1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

A Season to Remember

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Double-posting this so it doesn't get buried on Page 9 of my Magic Number thread. I probably should have started a new thread in first place...

With the Rocket’s victory over the Clippers tonight, they have officially clinched the #8 Seed. Clutch Fans, we are going to the playoffs.

In a season that started with huge expectations, a new coach, a maligned group of rookies, concerns about point guard and power forward, and a young GM with a weird mathematical approach to team-building, we have certainly gone through our ups and downs.

Rafer was Public Enemy #1 and a prejudged felon only to steady his game, clear his name, solidify his position as starter, and play the best ball of his career. Stevie Franchise came back, and Stevie Franchise morphed into broken-down Steve Francis. Fans still lamented the Rudy Gay trade while Shane quietly busted his ass on defense, and now Shane is a strong contender for Defensive Player of the Year. Mike James was viewed by some as a savior\sparkplug who never should have been traded, Mike James came back to Houston for Juwan, and then a washed-up Mike James got himself shipped to New Orleans with Bonzi. By the way, Bonzi says the beignets are fantabulous in the Big Easy.

Steve Novak couldn’t play defense, Steve Novak still can’t play defense, but Steve Novak finally hit the game-winning three for which Clutch Fans have been waiting. TMac struggled to adjust to Rick’s new system, TMac was hurt and the Rockets were better off without him, and TMac came back and the Rockets were unstoppable. Deke should have retired, and we now know that Deke has squirreled away a bottle from the Fountain of Youth. Scola was an international player who struggled to adjust to the NBA, and then Scola became a savvy rookie who had veteran experience, international championship pedigree, and fabulous hair. Three words: Carl Freaking Landry!

The Rockets looked terrible learning Rick’s system, the Rockets would have been better if Van Gundy stayed, then the Rockets morphed into a team that (at times) cut, picked, rolled, and thrived in Rick’s offense while maintaining the tough defense set under Jeff. Yao looked good, Yao looked great, Yao became the unquestioned centerpiece of the team, then Yao went down with a morale-crushing injury. We shot out of the gate on fire, we came crashing to the ground, we looked mediocre for more than half a season, we won 12 in a row, we were buried for dead, we pushed our magical winning streak to 22 in a row and united Clutch Fans, young and old, fair-weathered and hardcore, recent and old school, local and global, on one enormous bandwagon.

And now we’re in the playoffs. In the deepest, most competitive Western Conference ever, the Rockets have punched themselves a well-deserved ticket to the dance. Rockets, thank you! You have made the 2007-2008 season one that I will remember. So many seasons come and go without much distinction, but 20 years from now, I will look back fondly on the run that our team has put together and the players that made it happen.

I don’t know what seed they’ll wind up or how far they’ll go. Maybe they’ll have a charmed run in the Playoffs like some former Rocket squads that stunned everybody by catching fire at the exact right moment. However, those are thoughts for tomorrow or next week. I’m definitely savoring this one tonight. How sweet it is!

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

GO ROCKETS!

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Very Nice Positive Post!!!!

4. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I really only have one problem with this post.

Scola......fabulous hair. Not.

Other than that, great post and nice to see such a fun and (on all but one point) accurate recap of the season. :)

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Great post, enjoyable read.

6. ScriboErgoSum

It was a bit tongue in cheek. My wife and I always joke about those long-haired Argentinians, flopping around and waving their hair. We're convinced Stern negotiated something with FIBA so there can only be one fabulous-haired Argentinian per team. It's why Manu cut his hair when Oberto joined the Spurs, and when Oberto wouldn't cut the locks, the Spurs had to trade Scola. ;)

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I was also trying to be tongue in cheek. Sometimes it just doesn't type as funny as it sounds in my mind.

8. ScriboErgoSum

I figured as much. :D

Just thought I'd share my one long-haired Argentinian per team theory.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Beautifully said.

Even if we lose in the first round again, I would put this team on par with the 2 WCF appearances in the 80s and the two championship runs in the 90s as the most memorable seasons in Rockets history...

tinman faints :D

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

excellent post.

i find myself with similar feelings about this season as many of you, and for good reason.

i won't look at a first round exit as a failed season anymore. i don't really care either way what seed we get, and so the remaining games take a bit less importance to me. IMO each first round opponent will be too difficult to face without yao.

what i will remember about the season was that this team, without yao, would not go down quetly. the season wouldn't end early. they tried as hard as any team i can remember and succeeded to make the playoffs.

everything from here on out is gravy.

11. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Great, great post! The OP summed up the entire season and all the highs/lows we've all been through, and did a great job of it.

We are going to the freaking playoffs!!!!

12. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Great post.

It's sad that a great post like that only got less than 1 page of reply, meanwhile something stupid like "we are better without [insert the name you want]" will draw attention like crazy.

I have nothing to add or comment, just let the thread starter know that I read his/her post and appreciate it. 5 star.

13. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

[​IMG]

That'll do ScriboErgoSum

That'll do

14. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

15. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

you sir have my vote for post of the year. now lets get us a ring.

16. sook

sook Rookie

good read! :cool:

17. snappyd

snappyd Member

Haha! I think you're on to something...

Yeah, great post! It has been one hell of season to date.

This year I finally got into a position to actually view some games, and then stumbled onto this site. It's brought me a lot closer to the action as a fan in Australia.

Emotional. Best word to sum it up for me.

Whatever happens from here on in it will have been a season to remember, then anticipation for next season.

For all the criticsims people dole out to the players on this team, I certainly hope they can appreciate the heart and effort they've put into this year. To have this record in this conference with all the things they have been through is phenomenal.

18. tmackills

tmackills Member

pretty good, not gonna lie

19. KidMaven

KidMaven Member

Are the rockets a favorite to come out of the west if Yao isn't injured?

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Well said.

Now, let's go out and get that 5th seed with HCA, and beat the Jazz.