ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

The Craig Ackerman Thread
Tags:  basketball, craig ackerman, houston rockets, nba Tags
tofu-- is offline Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
tofu--
tofu-- is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finetofu-- is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2008
Member: #31526
So for the many of us that listened to the radio today to get our Rockets fix, here's a place to post your thoughts on how you thought Craig Ackerman did and how he measured up to the legendary precedent Gene and Jim have left behind.

A new era indeed. Let's hope for the best for the organization!

Sponsored Link
clos4life is offline Old 10-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
clos4life
Contributing Member
clos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boardsclos4life is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #29124
He doesn't measure up but I think he was pretty decent.

Untraceable is offline Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Untraceable
Untraceable is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Apr 2006
Member: #17855
i used to love when gene talked about rafer's floaters..

ShiniKashi is offline Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
ShiniKashi
ShiniKashi is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodShiniKashi is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30190
too much enthusiasm for the opposing team....

Ridiculer-in-training of the Official Clutchfans Statistical Genius.

T-Yao is offline Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
T-Yao
T-Yao is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2007
Member: #23631
He's not bad, i just miss the old low voice of Jim..or Gene..one of them had the deep voice.

#1 Jerry Nguyen fan

Clutchfans forum when Lin is struggling: "trade him! he's trash! worse player ever! d-league player better!"
Clutchfans forum when Lin is back and better: "best backup PG ever! praise lin! thank God for lin! we need lin!"
-oh hilarious

Rox_fan_here is offline Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Rox_fan_here
Contributing Member
Rox_fan_here is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodRox_fan_here is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12487
The guy is in a lose lose situation. Its impossible for anyone to follow Gene & Jim's legacy. That being said, I think he has done the best job anyone can in that situation and look forward to hearing him in the future.

shaggylambda is offline Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
shaggylambda
shaggylambda is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5497
It would be awsome if the Rockets would bring Jim and Gene out of retirement to do one of our games in the Finals.

raining threes is offline Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
raining threes
raining threes is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu--
So for the many of us that listened to the radio today to get our Rockets fix, here's a place to post your thoughts on how you thought Craig Ackerman did and how he measured up to the legendary precedent Gene and Jim have left behind.

A new era indeed. Let's hope for the best for the organization!

Jim Foley was great.

I actually liked Craig better than Gene. It was easier to understand what was happening during the game

JayLau910 is offline Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
JayLau910
JayLau910 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2006
Member: #19926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiniKashi
too much enthusiasm for the opposing team....
exactly.

its okay to be excited to an extent ... but not THAT excited for each of rudy's dunks

Carr Bombed is offline Old 10-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
Carr Bombed
Carr Bombed is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32714
Quote:
Originally Posted by raining threes
I actually liked Craig better than Gene. It was easier to understand what was happening during the game
Gene made even a regular season game sound like game 7 of the NBA finals.....great voice (Better than Milo...who's overrated). The Jim and Gene era retired 1 year too soon, I hate that Gene's last game had to be in Utah...he hated the Jazz. Comeback Gene..just one more year.

v3.0 is offline Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
v3.0
Contributing Member
v3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16081
Nothing really wrong with Ackerman per se except for the aforementioned getting crazy on opponents dunks, but just unfair to step into 2 legends shoes. Didn't know Wexler would be the color guy.

IMO Gene is up there with Johnny Most and Chick Hearns and should be HOF material. So should Jim.

Nice Rollin is offline Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Nice Rollin
Contributing Member
Nice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boardsNice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boardsNice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boardsNice Rollin is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #17539
he repeated the score a lot...

Jimes is offline Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Jimes
Jimes is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16819
There were a couple mess ups from what I heard, but nothing huge. Stuff like saying "he blew the layup and got the foul to boot". Not as mesmerizing as Gene & Jim, but yeah like someone said, it's a tough act to follow.

Landlord Landry is offline Old 10-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
Landlord Landry
Landlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLandlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLandlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLandlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLandlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLandlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereLandlord Landry is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30698
I like Craig, he's perfect for the job.

wexler doing color is brilliant.

REEKO_HTOWN is offline Old 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
REEKO_HTOWN
Contributing Member
REEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldREEKO_HTOWN is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32179
I'd rather have Adam and Danny do the call the game. I would rather have some young guys that love our team call it. I liked those two guys that call games for Orlando?...I forget who they are but they were funny.

Bandwagoner is offline Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
Bandwagoner
Contributing Member
Bandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemBandwagoner is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2006
Member: #16417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlord Landry
I like Craig, he's perfect for the job.

wexler doing color is brilliant.
Wexler is seriously doing color?

I thought he was just doing the old ackerman job, i turned on the radio a few times and just heard ackerman.

The_Yoyo is offline Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
The_Yoyo
Contributing Member
The_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsThe_Yoyo is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3378
never listen to gene and jim (dont live in the houston area) live

but i guess its similar to when chick hearn passed away--he was the lakers pbp guy on both radio and tv and he was great -the best i've ever heard in any sport.

anyways paul sunderland filled in for chick on tv and joel meyers on the radio. paul actually did a pretty good job i thought but too many la fans hated him because he was the guy who followed chick. now joel does their tv games and he isnt nearly as good imo.

this guy ackerman probably will have the same issues for a while and it will be the same for whoever follows up worrell on tv.

sammy is offline Old 10-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #18
sammy
Contributing Member
sammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchsammy is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLau910
exactly.

its okay to be excited to an extent ... but not THAT excited for each of rudy's dunks
those dunks were pretty sick and it's the preseason so its whatever. didnt get a chance to listen to him though

stipendlax is offline Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #19
stipendlax
stipendlax is Omer Asik -- working the boardsstipendlax is Omer Asik -- working the boardsstipendlax is Omer Asik -- working the boardsstipendlax is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30709
"THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE TIMECLOCK!"

conquistador#11 is offline Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
conquistador#11
conquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeemconquistador#11 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18869
he just doesn't have a good voice,and there is nothing that can be done about that. I mean.... what if you called a sex operator, and the lady on the phone sounded like she smoked 13 packs a day? would you still find it hot?

I'm sorry but i switched over to Adrian Chavarria. I will be switching back for post game interviews and the post game feedback, which rocks!