1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last 4 Rockets Playoff Teams - The Most Talent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Which squad, on paper, has the most talent and best shot at advancing?

1. This Year = 2008-2009

116 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. Last Year = 2007-2008

8 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. 2 Yrs Ago = 2006-2007

17 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. 4 Yrs Ago = 2004-2005

27 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not big on starting threads, or starting threads as a spin-off on one of my posts in another thread. But, I thought admist all the combined negative and positive threads, why not just look at and compare the lineups.

Which do you think is best?

For reasons I explained in my post, I think, even with the injuries and up and down year, this year's team actually has the most talent, on paper, going into the playoffs, as any we've had since Yao was drafted. It's got balance, solid halfcourt, defensive focused players who all hustle non-stop all the time. And a solid enough bench. Championship worthy? Maybe not, but at least as good a chance of advancing (if not better) than any of the prior years.

This Year Projected (08-09):
    PG: Brooks, Lowry
    SG: Artest, Barry
    SF: Battier, Wafer
    PF: Scola, Landry, Hayes
    C: Yao, Deke

Last Year (07-08):
    PG: Rafer (missed 2 games, though), Bobby Jackson, Brooks
    SG: T-Mac, Head
    SF: Battier, Mike Harris, Steve Novak?
    PF: Scola, Landry, Hayes
    C: Deke, Loren Woods?

2 Years Ago (06-07):
    PG: Rafer, V-Span, John Lucas
    SG: T-Mac, Head
    SF: Battier, Snyder
    PF: Juwan, Hayes
    C: Yao, Deke, Tsakalidis

4 Years Ago (04-05):
    PG: Mike James, Bob Sura
    SG: David Wesley, Jon Barry
    SF: T-Mac
    PF: Ryan Bowen, Padgett
    C: Yao, Deke

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This year, and not just because of talent but also because the team is playing TEAM oriented ball and everyone gets touches, versus basing the play around one or two players.

You can have a focus, but you need everyone to be involved to win, I think.

DD

3. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

This year's team.

The Rockets can get out of the first round depending on who they play (Portland, maybe Denver).

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'll take an Artest and Barry combo over a McGrady & Head combo

'05 Rockets had better guard play, but Bowen & Juwan at forwards brings that team down.

Might have to go with the '09 club

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

This year

6. Cbox

Cbox Member

05 cause of the dunk on Bradley.

But honestly, I think this years is the best because of all the different types of weapons we have. I think more people outside of Houston can name everyone on our team now off the top of their head.

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

No question this years team. They're younger, faster more athletic than any of those other teams. Have to attribute that to Morey and Adelman. CD and JVG were disasters in drafting and playing young players.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I say we can hang with whoever, no matter how the matchup unfold our best opp. is probably now...

Artest Yao Experiment begins!

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Interesting. This year's lineup looks the most balanced offensively.

10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I disagree. This Rockets team is a lot better and capable than many other fans (including our very own) give them credit for. From what I see in this team, I really do expect them to beat ANYONE that they end up matched against come playoffs.

The Rockets (dang ol caveat...provided healthy) can beat the lakers on the Road in a series. The 2 losses to the Lakers this year have been "asterisks" IMO. I really would like to see our current squad play the Lakers. I'm willing to bet the result would be different.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Easily this year.

12. HombreDeHierro

talented because tmac made one spectacular dunk?

lmao

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

i remember how frustrated i was watching the 05 and 07 playoff team, too many older players who were tired and didn't hussle, that was my main gripe was these guys just stand around and expect loose balls to come to them, starting with 07/08 when we got landry and scola, we became scrappier and more aggressive...i like this current team much better.

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I vote...what could have been...on paper.

15. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Member

Maybe with more of the Ron Artest Interactive Fan Experience (tm)!

And I vote this year. I would have voted last year if Yao had been in there.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The 04-05 team really should have advanced. That was Tracy at his height, which translates to the team at its most explosive.

This year's team is the deepest we've had, but we're lacking someone that can explode for 35. I'm concerned about the 1-spot. We're good at the other positions, and hopefully our chemistry kicks up our intangibles. Going to have to figure out who or what our end-of-game go-to is.

Evan

17. acjeitherocket

18. Asian Sensation

It'd be a tossup between the 05 Rockets and Todays Rockets.

'05 simply because of Mcgrady even considering we had Ryan Bowen and Scott Padgett starting at PF and a PG by committee with no "natural" PG. The 05 Playoffs Mcgrady was almost dare I say Jordan-esque. Tmac was easily top a top 5 player. Kinda crazy how much things changed over the course of 4 years.

In the beginning of the year one would assume this years team would've been the most talented by far with the addition of Artest, emergence of Scola/Landry/Brooks and more consistent play of Yao and a healthy Tmac.

If this Rockets team today faced the '05 playoffs Rockets I'd fully expect Tmac to dominate statistically even with Battier and Artest guarding him. However, this team today is much deeper even with no Mcgrady healthy or not. I'd say the Rockets team today would win in 6 or 7.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Well that 05 team very well could have advanced if the refs didn't come out and admit that they were supposed to "extend" the series so it ended going to seven instead of ending in 5 or 6.

Sura and Barry were nailz that year.

If the Rockets continue their current momentum and improvement through the rest of the year, I fully expect a first round win.

20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I expect a WCF appearance at the very least this year. They can beat anyone.