1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scatter shooting while wondering….

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jan 24, 2009.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

…what ever happened to Robert Reid? For those that are not old enough to remember Robert Reid, he was drafted by the Rockets in the late 70’s and played for the team through out most of the 80’s.

Most of us remember Moses Malone, Calvin Murphy and Rudy T from the team of the late 70’s and early 80’s but for me it was Reid right after Moses Malone. It seemed like when I got to watch highlights of the Rockets on the news it was Reid that was most often on the highlights taking it hard to the basket.

During the 80-81 NBA championship Reid wore number 50 and guarded Larry Bird. Robert Reid did an outstanding job guarding Bird and as a result Cedric Maxwell was the MVP of that series and not Bird. Reid did it all that year, he was a serious offensive weapon scoring a lot of points, rebounding and handing out a lot of assists.

In 82 Reid killed me be leaving the Rockets. It has been a lot of years but I believe he left for the ministry. At the time it was such a huge story because he was seen as such an up and coming and highly skilled player on the team. Reid was a complete offensive player and I remember being shocked at his departure. My favorite player at the time Moses Malone had left the team for Philly and I was watching what had been an NBA finals team just a year earlier turn into a bottom dweller over night.

Reid came back to the team in 83 but I remember thinking that he just did not seem quite like the same player. Ralph Sampson was drafted that year and took the number 50 so Bill Fitch gave Reid the number 33 because that was Larry Birds number and Reid had done a great job against him in the NBA finals a few years earlier.

Unlike Robert Reid’s first tour with the Rockets he was no longer the young kid on the team, now he was one of the older players and considered a leader which was a role that seemed tailor made for him. When John Lucas was kicked off of the team in 85-86 and Allen Leavell broke his hand Reid had to move from small forward to point guard for most of the play offs. Bill Fitch started Robert Reid as a 6’8” point guard against Magic Johnson in the Western Conference Play-offs that year and the strategy worked out great as we all know how that series ended.

Reid’s career with the Rockets lasted for 10 seasons and he had some great early years and solid years later in his career. He was one of the true leaders of the team in 86 when the Rockets went to the NBA finals and eventually lost to the Celtics. Today we hear Shane Battier referred to as a glue player and we have heard players like TMac and Scottie Pippen referred to as point forward but Robert Reid was the original point forward and glue player as far as I am concerned.

2. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

thanks for the lesson... i never knew what Robert Reid meant to this team

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I recall seeing him at Two Pesos on Westhimer at about 4 in the morning in the early 90's. He was very kind, especially considering the state of our group that come up to him.

4. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Now this is a great lesson, not some tinman thread

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

I know he was here in san antone for awhile. not sure about now.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

agree

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good post. Reid is in Houston I think... I had the privilege of going on the air on 1560am with him a couple of times this season. He is not been a big fan of what T-Mac has been doing to the Rockets.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=4074122#post4074122

2:32 mark of the video...
    <object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2495880&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2495880&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

I don't know how often he appears on 1560. Maybe Puff can let you know.

8. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't remember exactly when. but it was at least 10 to 15 years ago. He sent me a letter asking for a donation to help him feed the poor on Thanksgiving. I am fat and a season ticket holder so I was a pretty easy touch and made a donation. He sent back a one page thank you letter that was just so kind and personal describing the happiness of the people he fed. It was a copy of hand written note, but he signed it by hand.

I was a fan back in those days - I started in Hofeinz. I remember unintelligable Moses Malone (literally - it was pre fo-fo-fo) and a very articulate Robert Ried. At the end of games the announcer would be saying "Moses had 24 points with 18 rebounds and our player of the game is Robert Reid with 12 points and solid all around contribution", I'm sure jsut so he could have an interview he could understand. Cracked me up every time he did that.

I have no idea where Reid is today. Good memories - thanks.

9. crash5179

I guess I was just reminiscing more than anything but Reid seemed like such an Classy guy on the team. I never remember him complaining about his role, or his minutes or about being moved from Small Forward to Shooting Guard to Point Guard.

Shane Battier has that same kind of class about him, never worried about how the team uses him but always willing to do what is asked.

I remember thinking after the Rockets lost to the Celtics in the Finals that Reid was going to be a star in the league and that along with Moses Malone the Rockets were going to be better than the Lakers or Celtics. But those were the musings of a 15 year old kid. I hated how we lost Malone and Reid but I was also a huge fan of Phi Slama Jama and of course my optimism returned not with the drafting of Ralph Sampson but with the drafting of the Dream.

When Reid left the team the first time it was such a huge story, but when he left the second time I don't remember any fan fare at all. Maybe because it was such a shock that such a young player would just choose to give up the sport as opposed to an aging player that was closing in on the end of his career.

Anyway, I have not lived in Houston since 89 so I never new if he was still promanent in the community but after reading Clutch's post appearently he still pops up from time to time, which gives me a little smile because he really was one of my favorite players back in those days.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reid was one of my favorite Rockets. You are right, he was a solid all around player. And a true glue guy.

In a way, he was like Battier. He was a smart and disciplined kind of defensive player. He was articulate and nice and humble. He played hard all the time. Battier is a better 3pt shooter. But Reid was more athletic and had a much better handle then Battier. Reliable mid-range jumper, though his shooting form was kind of weird.

One image I always remember is toward the end of that Finals series against Boston, Game 6 when it was clear we were going to lose, Reid was on the floor after a hustle scramble and lost the ball out of bound. His expression lying there on the floor was so dejected as if saying that they had given their best effort but still was not good enough.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Battier couldnt hold Reids jock. Reid was a 6'8 whatever. he played,pg,sf,and sg. Anyone remember who was guarding Magic? Yeah RR. What about Worthy? RR was there too. I wish the rox had a guy that was intangibles like reid.

12. crash5179

I don't think he was talking about exact matches. Battier could not compare to Reids offensive game. Reid was a complete player and a much better rebounder than Battier. But both are total team players and very classy guys.

Like Battier Reid often times had to guard the other teams best player that was not center.

Reids best statistical seaon:
    16 points per game
    7 rebounds per game
    4 assists per game
    2 steals a game
    .482 field goal percentage

nice numbers IMO.

13. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Great stuff. I was too young to remember any of the stuff in the early 80's as I was born in '77 but it would have been awesome to experience it. I remember seeing a few televised games in the mid 80's where he played. After that I think he played in Charlotte and Philly. I wonder how we will look at the players from this decade a few decades from now...

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I met him a couple of years at an Austin Toros game, introduced myself, and he was just as nice as can be.

Bobby Joe Reid, what a class act.

DD

15. djimi

djimi Member

thanks for the valuable rockets history lesson...Reid sounds like a really great guy

16. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

#16 rocketsregle, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  17. crash5179

18. LFE171

LFE171 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eI7oPXu_vcU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eI7oPXu_vcU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He gets some love at the 3:30 mark. Man, I wish I was born and old enough to have experienced this. Love the classy attitudes of this team.

19. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Robert Reid did an auction for my school back in the late 90s. He also came to a saki function that I attended with my parents. Fun guy to be around, great sense of humor. He drove a nice luxury SUV last I saw, and he is still doing business locally in houston.

But I do agree, he was a great Rocket during the 80s, and he doesn't get much credit for his services to us. Overall good guy that played some good minutes for our Rockets.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You couldn't follow the Rockets back then and not love Robert Reid.

[​IMG]