1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the better player? Battier, Posey, Bowen, or Udoka

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Jul 17, 2008.

?

Who's Better?

1. Shane Battier

195 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. James Posey

48 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Bruce Bowen

17 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Ime Udoka

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. All Four Are Basically The Same

22 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

In another thread, I was talking about who was better - Battier or Posey. Others have discussed this as well. So I began thinking about other similar players and I wanted to see who everybody, objectively speaking of course, thinks is a better overall basketball player between these four. This isn't about who the better person off the court is. This is strictly about who the better overall player on the court is. Please don't let your biases and perjudices get in the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. apocclass

apocclass Member

why is udoka even being mentioned in the same breath as the others ?

3. Kwame

I was thinking about similar players to the first three and he seems like he's going to take over Bowen's role eventually in SA. He played well in the playoffs I thought. Udoka is a good defender and good 3 pt shooter, which is what the first three excel at as well. Please feel free to disagree though.

4. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

It's probably between Battier and Posey. If you were to judge from accomplishments then it would be posey or bowen because of their rings, but as far as whose better overall I'd have to say Shane would get the slight edge.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shane is more consistent on both ends. Posey can take things to another level when feeling it. I think most coaches would go with Battier.

6. Asian Sensation

Tayshaun Prince >>> Battier ≥ Posey > Bowen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Udoka

7. bbjai

bbjai Member

Agree
    100%

8. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4swNusqH1I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4swNusqH1I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. Kwame

I thought about including Prince, but I didn't think there would be any point since he is head and shoulders above the rest of those mentioned.

I'm not sure how scientific this is, but on basketballreference.com they rate Battier, Posey, and Bowen as being relatively similar:

Battier
    http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=BATTISH01

Posey
    http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=PoseyJa01

Bowen
    http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=BOWENBR01

The similar players by career numbers is on the bottom of the page and on the right hand side. Again, I'm not sure how sound the methodology is.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Rudy Gay + Stromile Swift

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

I was wondering how long before someone brought this up.

I must admit, a bit longer than i thought.

12. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

Of course bowen is the best.Considering his age,it's very hard for him to match up with LBJ and KB,but he still brought troubles to them.A great defender,a sharp shooter.and he is the most feared person ,who has brought tremendous fear to ray allen,...any other 2/3 stars.he is one of the three guys who are the key person for spurs' 4 ships.The other two are duncan and popolvic.There are just two rosters who has won the whole 4 rings in spurs,one is duncan ,the other is bowen.Bowen is as great as duncan,or even greater..... :eek:

13. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

This comes down to Battier vs Posey and I think Battier is slightly better.

14. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

ryan bowen

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Battier, Posey, and Bowen are similar players. Good defenders and won't take a shot that's not a 3 pointer. I'd put Battier ahead of both of them because Bowen is too old and about to retire while Posey is no where near as a good a defender as Battier.

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Im pretty s ure most coaches would pick BAttier out of anybody in that list

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well pat and doc picked the right one baby, uh huh

[​IMG]

anyway, aside from the tired "coaches love the battier" argument, I'll agree with battier is more consistent, posey shows flashes of being much more than a role player.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Battier is to Posey and the current Bowen what Michael Jordan is to Vince Carter.

Udoka doesn't belong in the conversation.

19. The_Nine_Gates

Out of the choices in this group I would say Batter is easily the best player.