1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T_Mac and other High School Draftees

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T_Man, Jan 1, 2009.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Me and some buddies of mine were sitting around discussing T-Mac and his declining skills. Then we started discussing the declining skills of Players straight out of high school compared to those that went to college.

We looked back at other players such as

1) Bill Willoughby - (One of only a few players to ever block Kareems sky hook) how it seemed that his skills went from a high level to average over night.

2) Darryl Dawkins - ( "Dr. Dunkenstein" and "Chocolate Thunder" himself - The original Shaq) how his skills just went from 10 to 3 overnight within 7 years in the NBA. Once he left the sixers his career was on the decline.

3) Moses Malone - ( The most PROLIFIC RBOUNDER EVERRRRR, a rebounding machine and one mean S.O.B on the court) He was one of the exceptions to the rule where he was like a fine wine that got better with time.

4) Lloyd Daniels - (One of New York's finest a court legend, unfortnauntely could never leave the crack alone)

5) Shawn Kemp - (all I can say is RAIN MAN!!!!, the prototype of a true power forward) - Skills declined faster than a snowman in a heat wave. He was never the same after the shorten NBA season went from 210 to 340, could have played the part of Santa in the Santa Claus movie.

I believe one of the problems is with physical maturity... I don't feel as if these guys bodies are ready for the NBA life style on and off the court except for players such as Kobe and Lebron. Those guys were basically being trained from the NBA from Elementary School.

So since there is such a wide specualtion on T-Mac and his skills I thought I would bring this round table topic to you guys to get your opinion and insight on this...

2. Tmacfan0115

Tmacfan0115 Member

I think you might have forgotten about Jermaine O'Neal who is pretty much going through the same thing as T-Mac except he has been traded to a different team.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Jonathan Bender knee ended his career.

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Interesting that these guys have about a 7 to 8 year span before they start breaking down...

They are only about 27, 28 or 29 years old and it looks as if there bodies are about 40+, compared to the guys that were drafted out of college.

5. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

All of the people who have declined fast was due to happen because of one word --- INJURIES

Those babies break down the body. :(

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think it boils down to the extra wear and tear brought on by the 4 additional seasons of NBA play. Even if these youngsters don't play much early in their careers I still believe the physical stress put on their bodies by the practice against other NBA players wears down their bodies.

Look at most NBA players loss of athleticism. You very rarely see a guy who has not lost a little by age 30 (most have lost more than a little). In some cases, like Tmac and J. O'neal, they have lost quite a bit of athleticism much earlier. Then look at track athletes. It isn't uncommon at all for sprinters and long jumpers to peak in their 30s; the same age when NBA guys have "lost a step."

It isn't age, it's the wear and tear and the earlier it begins the earlier it takes its toll.

7. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

reding this i think that the only who don't gonna break like this gonna be lebron ?cuz of his phisical shape ? maybe :eek:

8. thegame_2234

don't forget kevin garnett\

sorry

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

How bout Kobe Bryant?

10. thegame_2234

yeah too

11. Asian Sensation

Darius Miles- Inuries/weight problems/ off court issues.
    Al Harrington- Still a good player but he seems old as hell at age 28.
    Shaun Livingston- Weak/Career ending injury

Missing exceptions from the players already mentioned is Dwight Howard. Guys a man-child and extremely durable. Amare Stoudemire had a serious knee issue and recovered extremely well. Bynum should be one of the good to great future centers as well.

Like everything else. Some players pan out and some don't.

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Eh...

Kobe's still on top of the league.
    KG is still up there. (his stats are down, but the ring and DOPY put him way up there)
    'Shard Lewis is still one hell of a player.

13. thegame_2234

yeah
    we Exclude them from the highschool sindrum but the others are meltin in injuries

14. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I dont think it makes a difference. Yes you named some players that are breaking down (Tmac, Bender, O'neill, Miles) but you were countered with (Howard, Lewis, James, Bryant, Garnett). Also its not like college players dont break down as well, a la Ralph Sampson.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't see any difference between players who came out high school, and those who leave college after a season.
    <br>
    Plus, this comparison only tells one side of the story.
    <br>
    Kobe, KG, Moses Malone, Amare, Dwight Howard, Lebron, Tyson Chandler, and Rashard Lewis can all attest to that..

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    lol you beat me by a minute :D

17. Supa Scoopa

Supa Scoopa Member

How about Stephan Jackson? He was in the same situation as Kemp, attended college for a short time but didn't play ball. He was also drafted the same year as T-Mac. He's been injured quite a few times, but he hasn't had the huge decline in skills as T-Mac has shown. And he actually looks like he cares.

Here's the WIKI page for people who want to see all the prep-to-pro players.

Like some guys have already said, I don't think there's a difference in shelf life between college and high school players.

18. Asian Sensation

Another good durable player that came straight out. Big Al Jefferson. He also suffered a knee injury early on and recovered and bring IT every night.

The original argument in inconclusive.

19. i3artow i3aller

I really don't think the additional games make that much of an impact. T-Mac's body is simply not as sound as many other players. He is coming back from major surgery and may not be 100 percent until next year. Tjat neomg saod. we can still take solace in the fact that T-Mac's well publicized first round exits have given him extra time off, and that he ALWAYS brings it in the playoffs. He truly raises his play to a category reserved for basketball's immortals, and this year we'll reap the benefits.

20. jlwee

jlwee Member

This is all mental than high school draftees!

Players like Shaun Livingston n Jonathan Bender are having career ending injuries so we cant really compare them.
    Players lie Moses, KB, KG, Stephan Jackson etc etc are all fierce competitors who played with heart, passion and fire night in night out, injuries or no injuries.
    Players like JLo, T-mac and Kemp are weak minded, laid back type and lazy guys that's why they decline over years.
    Yes Tmac may have bad back and injured knee now but if you could averaged 20+pts 7 rebs and 7 assts one week to averaging less 10pts in another week, you know is mental more than physical!