1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Work hard, and stay humble"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Streets 01, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I can't remember the exact phrasing, but I think T-Mac said something to this affect was the Rockets motto.

I think we as fans need to do the same, especially the "staying humble" part. I understand getting amped up and cheering for your team, but I think we're bordering on cocky. The Laker game last night proves just how difficult this streak has been. We shouldn't take any game for granted, look passed anyone, assume we're in the playoffs, that we're better without Yao, etc.

This streak of Lakers, Boston, New Orleans, Golden State, and Phoenix (back to back) REALLY scares me. But we could also easily lose to New Jersey, Atlanta, and Charlotte beforehand.

I like that the media overlooks us and gives us no respect. But I also like the Rockets are playing with a chip on their collective shoulders, rallying for the big guy, playing for respect, and ultimately taking it one game at a time.

Go Rockets!!

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

One game at a time...

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The only time I've ever heard McGrady talk about humility was when he said that he hoped Francis's time in Orlando and New York had humbled him. Gee, welcome back Steve.

He certainly wasn't being humble when he told one of the greatest players of all-time that he couldn't learn anything about basketball from him.

4. matty101

matty101 Member

nice post.

I agree with you. If the guys dont bring it every night they will lose games they shouldnt. No team in this league are pushovers.

The good thing about this team though is that it has guys like Battier, Scola, Mutumbo and Landry who do in fact bring it every night and the team often follows suit.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The thing that impresses me is I fully believe the team, by the way it is playing now...is in full agreement that they realize the importance of each game. In the past, it was rare to feel this confidence...

6. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

effect...not affect...affect is a verb...effect is the noun you were looking for...

7. Guru

Guru Member

He said, "Stay Hungry and Stay Humble"...

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Chuck has had it coming for years now. He was bagging on Kobe up until Kobe gave all of the TNT crew PS3s. Chuck can be bribed even just to give praise to a team he would otherwise pick on. At least McGrady isn't pussyfooting and playing down Chuck's stupidity.

Also he is correct in saying that Chuck doesn't watch games in studio. He didn't do it during one of big boxing matches when games were going on. He always talks about how bored he is and how he doesn't care. It's pretty obvious he only watches game he wants to watch and only gives generic idiotic responses to the teams he dislikes or doesn't give a damn about to watch them and provide insightful analysis. I mean he was one of the members of the crew saying McGrady was no good for the Rockets and needed to be traded. Yes Magic started it but I didn't hear any disagreements from anyone outside of Ernie who stayed neutral.

9. Clutch34

Clutch34 Member

I hope the Rockets truly believe in this motto, especially Rafer. I hope his run-in with Chris Paul and Tyson
    was more personal and not something that happens each game between Rafer and the opposing team.
    I love his confidence and understand trash talking is part of the game...but do it with respect and with your play.

Next trip to NOH is going to be a heated one...can't wait!

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lighten up tinman jr.

Tracy McGrady is one of the best basketball players to ever don a Houston jersey and Barkley is a moron who is obviously wrong about nearly everything when you consider how much money he loses trying to bet on games. You'd probably take it a little more personally if someone was labeling you a "B list" player too.

I'm getting tired of all this "former rockets fan do no wrong" horse****.

Barkley and Kenny and Jon Barry can kiss my ass for being haters and if Hakeem himself said this years Rockets team isn't worth squat, he can kiss my ass too.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Everything you said was true but Barkley has never been known for his great analysis of the game, even his own crew at TNT blasts him on it. Charles isn't the one to take basketball notes from unless you're watching him play not listening, he was truly great though.

12. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Thank you man!

That was seriously killing me. I wish I could change the thread title. I would also change my sig to that, but I like the one I have.

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

It's...

"Stay humble, stay hungry."

It's one of my favorite quotes of all time (it's not original to T-Mac though, it's been around forever)

14. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

"Work hard and stay humble" IS what tmac said during the interview.

Here's what everyone else is refering to though...

[​IMG]

15. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Ahhh...

I wonder if what T-Mac quoted is indeed the lockroom motto (work hard, stay humble), or if he just misquoted the motto (stay hungry, stay humble)

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Was Hakeem the first to use that phrase, or was it around before? I remember him saying it after or during the San Antonio series in 95.

17. hyiou

hyiou Member

i think there is no need for us fans to stay humble.
    after all,we fans needn't to play the game.
    we just need to enjoy this mavellous streak!!!!!!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Your taking up for Chuck's fat ass..You sound like kenny smith

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Is this quoted from Hakeem? I tried looking up his direct quote but can't find it. For some reason I tell myself this every morning going to work but don't know where it actually came from.

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

t-mac owns. he's one of the greatest rockets ever.