1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Got to go big with suns?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XBLRocketman111, Nov 12, 2008.

1. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

After the previous 7 games of the season being out rebounded and looking at times like we are lost on the defensive end. Will tonight be the first night where dorsey get some decent minutes? Banging with shaq all game, will make yao a liability on the offensive end. Especially with his lack of confidence lately. Even though dorsey has not had many minutes, and is considered SHORT even though he has a 7'0 wingspan with great upper body strength, and very athletic.

I think adelman has to go to dorsey and hayes quite a bit tonight, hayes more than dorsey. We cannot let yao bang with shaq for 40 minutes tonight. Last game against the suns last year, we threw loren woods out there against shaq. Same with Dorsey?

Also more food for thought with dorsey on shaq could produce on the offensive end? I don't know what kind of shape he is in but he looked very quick the last 2 minutes of the game against LA, Maybe we can run shaq and get down the floor for easy buckets with dorsey in the game? Does anyone else see it or is it just me? or my man crush on dorsey?

2. FR0497

FR0497 Member

Shag is only averaging 25min a game. I can see him possibly going 35 this game. I actually hope he does because Yao plays Shaq very well. I'd much rather see that then Yao trying to guard Amare. And you've lost it on the Dorsey thing. Old Shaq will embarrass the rook.

Oh btw, there is no such thing as going big with our lineup.

3. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I don't understand why Adelman hasn't at least given Dorsey a shot when we are getting dominated on the boards. I'm sure he will be lost on defense, but he should be able to help on the boards with his pure athleticism. RA has been willing to gamble on rookies in the past, why not this year? If nothing else Hack Shaq with Dorsey. Hayes defensive advantage is somewhat reduced with a mammoth guy like Shaq that he can't push away from the basket with his strength. I'm am with the group that thinks this team cannot compete for a championship without getting bigger at the PF position and with a backup c. Either use Dorsey in this capacity or find somebody to fill that void or fail in the first round again.

4. Asian Sensation

+1 on everything you said...... Lets hope the trend of Yao playing well against Shaq continues. I think if he can play well it will be a big boost to his confidence. I have a feeling Amare is going to go off for at least 30+ points and at least 12+ boards.

Just like Yao always tries to prove something against Shaq.... Amare does the same ten fold when he see's Yao on the court. :(

5. Asian Sensation

We are only what 7 games into the season? I don't think we can just throw Dorsey out there because 1) he's a liability both offensively and defensively. But more importantly 2) we are trying to build chemistry and let these group of guys gel and that can't happen with Dorsey playing 10-15 mpg.

But at the same time one can argue since we are only 7 games into the season and he has size why NOT just throw him out there and see what he can do. If there's any time you do play young/unproven/rookie players it's usually early rather than later in the season.

It's a conundrum for sure but lets sit back and watch what Rick does. I am confident in his ability to make things work.

6. XBLRocketman111

Exactly, look at the landry situation, adelman was thinking in his head well, i wished i would have went to him sooner! You don't know until you get him floor time, if he doesn't produce then, then take him out but give the rook a chance.

7. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Good point. I had forgotten that.

8. XBLRocketman111

I say give it a shot what can you lose? another game?

9. GMAC

GMAC Member

Yao Ming! Must focus, young Shogun.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dorsey can only rebound right now.His defense is not at NBA caliber at the present time. Spot minutes for him before he fouls out is the most I expect from him.

11. ibm

ibm Member

go big against the suns? sure, sure.

yao - 5
    scola - 4
    dorsey -3
    landry - 2
    hayes - 1

big enough?

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Can the Rockets go big even if they wanted to?

13. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

NO! must go bigger! :mad:

14. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

LOL...

there's no such thing as going big with our team.

I haven't watched the suns much since they acquired shaq, so I'm not sure if they are still a run and gun team. If they are, I believe we stick to our defensive guns like we have for the past few seasons. And we also play a half court game to throw the suns out of their element. I'm not expecting the motion offense thing to happen this game. It will take much longer(maybe january) for it to start working.

The iso plays unfortunately might be the only way to go (i hate admitting it but its true). It's just a matter of our big three stepping up and playing to their potential.

15. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Go Big? :confused:

Do you mean playing Hayes at C? :D

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Even when dorsey fouls, shaq will have to make him pay at the free throw line. Really, even if Dorsey get's six straight fouls on shaq, shaq will hit between 5 to 7 of his free throws. I think Dorey has huge potential of lighting "that spark". Send out the "BULLY".

I'll never forget my first Rocket's game. It was Penny's first year and Shaq went super cold at the free throw line in the 4th and allowed the Rocket's to make a huge comeback. Anyone remembert that game? I'm excited by this thread because a legend like Shaq will bring the best out of Dorsey. If Yao looks slow tonight again, I say go with Dorsey, but I'm really excited about seeing some hard fouls and passion. I REALLY do believe that the coaches will give Dorsey a look tonight.