1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Will Yao pass Calvin Murphy to be 2nd highest scorer in all-time rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacyaorox, Dec 20, 2008.

1. tmacyaorox

tmacyaorox Contributing Member

Yao scored 30 against kings last night, making up to 8,185 career total points. He passes Otis Thorpe, and becomes the 8th highest in total points scored for rockets among all-time rockets. Here is the top list:

1. Hakeem Olajuwon: 26,511
    2. Calvin Murphy: 17,949
    3. Rudy T: 13,383
    4. Elvin Hayes: 11,762
    5. Moses Malone: 11,119
    6. Robert Reid: 8,823
    7. Mike Newlin: 8,480
    8. Yao Ming: 8,185

It is almost impossible to surpass the "dream", but could he pass Calvin? Assume yao retires in rockets (I think he will) and plays 7 or so more years. If he stays health and play 70 games per year (this is the key), he could average 20 ppg. This makes 9,800 pts. He would end up with 17,985 in total points, just overtake Calvin Murphy. I think it is possible, but it is tough, considering he has to stay health and play in his top game in next 7 years.... but it should be easy for Yao to pass Rudy T to take the third seat. what you guys think?

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His lack of athleticism and risk of injury because of his height will possibly curtail him to having 3-4 more good years but I admit I could be wrong. I could see him scoring around 20 points a game for 70 games per year if he remains fit over a 3-4 year period.

3. jodonsea

jodonsea Member

如果不出意外,第三应该不难!

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yep, i totally agree... such wonderful insight.

5. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

Assume Yao will play 6 more seasons, not include this season, per season play 80 games (include playoffs) every game he score 20 pts, thus his pts will be 9600 pts, and plus this season among the left game, he score 1000 pts, so his career pts will be the second place in Rockets. But still in order to finish this target, Yao should stay as a rocket man all his career and keep his status..

6. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

我认为他将是第二! 即使通常伤害。

7. YAOandMSC

YAOandMSC Member

这个说不准,但休斯敦一定会留下他的印记!

8. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

是。 他是历史的最了不起的中国篮子球球员。我实际上不讲中文。 :D

9. comehere2

comehere2 Member

he'll retire within 3 years. ;)

3 rings maybe. yeah, i'm dreaming.

from start to the end. one team.

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Where is Tracy? He should not be far below the list either.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I think he will not top Calvin Murphy because:

-Yao has high risk of injury
    -Will not avg. over 20 ppg. in next seven years

Reason why he might pass Calvin is that if he stays healthy plays on the top of his game and reaches his peak.

Ofcourse some people forget that big man reach their top game around 30's - see Kevin Garnett, Shaq with Wade, Tim Duncan etc.

12. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Well,there's still a possibility that Yao will surpass Rudy T.if he stays healthy the subsequent 3 or 4 years,he'll be no.2 on that all time scoring list of Rockets.

But what's the odds that a big man like man would maintain his career with already impaired body to the next 3 or 4 years?I doubt he could manage to extend his career as Rocket for 9 years.Health would decide everything on him.

Playing 70 games per season will do a great help to get Yao over Rudy T.A'ight,whenever he'll pass no.2 on the list,he's still a great player in Rockets history. ;)

13. killer instinct

H town will want him to be traded before this happens because it is such a fair weathered town and he will never live up to the expectations some continue to DREAM up for him.

he won't pass him because he has to give up more shots on this team to keep some guys happy......... I don't believe he will become the scorer everyone expects as long as Tracy is on this team. otherwise he would be forced to figure out how to score night in and night out.

Thats ok with me I want a ring for him, not a record.

14. ft100301

ft100301 Member

Translator is very powerful!!!, I understand all of them....

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

no he won't get that many points. i think around 15000 would be a big accomplishment for yao.

however, if he wins a fwe rings, his legacy would be higher and that's what more important.

we've seen what stats will get ya in regards to tracy. gotta win in this league. props to tracy for passing 17000 pts recently anyways.

16. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

您讲中文?

17. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Actually I do,most of time,you can tell from the username I have.I can understand 'em all. ;)

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yao's on the downward curve. I don't see him averaging 70+ games over the next 7 years or averaging 20 ppg the rest of the way.

I do think he'll pass Rudy, and almost certainly get his jersey retired when all is said and done.

#18 durvasa, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

No way he's going to beat Calvin. Best case scenario, he surpasses Elvin.

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member