1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[boston.com]Cassell on Houston "It's the best city"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once again, the witch hunters of clutchfans are eating crow on Cassell.
    first it was the TNT interview where Sam said it was "sweet" to win a championship with the Rockets. The haters thought it meant "I hate Houston".
    What are they gonna say about this?

Now in a BOSTON GLOBE article! He talks about Houston as the "Best City".
    Also reminiscing on the glory years here and how he's learned from Clutch City. The closeness of all the old Rockets are still here. Even Dream going to the games shows that Original Clutch City shows love.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...08/03/19/guards_handed_out_assists/?page=full
    Guards handed out assists
    By Marc J. Spears
    Globe Staff / March 19, 2008

HOUSTON - Fifteen years ago, Rockets point guard Kenny Smith pulled aside rookie Sam Cassell, also a point guard, to tell him he was rooting for him, not against him. And recently, Cassell told Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo something similar.

Smith, now an NBA analyst for TNT, expressed pride in seeing his longtime friend Cassell become a mentoring figure with the Celtics.

"He's kind of ending it the way he started it," said Smith, whose broadcast team was on hand last night at the Toyota Center, where the Celtics were attempting to stop the Rockets' winning streak from reaching 23 games. "He's coming off the bench and is the guy who sometimes closes games out when the guy in front is stalling a little.

"We had a conversation one day where I pulled him aside and said, 'I want you to know, no matter what happens in a game, I'm never hoping you fail. My competition is not with you, regardless of what the papers say.' He thanked me.

"He called me three years ago and told me he had the same conversation with [Clippers guard] Shaun Livingston. I forgot that I told him that and he reminded me. He will have the same conversation with Rondo. I never felt when I was in the game and I looked over the sideline that he wasn't my biggest supporter. Rondo will appreciate that. That's hard to do."

During Cassell's first two NBA seasons, 1993-94 and 1994-95, he and Smith were teammates on Houston teams that won back-to-back NBA titles. Smith said Cassell played a solid role in the team's championship runs. Cassell averaged 9.4 points in the postseason his rookie year and 11 points his second season.

"He was a super integral part," Smith said. "We all had games throughout the playoffs where Vernon Maxwell, myself, Clyde Drexler and always Hakeem [Olajuwon], where without that effort from each of us, the Rockets don't go on. [Cassell] had games where you say, without the effort, the Rockets don't go on."

Said Cassell, "I was there the first time the city ever won a championship as far as sports. It was cool."

After three seasons with Houston, Cassell was dealt with Robert Horry, Mark Bryant, and Chucky Brown to the Suns for Charles Barkley and a second-round pick. Cassell hasn't won a title since being dealt by the Rockets, but he has a legitimate opportunity now in Boston.

"I was young, so I really didn't understand what winning a title was," Cassell said. "Now, I really do. I don't think any young player realizes what winning a championship is all about until you don't win it for a while and you try to win it again."

Smith believes Cassell is a great addition to the Celtics, most notably for the poise and experience he brings. Cassell made his first major contribution Monday night by nailing a key 3-pointer in a 93-91 win at San Antonio.

"He's not going to panic," Smith said. "That's big to have, when your point guard doesn't panic when things go wrong. When you're down 7, he won't panic. That's not saying that Rondo will panic, it's that Sam Cassell won't. When things are going awry, he can get it back on line.

"[Kevin ] Garnett and Ray Allen know that from playing with him, and Paul [ Pierce] will. And he's not scared to make the big plays. People say Sam makes the big shot, but he takes the same shot in the first as the fourth. He's not afraid to fail and not afraid to be a hero. He loves it."

Cassell, 38, also has played for Phoenix, Dallas, New Jersey, Milwaukee, Minnesota, and the Clippers, but he still lives in Houston, he says, because of the people. Ex-NBA player and coach John Lucas also runs a workout and pickup-game program for NBA players there during the offseason.

"It's the best city to live in," Cassell said. "A lot of guys live there during the offseason. It's a nice city. Sometimes [the pickup games] are the best in the country. It's great. It's still my home."

Cassell's Rockets won their titles playing at an old arena known as The Summit. It was converted to a nondenominational mega-church called Lakewood Church Central Campus in 2003.

"That's where the history is at," Cassell said. "It's definitely different. But the times have changed. Old buildings can't last that long.

"The construction is still the same on the outside, but it's totally different on the inside. You wouldn't notice that it was an arena."

Cassell seems interested in continuing his NBA career after this season. Smith sees him remaining in the game as a coach once his playing days are over.

"He's a natural coach," Smith said. "He understands why things happen. He doesn't just do them. That's what makes him a great point guard."

2. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

oh stfu

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

keep reppin htown!

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

sam is going to be a great coach.

by the time hes ready to be a head coach (after a couple of years of assisting) he might be just in time to succeed adelman.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I notice Kenny always mention MADMAX when talking about the championship years.

Hakeem - Madmax greatest Rocket's Legend in my book

LOVE IT OR HATE IT

6. kejohn

kejohn Member

I always liked Sam. A great competitor and seemed like a truly nice fellow. You have to wonder what would have been if the Rox never made the Barkley trade, which I guess was precipitated because the Rox could not beat Seattle in the playoffs. Horry once said he thought the Rox paniced by making that trade and he too wondered what would have been if the nucleus of Drexler, Olajuwon, Cassell and Horry had been kept together for a couple of more years.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I call BS. Here's a picture of Cassell's REAL home:

[​IMG]

8. tinman

Supporting Member

that's right. we'll fight all these clutch city one haters til we die!
    bulls fans, sam haters, whatever..

clutch city 1 has a strong bond to the city, regardless of what people here think. its about the facts not the perception of a couple r****d fans.

Sam even talks about the Summit. That's biblical stuff .

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This was completely necessary. I cannot read a Sam Cassell thread without hoping something like this will pop up.

Thank you.

10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Nice article! Cassell will be a great coach someday.

And this is for all the haters that are always dissing the rockets heroes.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yup.

Sam is right.

Houston is the best city to live in. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Houston is great. It's still my hometown too.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

hey sam hater,
    please translate this into "Sam Cassell Hates Houston and loves Boston"
    you have a better chance of catching UFOs or Bigfoot or Chupa Cabre or Skynet than proving that Sam hates Houston.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Always loved Cassell. If he hadn't been injured in 2004 the T-Wolves would've beaten the Lakers and probably gotten another ring.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Sam Cassell is a Clutch City Legend, and was the most underrated player for a decade. Rondo should be thankful that the Celtics were willing to sign such an incredible mentor for him.

15. yobod

yobod Member

I was wondering when you were gonna make your appearance in this thread, Tinman. And when Sam mentioned the Summit, I pictured you falling out of your chair in a faint.

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

Go Houston! :)

Did Cassell do well against us on Tuesday's game?

17. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I feel sorry for Sam that it happens but, well, the other night my wife and I were watching the Boston game. My wife had never been a Rockets fan before she met me and had never seen Sam up close. When they showed a close-up of him, she said, without any mean spirit, "Wow. He looks like E.T."

18. tracymcgrady001

19. tinman

Supporting Member

appearance??

i started this thread.

i'm ice cube and dre. I started this!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I2io7IKOZ4I&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I2io7IKOZ4I&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

cassell knows what the damn deal is.