1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Chad Johnson formally changes his last name to "Ocho Cinco"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Aug 29, 2008.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-1-431/Johnson--Bengals-getting-more-zany-.html

Johnson, Bengals getting more zany?

August 28, 2008 7:47 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

If the Cincinnati Bengals' offseason couldn't get any more strange, Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson may have added a new chapter just before the regular season.

According to Miami radio station 790 The Ticket, which is in Johnson's hometown, the receiver has legally changed his last name to "Ocho Cinco." Johnson's -- sorry -- Ocho Cinco's reported name change has been rumored in NFL circles for weeks, and according to the station today, it's official.

Johnson forewarned the public that a major surprise was coming during a recent interview with Chris McKendry on ESPN's SportsCenter.

"A lot of people look at Chad Johnson and say he's crazy and he does a lot of stuff, but I don't think people really understand how smart I really am," Johnson said. "So come Sept. 7, I believe when we play the Baltimore Ravens, I think that's the game, there's a surprise for everybody -- for everybody. When I say something, it is what it is, just enjoy it. Because it's going to last 16 weeks, plus some more."

Could this be it? If the report is correct he should be able to wear his nickname on the back of his jersey without penalty, which he's wanted to do for quite some time.

The media also would have to refer to him as Chad Ocho Cinco from this point on.

Sounds little strange, but nothing is too outlandish for No. 85 or the Bengals these days.

Stay tuned.

:D

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ocho Cinco?!?!? :eek:
    Hispanic?

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What an idiot.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That's what is now official.

He's been wanting "Ocho Cinco" on the back of his jersey for a while. The NFL said no. I had no idea he was actually going to change his name in order to force that to happen.

I like the guy a lot and think he's good for the NFL but he's stepped into the nutcase zone.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

his initials make a funny word.

6. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Swoly...change your name to Otro Puto........

7. SwoLy-D

LOL, It's official... KTRH reported that I already changed it... I already updated my wikipedia page, like tha'... sas! y todo... :D

Anyway, here's an x-ray of Ocho's head, showing his brain:
    [​IMG]
    :D

8. conquistador#11

how dare he find a loophole in the laws of the commissar. Ocho should be suspended for the game against the texans! make an example out of him.

Ocho cinco no longer has that special meaning, like when he first introduced it. I believe he did it to honour latin american heritage month.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Can't he just change it back after his playing days are over? :confused:

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I would think so...From a marketing standpoint, it draws attention to him and the organzation, good or bad, but it's amusing...I have no problem with it...

So, when we have a race draft, does that mean the hispanics can pic him now? :p

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Ron Mexico is jealous.

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

If your gonna change your last name and replace it with a number in another language, atleast make grammatically correct. :rolleyes:

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Now that is what you call dedication. :)

14. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I'm a Bengals fan, but it would be funny if he got traded and had to wear another jersey number.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Exactly. I don't see what the big deal is. Dude wanted his nickname on the back of his jersey, and he found a legal way to get it done. Props to him. And at the end of the day, he generally performs on the field and is even going to start off this season playing hurt. What's the problem??? It's not like he is out there getting arrested, beating on folks, getting busted with coke on him, etc.

Folks in the entertainment industry (and football is entertainment) change their names or go by an alias all the time.

16. SwoLy-D

What's wrong with ocho cinco grammatically in Spanish? It's a name. :confused:

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's like saying "Eight Five" instead of "Eighty five."

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Technically, it could be read either way. I could say his jersey is eight five or eighty five.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

True.

20. SwoLy-D

O' I know that. There is nothing grammatically incorrect about saying "Ocho" and then "Cinco." It doesn't need to follow ANY rule about grammar 'cuz it's a freakin' name! :eek:

I heard some dude's name was "Dick Assman". Dude. WTH. Respect the name. Laugh a little, yes, but... eh... respect the name... no? ;)