1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIGHT: Rafer Alston suspended 2 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wink2cat, Nov 14, 2008.

1. wink2cat

wink2cat Contributing Member

[Chron] FIGHT: Rafer Alston suspended 2 games

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6112585.html

Rockets' Alston to miss 2 games because of fight
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    Nov. 14, 2008, 12:10PM

SAN ANTONIO – Rockets guard Rafer Alston received a two-game suspension on Friday for his role in the scuffle in the third quarter of Wednesday’s game in Phoenix, forcing him to miss tonight’s game against the Spurs and Saturday’s against the New Orleans Hornets, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.
    Alston went after Suns forward Matt Barnes after Barnes hit him while Alston set a screen for Tracy McGrady. Both were ejected from the game.

Barnes also received a two-game suspension. Suns point guard Steve Nash was suspended for one game for his role in the shoving that followed the confrontation.

Suns center Shaquille O’Neal was fined $35,000 and McGrady received a $25,000 fine. O’Neal, Nash and McGrady received technical fouls.
    "Rafer and Matt Barnes, I didn’t think (the infractions) were equal because I thought one guy initiated and one retaliated," McGrady said. "The guy that really initiated should have had more games. I don’t think Rafer deserved the same amount of games."

"About the 25, I don’t care about that."

McGrady did dispute Barnes’ notion that McGrady had previous set a hard screen on Nash.

"A hard pick?" McGrady said. "That wasn’t a hard screen. His (teammate) should have called out a screen. Any screen is hard if your man doesn’t call it out and you don’t see it. It’s wasn’t a hard screen. He just didn’t see it. I think he already had a pinched nerve in his neck. I don’t set hard screens. I don’t think I set a hard screen in my career."

Asked about Barnes retaliating by running through an Alston screen, rather than on McGrady directly, McGrady said, "He chose wisely."

Players may appeal the league’s ruling, but that could only impact fines.

"I don’t have any (reaction)," Morey said. "To me, the league has a role to play to keep the integrity of the game high. I thought Phoenix’s role was bigger than ours and the league was move severe on Phoenix, which I thought was appropriate."

With Alston out, Aaron Brooks will start, but the Rockets could be limited off the bench more than by not having Brooks in his sixth man role, with Brent Barry a game-time decision because of a sprained right thumb.

#1 wink2cat, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Dang, that sucks, Brooks time.

3. ILoveTheRockets

woohoo, more seasons to show the coaching staff that AB needs to be the starter, but Rafer is going to be missed tomorrow when we play the Hornettes.

4. BQE

BQE Rookie

"Asked about Barnes retaliating by running through an Alston screen, rather than on McGrady directly, McGrady said, "He chose wisely." "

LOL...

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

A little surprised that Rafer got 2 games when Barnes started the entire mess. Shocked Shaq didn't get anything since he knocked down everyone in site afterwards.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Spurs game is perfect for Von Wafer to get minutes, especially with Barry having the thumb sprain.

AB will tear it up.

7. ILoveTheRockets

on a side note. Nash should be suspended as well, he had no reason to come flying into the crowd and singling out Rafer. Not once did Rafer do anything malicious to Nash and he went after Skip. Not cool at all.

8. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Nash did get a game

9. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Barnes started the mess, but Rafer kept it going. He was chasing after Steve Nash and slashing his neck.

What I don't understand is why Nash got suspended and Tracy and Shaq did not.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is really tough. We need Rafer to defend Paul tomorrow.

Of course, this is also a good test for Brooks. We can see whether he is a starting pg material.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"Suns point guard Steve Nash was suspended for one game for his role in the shoving that followed the confrontation."

12. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

He was suspended for 1 game.

13. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'd say Nash's response wasn't really out of the ordinary. It's just a guy coming to his teammate's defense. Not defending anyone's actions in the whole ordeal, especially Barnes', but I don't have a big problem with what Nash did. Barnes and Shaq, that's a whole 'nother story. I can't believe Shaq didn't get suspended for (hilariously) pushing everyone in the scrum simultaneously.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i think everyone handled this pretty well, including the league in their response. nash, tracy, shaq, and yao were all trying to stop a fight from happening.

everyone except the refs that didnt call a tech or a flagrant on MB in the first place.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Can we see Francis to play in these two games?

I remember Morey said Francis will have a chance if the team has injuries.

16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Time for AB to smoke Hill.

No TP = no need for Alston defense

17. FFz

FFz Member

It's going to hurt not having rafer with the chris paul game. I hope brooks doesn't get exposed as a defensive liability that game.

18. monster

monster Member

LOL X 2

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This part is unintentionally revealing and hilarious.

20. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

"About the 25, I don’t care about that."

haha, thats smooth