ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

View Poll Results: Who would you want to join Ackerman in the broadcast booth?
Matt Bullard (Clyde takes TV color spot full-time) 5 5.75%
Clyde Drexler (Bullard takes TV color spot full-time) 4 4.60%
Van Chancellor 3 3.45%
Calvin Murphy 40 45.98%
Matt Jackson 12 13.79%
Jon Barry 19 21.84%
Other (Please specify) 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Who would you want to join Craig Ackerman on radio broadcasts?
Tags:  basketball, craig ackerman, houston rockets, lsu, nba, poll, van chancellor, women Tags
ClutchCityReturns is offline Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
ClutchCityReturns
Contributing Member
ClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2005
Member: #16162
I guess I'm behind the times, but I didn't realize that the Rockets were planning on Craig Ackerman going solo on radio broadcasts next season. When he was announced as the replacement for Gene & Jim, I assumed they would then name a broadcast partner, but I haven't seen any news indicating that they're going to do that. Has anyone heard anything on this?

So, since I was making a thread to get clarification on this anyway, I figured I might as well make it a little more interesting by including a poll asking who everybody would like to hear on radio broadcasts with Ackerman. You may have to suspend at least a little belief while voting, since some are much less realistic possibilities (ie. Van Chancellor is currently coaching the LSU women's team).

Let the voting begin.

Sponsored Link
Achilleus is offline Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Achilleus
Achilleus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2003
Member: #13855
Simulcast Clyde Drexler!!!

RocketFan is offline Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
RocketFan
Contributing Member
RocketFan is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16423
Matt Jackson!!! Calvin is suited on TV.

BleedsRocketRed is offline Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
BleedsRocketRed
BleedsRocketRed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBleedsRocketRed is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30963
Bullard or Barry would be nice to hear on the radio.

Stop confusing me with BleedRocketsRed. We're not the same person

BrooksBall is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
BrooksBall
Contributing Member
BrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24539
Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show.

pugsly8422 is online now Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
pugsly8422
Contributing Member
pugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herepugsly8422 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3585
Tough choice. I want Clyde out so bad that I would almost pick him since I watch more games than I listen to. I'd love to have Calvin back, but like someone else mentioned, with those suits he wears, he definitely needs to be on tv. Therefore my vote would have to go to Matt Jackson. I enjoy listening to him on 610 and think he would do great in this role.

Pugs

Cocainecowboy is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Cocainecowboy
Cocainecowboy is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jul 2008
Member: #32777
I chose Calvin he has a face for radio..

FFz is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
FFz
FFz is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Sep 2006
Member: #19783
sooo tempted to choose clyde just to get him off tv... but its gotta be murphy.

texanskan is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
texanskan
Contributing Member
texanskan is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Member: #16435
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFz
sooo tempted to choose clyde just to get him off tv... but its gotta be murphy.
I voted Clyde because I don't see the Rockets asking him to leave so Bull (who keeps getting better) can do tv and Clyde stays on the radio

"You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning."

txtodd is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
txtodd
txtodd is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodtxtodd is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Feb 2008
Member: #30386
Mike Newlin. We could look up all the big words at halftime.

saleem is online now Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
saleem
Contributing Member
saleem is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesaleem is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finesaleem is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jan 2001
Member: #2094
I voted for Clyde by mistake. I want to see Calvin with Ackerman. Matt Jackson would be my next choice.

PigMiller is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
PigMiller
PigMiller is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #30234
Matt Jackson is the only logical and reasonable choice. He already works for the station, is a good speaker and is a noted die-hard Rockets fan.

count_dough-ku is offline Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
count_dough-ku
Contributing Member
count_dough-ku is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecount_dough-ku is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecount_dough-ku is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3795
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksBall
Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show.

"Me?"

weslinder is offline Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
weslinder
Contributing Member
weslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereweslinder is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18282
Since I doubt that Van Chancellor is available, my next choice is Jon Barry. But no one will replace Gene and Jim. Gene Peterson is the greatest sports announcer ever, any sport, any media.

Guys, this is not a reliable journalistic source. Hold off on the torches and pitchforks. Who the hell even is Jeff Balke? Never heard of him. Houstonpress.com is also just a blog, not a credible source.

mrdan is offline Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
mrdan
Contributing Member
mrdan is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: May 2007
Member: #22837
Jon Barry is awful...

BrooksBall is offline Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
BrooksBall
Contributing Member
BrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBrooksBall is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2007
Member: #24539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdan
Jon Barry is awful...
No, Clyde is awful. JB is decent.

PigMiller is offline Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #17
PigMiller
PigMiller is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #30234
Why would Jon Barry give up his national TV gig for a local radio job? I know he likes Houston, but I seriously doubt he likes it that much.

ClutchCityReturns is offline Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
ClutchCityReturns
Contributing Member
ClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchClutchCityReturns is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Apr 2005
Member: #16162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigMiller
Why would Jon Barry give up his national TV gig for a local radio job? I know he likes Houston, but I seriously doubt he likes it that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
Who would you want to join Craig Ackerman...
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
You may have to suspend at least a little belief while voting, since some are much less realistic possibilities...

v3.0 is offline Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
v3.0
Contributing Member
v3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsv3.0 is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jan 2005
Member: #16081
I want that guy who does our summer league, you know which one....

"Barrrrrr-errrr-aaaa!!!!"

durvasa is offline Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #16420
How about JVG?

I think I'd prefer that Ackerman just go solo rather than the realistic options.