1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rosen]illegal defense by Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Mar 16, 2008.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

more hate from our favorite rosen:

link \

Spread the floor and run the triangle offense all the way to a satisfactory conclusion. Instead, they depended far too much on letting Kobe go one-on-one against Shane Battier. Relentlessly hounded by Battier, Kobe was 11-for-33 — although it must be noted that Battier face-guarded Bryant on virtually every jumper. The last time I looked at the rule book, face-guarding was illegal

really face-guarding is illegal? i never ever heard of a rule like that...Rosen probably knows more about the little rules than I do, but i dont see how trying to block someone's vision is illegal.

2. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

rosen is right. that's why the lakers lost. supsend batman for the rest of the season.

3. rocketsmetalspd

This bozo should see how Bruce Bowen plays D. Bowen does the same thing and no one ever mentions it being illegal. Man the hate keeps rolling.

4. seanluu

seanluu Member

seriously? face guarding is illegal? is that a joke

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was under the impression that the defender cannot face guard a player while he is holding the ball. I don't think it applies while the player is in the act of shooting. I could completely wrong but if what Battier does is anywhere in the universe of being illegal I think it would have been mentioned by opposing teams and brought to the attention of the league many times.

I'm sure Mark Cuban would have compiled hours and hours of video along with a blank check and sent it to David Stern to check it out.

6. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

bowens method is to actually try to poke out the opponents eyes thus, impairing his vision.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Since when is face guarding illegal? Rosen is a freaking moron.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Rosen, you are such an ass clown...

9. LScolaDominates

Funny... this guy is paid to cover the NBA and has never noticed Battier's defensive tactics before. Charley Rosen, consider yourself EXPOSED!

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I thought opponents used to face guard Michael Jordan often.

11. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

So, is he right. Anyone?

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

According to Feigan, it's legal in the NBA:

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/03/cant_catch_22_rockets_roll_pas.html

And I'm more apt to believe a current NBA beat writer, than Rosen who glorifies the 60's and 70's so much, that it wouldn't surprise me if it's been that long since he cracked open a rulebook.

13. bbjai

bbjai Member

can someone actually confirm if this is true or not
    im pretty sure coaches don't consistently emphasis hand in face for a shot if it was illegal

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

According to Feign, he's done it all season. Does that make it legal though? I'm looking for a more absolute answer.
    Good find though, and quick too.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is the only thing I could find in the rulebook, nothing about putting a hand in shooter's face or blocking shooter's vision.

m. Eye guarding (placing a hand in front of the opponent’s eyes when guarding from the rear) a player who does not have possession of the ball is illegal and an unsportsmanlike technical shall be assessed.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

17. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I don't see face guarding violates any rule:
    http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_a.html?nav=ArticleList

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i thought the whole point of playing defense is to put a hand in the shooters face....what would be the point of defense?

19. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

From what I understand, it is illegal to face guard player when they don't have the ball?

I really doubt you can make what Battier did (when opponent is shooting) illegal. Then how you play defense against great players like Kobe?

20. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I think Rosen is referring to us facialing (if thats a word) every critics out there :D