it was Ron.

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

They need to give him different looks. Artest had a hard time in the first Qtr but they were running picks for ROy in just about every single play.

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Quit rotating and confuse him... After you have someone on you for so long, you learn another way to do something. So, different looks will be more effective.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So let me throw this out...Blazers have the ball for the final possession down a score with Roy having the ball, who do you want on BRoy, Ron or Shane?

I should have made that the thread title.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ron. Shane relies on outsmarting his man, but in Brandon Roy he's facing an opponent who's as smart offensively as he is defensively. Roy has given Battier fits in the past, and I think Ron has done a great job on him.

Switch to Battier if Ron is in foul trouble. Otherwise, I want Artest on him.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Let Chuck Hayes guard Oden and see them try and run the pick and roll. :D

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Would your answer change for the final possession game on the line scenario?

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Roy is a half a step faster than Artest, so I want Batman.

15. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Ima go with Shane. He's quicker than Ron laterally and at this point in the game the abuse Roy has taken from Ron should slow him a little. I also love the fact that Shane seems to ALWAYS get a hand in the face of anybody he guards.

16. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Gotta be Ron.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No. Artest is more likely to commit a bad foul, but I'd still stay with him.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Is Ron really a half step slower then Shane or is it his constant gambling that gets him out of position thereby getting him prone to getting burned?

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I like how Adelman was constantly switching the defense responsibility between Battier and Artest. That should continue all series long.

However, if it was the last possession of the game, I would want Battier guarding Roy. Battier is much better at getting around/through screens. The Blazers would inevitably run some sort of high screen and roll for Roy in the final minute, so Battier's the guy. Also, Ron is too easily sucked into going for the steal. Battier is better at staying in front of his man.

1 person likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think his gambling is the bigger problem.