1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

September 11th Rememberance

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRaiderRocket, Sep 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RedRaiderRocket

Didn't see a thread on this subject but I still feel it is a very important one. I will never forget the day and where I was when I heard the news. I was in Milan, Ital I had only been there for a week. My father got transferred over there, and I had only been there for a week. As I was getting out of class, I heard on the radio and by my parents tell me that America was attacked by terrorists. I could not believe what they told me till I got to our house and spent hours watching CNN since that was the only tv station that I got that was in English. Till this day I still can't believe what happened only 7 years ago, and the pain and suffering the families must of went through. I pray for comfort for these families.

Though their Lives are Gone, Their Soles Will Keep Our Country Strong. We Will Never Forget September 11th, God Bless America!!!

2. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Senior year in high school...I was heading to third period when I over heard some younger kids talking to each other saying "Did you hear that a plane crashed in NYC?"

I didn't think it was a terrorist attack until I got into class (late) and everyone was tuned into the radio.

We didn't have class...all we did was we turned the radio up and listened...we heard that a second plane crashed into the trade center and the pentagon was hit...We were so confused and scared

Each class I went to for the rest of the day, we sat and watched the news if we had a TV.

I won't forget that day like a lot of people.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Senior in Highschool. I had just finished Varsity Basketball practice, and was headed to the cafeteria to get some grub for dinner and some thing to drink when I found out, it happened. I ran back to the dorm to watch the 2nd one fall on tv.

RIP

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Freshman year of college. I'd actually gone to the gym that morning because I decided like I did once a year that I would finally hit the gym regularly to get buff. Came back and saw chaos on tv, will never forget it.

What sticks out in my mind a lot as a sports fan is that the night before was
    Monday night football and I will always remember the game before.

49ers vs Giants.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I had a job interview that morning. I woke up and the clock radio had a lady frantically saying "the buildings.....they're just....gone". I thought they had imploded an old building downtown or something.

Got up, turned on the TV to find out the world would never be the same again....

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I was sleeping in at parents house and sorta faded in and out to John Granato's voice on 610 who was reporting it in the morning. After I fully awaked, it felt like a surreal dream of what I heard. The rest of the day was just watching the 24/7 news on all the channels.

7. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

The beginning of my Soph yr at UT. I was actually driving to campus for once because I had to drop a bf off at his place, leave my car there, hike it across campus, and take a test.

Had I taken the bus, I probably wouldn't have heard about it until lunchtime at best.

Coincidentally, it's also my 2 year mark at my job today.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

While we remember 9/11, the rest of the world and even the enemy should mark this day as well...not for a supposed one-time victory they think they accomplished on that day when they blind-sided us...but for all the people that have died since then due to the ripple effect of 9/11. OBL and company should be real proud about what they are, what they have done, and what they continue to do to the people around them. :rolleyes: They have basically united the world against them. They are going nowhere and they only people willing to follow them are the ignorant. They sealed their own fate with 9/11. They were better off taking potshots against our military...than taking it to us head on. Now, we have a foothold in their part of the world that won't be diminished any time soon. It seems greater scrutiny is occurring in the tribal areas and more troops will be going to Afghanistan. Their running out of places to hide. If they want to perpetrate another 9/11-like event, then they better think twice due to the consequences...but they won't cause they only care about a doomed religious take which can only end in death and defeat.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I was working when we, a colleague and I, heard them say the World Trade center was on fire on the radio. It wasn't one of the news stations or anything so we thought they were doing some sort of stupid joke.

Of course then I went online (at that time I think I was the only one in the company with internet access other than the two bosses) and found that it wasn't a joke.

I tried calling my college roommate (who had moved to New York in July of that year) and of course got voice mail.

So we turned on the tv and news radio to watch the events occur... and worry.

We work near an airport so after the mandate for planes to be grounded was passed out it was eerily quiet overhead. We were used to hearing one every fifteen minutes or so.

Needless to say we didn't get much work done that day.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

In my dorm room sleeping, and my roommate woke me up just before the second plane hit. It was at that moment that I remembered my dad was scheduled to leave for a business trip that morning and I didn't know what his destination was. Turns out it was L.A., so he obviously got there safely, but it freaked me out for a bit.

11. AXG

AXG Member

I'm glad somebody put a thread about this up. We need to remember those who lost their lives on that tragic day seven years ago.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

Actually it was Broncos vs Giants, I remember because Ed McCaffery broke his leg that game.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

before i jump all up your ass can you explain what you mean by that^

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

At about 9ish, I was in my Anthropology class. My phone rang. "Hello? Hey, I'm in class..."

Mrs. SwoLy: "Hey! REAL QUICK! I know you're in class... but... I was flipping through the news, and they have one of the towers of New York, you know, the twin ones? It's on fire! They said a plane hit it... "
    Me: "Oh yeah, where? In New York? When was this? Is it still on tv?"
    MS: "YEAH! It's on there now... there's smoke coming out of the building at the highest point... they are reporting one plane hit the tower--OH MY GOD. OH... MY... GOD! [!]"
    M: "What? What happened?"
    MS: "OH MY GOD! A plane just hit the other tower!"
    M: "What? Where? You saw it?"
    MS: "Yes! The cameras were on the fire, and another plane just hit the other tower! OMG! They're BOTH ON FIRE!!! :( This is scary!! OMG, I'm scared... :( "

:( dudes, I cry every time I tell this story. :( I am in tears right now.

EDIT: SORRY about that. Now I am embarrassed.

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Huh? What was wrong w/ that statement?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

17. thegary

i may be taking it wrong, i would like to know what he means by it, how do you read it?

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

And to think that thread only made it to 10pages. Would be like a 100 now.

19. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I don't see what was wrong with his statement. What do YOU think it means?

Anyway, it's sad that I didn't think about it being 9/11 today. Seems like yesterday...in my architectural design class in high school, listening to some oldies. Breaking news of a crash. Then another one. Then switch over to my history class where I told my teacher, he went to CNN.com, and we just watched everything unfold on the tv.

20. thegary

who are YOU? i took it to mean that some americans, probably liberal commies :rolleyes: , have forgotten. i'm a new yorker, i think about it all the time. i don't, and this country shouldn't, need a special day to sentimentalize one of the gravest tragedies in american history. he could have easily not meant it that way and i admit i'm probably overly sensitive because, well, it happened in my city in front of my eyes. the majority of us here have great disdain for bush/cheney and their evocation of 9/11 as their own cross to bear.