ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

There Was An Offer from Detroit for TMac
Tags:  basketball, clutchfans, defense, denver, detroit, detroit pistons, houston, houston rockets, nba, playoffs, ron artest, tracy mcgrady, yao ming Tags
AggieDentist is offline Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
AggieDentist
AggieDentist is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19025
my cousin works in the Detroit office, and he told me today that, before the Pistons pulled the trigger on the Billups-for-AI deal, they were pondering a Rip+Sheed-for-TMac+Chuck deal. those were the principal players in the deal, with possible allowances for picks either way.

at the time, they hadn't extended an offer to Rip yet, and they're still unsure of whether or not Rasheed re-signs with them. as has been widely reported, even though they traded McDyess away, there were talks of him getting waived by Denver, sitting out 30 days, and then going back to the Pistons b/c he's already settled-in there in the rotation. the front office is apprehensive about losing Rasheed for nothing, and with Maxiell, Amir Johnson, the ("agreed-upon") return of McDyess, and the encouraging play of Walter Hermann off the bench (not to mention Kwame in case of emergency), they were willing to part with Wallace. after the trade went through, they extended Rip, and so i'm guessing the offer is off the table.

i dunno how i feel about the (now moot) offer. on one hand, i'd be excited about having Rip and Rasheed, mainly b/c Rip runs around screens the way TMac should and Wallace gives us a legit 4/5 option (and an upgrade over Landry/Scola). Rip seems tailor-made for Adelman's offense, and he's still somewhat healthy, at least compared to TMac. and when it comes to Rasheed, i think we all know the positives he brings to the table.

on the other hand, neither player commands double-teams, and acquiring Rasheed would almost necessarily make this year a make-or-break one. as consistent as Rip might be, he doesn't have the game-takeover-ability that TMac displays 25-40x a year, and at the very least, doesn't command the respect of the defense the way Tracy does. i'd sorely miss Chuck's defense, but Rasheed is generally regarded as the premier post/PF defender in the league, especially against stars like Duncan, Amare, and Boozer. but while he'd be a great addition alongside Yao, there's the danger that he (& Artest) would bolt if we didn't get that far in the playoffs this year, making this a 1-year rental. most alarming for me was that this trade wouldn't solve our PG issues at all. sure, Rip can bring the ball up occasionally, but PG-by-committee with Skip, AB, Barry, Rip, and Luther doesn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of our opponents.

anyway, i thought this news was pretty interesting, and thought i'd share it with y'all. it's always nice to hear that other teams still value TMac, moreso than many Clutchfans do. i'm not his biggest advocate, but after losses, it seems like every member around here thinks our Houston's Big 3 is worthless, and then proposes to ditch everyone.

Sponsored Link
Tsquare is offline Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Tsquare
Tsquare is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33485
If that was true about Rip and SHEED then we truely missed out on a good trade.

BQE is offline Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
BQE
Rookie
BQE is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Oct 2008
Member: #34947
hmm interesting, I dont think Pistons ever had Rip in trade discussions. Everything we heard over the summer, it was TMac for Sheed and Billups.

Tsquare is offline Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Tsquare
Tsquare is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Aug 2008
Member: #33485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQE
hmm interesting, I dont think Pistons ever had Rip in trade discussions. Everything we heard over the summer, it was TMac for Sheed and Billups.
i though it was billups and prince...

moestavern19 is online now Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
moestavern19
Contributing Member
moestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldmoestavern19 is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1017
That trade looks really good at the moment.

barryxzz is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
barryxzz
Contributing Member
barryxzz is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16078
Quote:
Originally Posted by moestavern19
good for rip too since he is suffering playing with AI.

finalsbound is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
finalsbound
Contributing Member
finalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemfinalsbound is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1850
Ugh...I'm not hating on T-Mac here but that would've been an outstanding trade for us...

Hayesfan is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Hayesfan
Contributing Member
Hayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereHayesfan is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20409
Quote:
Originally Posted by moestavern19
For Houston maybe... I don't know that Detroit would have actually gone through with it.

I keep saying if Daryl trades Chuck it better be to a team closer to Kentucky.. so that works

AggieDentist is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
AggieDentist
AggieDentist is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #19025
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQE
yeah, i asked my cousin about that, and he said that the Detroit radio station started some rumor about Billups-and-Prince for TMac (as the principals).

this latest talk within the front office came out after watching how Amir Johnson, Maxiell, and Hermann were playing during training camp and preseason.

justtxyank is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
justtxyank
Contributing Member
justtxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldjusttxyank is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jul 2005
Member: #16238
I don't believe this for a moment.

rockbox is online now Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
The rockets would have been sick if that trade happened.

TesseracT is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #12
TesseracT
TesseracT is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTesseracT is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTesseracT is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30677
Ron and Rasheed?

Teams would be so scared to start anything.

TheGreat is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
TheGreat
TheGreat is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTheGreat is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT
Ron and Rasheed?

Teams would be so scared to start anything.
Artest and Sheed in the fans? That would be a massacre, jk.

That would be a really good trade thought, imagine a lineup of this

PG Rafer
SG RIP
SF Artest
PF Rasheed
C Yao

Bench:
Battier
Scola
Landry
Brooks
Barry

Deep!

solid is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
solid
Contributing Member
solid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heresolid is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2001
Member: #2406
I hope that is not true, because I would have done any of those deals in a second.

We have entered a new era of Rocket's basketball; not since the championship years have I been this optimistic. (Correction: the jury is still out) (Update: the jury has been sequestered, this may take a while)

WillG is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
WillG
WillG is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30194
Am I missing something here? Sheed hasnt been **** in like 4 years and even then he was overrated.

bullardfan is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
bullardfan
Contributing Member
bullardfan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebullardfan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finebullardfan is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32575
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
Am I missing something here? Sheed hasnt been **** in like 4 years and even then he was overrated.
wat r u smokin??

yaopao is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
yaopao
Contributing Member
yaopao is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #14129
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
He's still a large upgrade from Scola, particularly when it comes to defending other PFs.

Sheed would have been as good of a REALISTIC PF to play alongside Yao.

Emma is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #18
Emma
Emma is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQE
Yeah, we missed a good trade. No matter what Detroit can offer we are favored. BTW, Rip+Sheed > Billups + Prince > Billups+Sheed > A first round pick > keep t-mac

Storm Surge is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #19
Storm Surge
Rookie
Storm Surge is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17739
Our team would be sick, way better than the Lakers if that happened.

Sheed would contain Gasol, then drop threes in his face on offense.

Rip would run off of 500 screens, driving Kobe nuts trying 2 guard him.

Don't see how Morey could have turned that down, so I'm guessing this is false.

BrooksBall is offline Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #20
BrooksBall
Contributing Member
BrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Surge
Our team would be sick, way better than the Lakers if that happened.

Sheed would contain Gasol, then drop threes in his face on offense.

Rip would run off of 500 screens, driving Kobe nuts trying 2 guard him.

Don't see how Morey could have turned that down, so I'm guessing this is false.
No team is going to be way better than the Lakers.

That deal would have made us better though. I wish it happened.