1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rant] Company Truck got broken into

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave2000, Apr 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

posting this for a friend that needed to rant, has a handle on here, but can't start threads, so here's his story....

Ok, my company truck got broken into at West Oaks Mall and they hit the jackpot. They popped the lock by shoving a screwdriver into the keyhole, very easy to do it seems. My mgr already warned about this in an email and I'm worried about my job cause he warned not to leave our laptops in our truck after this has already happened to my peers, some right on our company parking lots.

Inside that was stolen:

Laptop bag with following contents: company laptop (it requires a Windows password to log in, but I have been using it to order stuff and pay my bills, alot of personal info in company timesheets/expense reports/other word and excel documents...so I'm worried)

company provided USB air card

company expensed digital camera with 1g SD card

a 1g and a 2g USB memory sticks with the 1g having my resume as far as personal info, but I think it has timesheets which may have my SSN

here's where I'm worried: a little travel pouch with my checkbook and my passport; I'm calling my bank and the Passport 1800# for lost and stolen ASAP. pouch also had some hotel and car rental membership cards, don't know if I need to be worried about those, need ID with those anyway.

multicard reader, 4 port switch, surgical scissors, CAT6 cable

backpack had other knicknack things as I tend to shove anything I need in that but those are the main things

other things stolen:

a bunch of tools, my toolbag, including a Fluke ProcessMeter, Fluke AmpMeter. Fluke Voltage Detector, Fluke Network Tester.

inside my center console that was stolen: my Ipod, GPS, but not my XM portable radio

Tried to steal my radio as the panel around the radio was yanked out

Actually tried to steal the whole truck as I think they jammed a screwdriver into the ignition keyhole. My key wouldn't turn properly, finally got it to start.

Reported to mall security, and police, got police case # to give to my Mgr. I actually drove to the nearby HPD building to file a report as I got tired of waiting for the cops. I've gathered up as much SN on the high dollar items as possible, cop told me the special investigator will want this (although I know its a slim and none chance any of it will turn up). I've got the original boxes for alot of those high dollar items, but just wondering if those little stickers on the boxes with numbers and barcode are the actual SN (not the UPC barcode).

Oh well, someone is going to make some money at the pawnshops. Most of it are company provided or expensed, and can be replaced. I'm just worried what the boss will say and more importantly, that info in that memory stick and in that pouch.

Just wanted to vent. Comments welcome.

2. Cesar^Geronimo

not nearly as dollar valuable --- but every other weekend I work at a crisis shelter for kids up to age six.

This weekend someone jumped the fence and stole toys (bikes, balls, etc...) out of the back play area (they had to go over one fence and thru another).

The caught two of the kids (but didn't get any of the stuff back) The kids they caught were 6 and 5.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

dude go put credit alerts right away on your stuff if you had your passport and SSN stolen. most of the time crooks who pull this sort of stuff dont know how to steal identities but be damn sure that they know someone who would be able to.

4. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

West Oaks Mall is scary now.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you have to go through your personal insurance for any of this, keep in mind that when speaking with them it is important to differentiate what is personal and what is business related. Your personal insuarance policy will (generally) not cover items used in your business.

Be prepared. If you speak to them over the phone detailing what was stolen, they will probably be recording it which they will inform you of after your conversation.

I hate thieves.

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Change all of your passwords quick. Windows password is easy as hell to change/crack with the right software.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What's the dude's "handle"?

Just curious who we're feeling sorry for.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

sweet, i've been looking for cheap laptop. ;)

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I know it's the last thing you want to hear, but you shouldn't have had that stuff in your truck, locked or not.

I learned the hard way...twice.

The first time, I was parked in front of my parent's house on a weekend home from college. I had brought a bunch of stuff home with me, but didn't want to unpack it all, as I was turning around and leaving the next morning anyway. When I went out the next day, everything was gone. My cd player, my subwoofers and amp, my cell phone, my iPod, and my backpack (with my wallet in it...and my SS card in that). On top of it all, my backpack also contained all my textbooks and notes for that semester, and this was the weekend before finals. Talk about f_cked. I'm not embarassed to say that I cried.

The second time, I was at my girlfriend's house during the Rita evacuation. Because of the evacuation, I had all of my most important belongings with me at the time. On the day I was going to head back to Houston, I loaded up my car around 5pm, thinking I'd be heading back soon. Soon after that, her mother talked me into staying for dinner, and I didn't want to unload and reload my car again, so I left everything in it. Didn't think anything would happen that time of day. When I went outside to leave around 9pm, I noticed that my trunk was popped. Turns out they took all my clothes, my shoes, my overnight bag, my guitar, and a special ring that my girlfriend had just given me (she was leaving the country for a year the next day). It sucked some balls.

Now I don't keep ANYTHING in my car. If you break into it, the most valuable thing you'll find is the stock radio. Other than that, you might score a smelly wife-beater, a worn out basketball, a half-eaten BIG BAG of Doritos, or some 6 year old Binaca.

Just don't leave things in your car unless you're prepared for them to be gone when you get back.

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Wow, that really sucks.

Hopefully, your friend won't be an identity thief victim.

I always leave my work laptop in the trunk if I go anywhere after work and Acura TSX has this feature that nobody can open the trunk if the lever is locked. I have to unlock it with the master key, not spare key. This would be good if my car is, god forbid, stolen but won't be good if the car won't be found.

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Scary?

12. bobrek

While what you say is good advice, it is very frustrating to hear the blame laid at your feet when you are wronged. My wife's Firebird was stolen and we heard a lot of comments along the line "...well what do you expect...".

It is not the person's fault who had the stuff stolen. It is solely the fault of the thief.

13. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

yep, Houston particularly is a real ****hole when it comes to car vandalism

I never leave anything whatsoever in my car anymore, not even when I go to the grocery store for 5 mins at Whole Foods or Central Market

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

As my personal accounts should show, I too know exactly how it feels to have your car broken into. It's one of the most violating feelings I've ever experienced, and I agree that it's 100% the fault of the thief.

My point is that if someone wants to break into your car, they're going to break into your car. No alarm system is going to stop them. So the only thing you can do to absolutely ensure that your stuff doesn't get stolen is to not leave it there in the first place.

Trust me, there are a lot of times when I want to leave things in my car because I don't have pockets on my shorts or whatever, but I don't. And I also don't get those things stolen anymore.

15. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

it has nothing to do with the person's fault, it has to do with common sense

like if someone parks at Sharpstown mall with a big Tiffany's bag in the front seat and diamonds in plain view, would you expect it to be there a few hours later?

16. bobrek

My point is that no one should ever say anything like "...you should have known better...", "...what did you expect....", etc.

There are times when you simply have to keep stuff in your car. If you are on vacation and stop to eat, should you unload your car? If you are coming home from work and stop at the grocery store, should you carry your laptop, CDs, etc with you into the store?

If you are Christmas shopping and buy items, should you go home prior to going to each store and drop off your purchases?

Obviously, most folks will keep items in the trunk, but if a car can be broken into, so can a trunk. In addition, some cars have no trunk.

Put the blame squarely where it lies - the thieves. It is never my fault if I get robbed.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

for those who has been around my clutchfans "clique" can probably guess who it is

18. no_answer

no_answer Member

His boss told him not to do it, and he did... so he knew not to have those things in the trunk incase someone did break into the truck.

Hell ya! On black friday I went home and dropped off things before going back out. Even i'm not stupid enough to drive around with my purchases.

Anyway, sorry to hear you got robbed. Live and learn.

19. bobrek

So since I am "stupid", explain to me how to keep a car from getting stolen while in a parking lot?

Explain to me how to protect my stuff when I am on vacation and I stop to eat or stop to buy something with my possessions in my car.

20. no_answer

no_answer Member

I didn't call your "stupid", but you are touchy. :)

I didn't disagree with those instances. I just commented on the ones that I did disagree with, but to protect yourself I recommend getting good car insurance. kiss kiss :p