ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

Can you retrieve data from a broken cell phone?
Tags:  cell phones, phones, verizon Tags
baller4life315 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Sep 2003
Member: #13882
I was cleaning out my desk the other day and came across my old busted Razr. It's in two pieces, busted right at the two joints where it flips so the bottom part still turns on but obviously nothing shows up on the detached screen.

My question is: can you retrieve any data from the phone? I'm pretty sure there's a memory card port in the phone. Could I insert that then have the Verizon people transfer all my pics & videos onto the that? Would something like that work?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate as I have no knowledge of cell phones. Well, other than how to break them.

Sponsored Link
Dave2000 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Dave2000
Contributing Member
Dave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2971
nope not at all, in a nutshell, did you setup backup assistance to save your contacts? thats basically the free service everybody never uses and complains why they lost their contacts....

<---- listens to this everyday at work, which bores me to death

baller4life315 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
baller4life315
Contributing Member
baller4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the pointsballer4life315 is James Harden -- racking up the points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2000
nope not at all, in a nutshell, did you setup backup assistance to save your contacts? thats basically the free service everybody never uses and complains why they lost their contacts....

<---- listens to this everyday at work, which bores me to death
No, I didn't but i've been through so many phones to the point where some of them still saved my contacts despite being busted. I was just hoping there would be a way to get my pics & videos off of this phone.

I figured if there was a memory card slot or something there might be a way. Guess not. Thanks for the feedback, though.

DarkHorse is offline Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
DarkHorse
Contributing Member
DarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #839
If the phone still powers up, you can connect it to your PC using Motorola Phone Tools, and you'll be able to get all of the pictures and stuff off that way.

I've got it and use it a lot for things like custom ring tones.

rrj_gamz is offline Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
rrj_gamz
Contributing Member
rrj_gamz is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrrj_gamz is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
If the phone still powers up, you can connect it to your PC using Motorola Phone Tools, and you'll be able to get all of the pictures and stuff off that way.

Hmmm...I need to check that out, althuogh my daughter's is a samsung...I'm assuming you could do the same thing...

PSN = rrj_gamz

Miguel is offline Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Miguel
Contributing Member
Miguel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMiguel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMiguel is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMiguel is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrj_gamz
Hmmm...I need to check that out, althuogh my daughter's is a samsung...I'm assuming you could do the same thing...
Pretty sure Verizon's stupid custom OS makes it so you can't use Moto Phone Tools.

Dave2000 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
Dave2000
Contributing Member
Dave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDave2000 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Aug 2001
Member: #2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller4life315
I figured if there was a memory card slot or something there might be a way. Guess not. Thanks for the feedback, though.
yea, alot of people think that, you can't even do that for PDAs unless its a third party software.

sorry if I sounded arrogant with my reply up top, i guess it was 4am in the morning and u can have Miguel to blame for hating my job....

baller4life315 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
baller4life315
Contributing Member
Quote:

Really? Even with the Razr? I've been looking around and I don't see a memory card slot after all. It could be there and i'm just missing it but all I see is the port where you connect it to the battery charger.

It still powers up so i'm very interested to see if this works. These "Motorola Phone Tools" you speak of, what's the deal with those?

Sorry for all the questions. Like I said the only thing I know about phones is how to break them.

DarkHorse is offline Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
DarkHorse
Contributing Member
DarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneDarkHorse is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
Really? Even with the Razr? I've been looking around and I don't see a memory card slot after all. It could be there and i'm just missing it but all I see is the port where you connect it to the battery charger.

It still powers up so i'm very interested to see if this works. These "Motorola Phone Tools" you speak of, what's the deal with those?

Sorry for all the questions. Like I said the only thing I know about phones is how to break them.
I have T-Mobile, and a w490, although I've used the exact same software when I had a RAZR, and I've been using this software to pull down pictures, make custom ring tones, etc for about 3 or 4 years.

I've only ever used Motorola phones, and only on T-Mobile, so I can't vouch with certainty outside of those lines, but the software definitely works. You just plug your phone right into the PC like a camera or something.

You do have to buy it, but I actually got it on torrent and it works just fine.

So there you have it.

baller4life315 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
baller4life315
Contributing Member
Quote:
I have T-Mobile, and a w490, although I've used the exact same software when I had a RAZR, and I've been using this software to pull down pictures, make custom ring tones, etc for about 3 or 4 years.

I've only ever used Motorola phones, and only on T-Mobile, so I can't vouch with certainty outside of those lines, but the software definitely works. You just plug your phone right into the PC like a camera or something.

You do have to buy it, but I actually got it on torrent and it works just fine.

So there you have it.

Torrent? I don't even know what that is. I don't mind buying the cord or whatever, my question is could it work by plugging the cord into the battery port? That's the only port thingy I see.

I think I get what you're saying though. As long as it still turns on, you plug it in and load all your data onto your computer.

I'm sure Verizon has some kind of feature prohibiting this but i'll give it a shot.

DarkHorse is offline Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
DarkHorse
Contributing Member
Quote:
I don't mind buying the cord or whatever, my question is could it work by plugging the cord into the battery port? That's the only port thingy I see.
If you don't have a USB port like a camera, then you're probably out of luck. But yes, it's probably the battery port.

baller4life315 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
baller4life315
Contributing Member
Quote:
If you don't have a USB port like a camera, then you're probably out of luck. But yes, it's probably the battery port.

Sweet. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it turns out. Mind you, with me i'll be probably end up crashing my computer in the process.

DarkHorse is offline Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
DarkHorse
Contributing Member
Sounds like Verizon blocks a lot of this. Here's a wiki on how to get by it, but it's probably over your head:
http://www.wikihow.com/Hack-a-Verizo...m-Mobile-Phone

baller4life315 is offline Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
baller4life315
Contributing Member
Quote:
Sounds like Verizon blocks a lot of this. Here's a wiki on how to get by it, but it's probably over your head:
http://www.wikihow.com/Hack-a-Verizo...m-Mobile-Phone
Thanks again. Yeah, I would probably never figure all that out but I have a couple friends that understand some of this stuff too. I'll make them do it. :D

Ziggy is offline Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Ziggy
Contributing Member
Ziggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsZiggy is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #543
Any 3rd party phone repair shops around you? If its possible they will do it for a reasonable fee.

Smeg's Fantasy Football Coach of the Year 2013