1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you eat Roasted Dog and Camel's Milk offered from an Iraqi?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by us_marine007, Feb 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. us_marine007

us_marine007 Member

In Iraq, i remember we were patrolling on a small town near Fallujah and went to check out this farmer's house, once we got there, they welcomed us and told us to stay for lunch. We declined at first but then on the radio our commander ordered us to go ahead so we could win "hearts and minds." The food that I recognized was a dog... a roasted dog... and was served with another mystery meat that they said was ""allah's holy meat" in broken english of course, and some weird looking vegetables and finally to wash it down.. fresh warm Camel's milk... :eek: the question is, If you were in my position, would you have eaten it? would you have stayed for lunch? and if your wondering what I did... i ate some of the dog and made a "gagging" noise which made every single american in that room loose their appettite... So what would you guys have done? lol

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've eaten some adventurous stuff around the world, especially in Asia. But I draw the line at eating dog.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

no problem with camel's milk but there is no way in hell i am eating dog.

4. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

nothing wrong with eating dog. its not like they pluck a schnauzer and cook it. The dogs are probably reared like pigs or whatever.....eat away dude.

am i going to hell for this? i surely hope not

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'll bet a well fed Golden Retriever might be tasty. I wouldn't rule it out

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Do what you gotta do to survive. Definitely a last resort meal though.

7. us_marine007

us_marine007 Member

Dog meat tasted like chicken and beef and pork with that hint of wet doggy smell... very similar to goat's meat but with that doggy smell and instead of smelling it ure actually tasting it..

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's interesting that Iraqis would eat dog but not pork.

I guess I'd try it to not offend the hosts, but I'd definitely find ways to avoid it. I'd try camel's milk too.

9. us_marine007

us_marine007 Member

Saddam's Fedayeen were thrown live dogs at them and they would kill the dogs with their bare hands and eat it raw and on the spot... :eek: theres a video of that somewhere on the net im sure cuz i saw it broadcasted on ABC News back when Peter Jennings was still alive..

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

No way in hell would I eat that, unless it's an absolute life/death thing. What kinda sauce did they use?

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's some inhuman stuff going on right there. It's one thing to eat animals for food. I guess senseless brutality makes it easier for people to follow similar orders.

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

It's funny to see what people can and can't do. You'll go to Iraq, get shot at, but won't eat some meat and milk.

But me? I won't do the former but if I was a guest I'd tear into that puppy meat and thank my hosts tremendously. As for the camel milk, i'd turn it into a milkshake and DRINK IT UP. I'd drink that camel milkshake and I'd drink yours, too.

I've been served with dog meat in third world areas by hosts, and nothing shows more respect to your hosts than to finishing your plate of food (if you can do it). Can I say my food tolerance is more hardcore than a marine? :D

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really when you consider that Islam on the whole does not allow it's practitioners to eat pork, as does Judaism.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I dunno, but back in my college days I had the hump of a camel.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I find that Chihuaha's make the best dog jerky and Dachsunds the best hot dogs.

16. WildSweet&Cool

I'm not opposed to eating any animal except human.

But I don't know if I'd eat it from an Iraqi - might get sick. If it was in a 5-star restaurant, I'd give it a shot.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

i had fermented camel's milk once - I'd have it again.

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I would try just about any type of meat just for the hell of it. To me, there's nothing special about dog, just another type of animal. I've had reindeer and it was damn good.

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

When in Rome...

Anybody watch that show where the dude travels around the world eating weird food. There might actually be two or three shows like that.

Always interesting.

Am I wrong that in the arabic culture, you can decline food, but should always have an offered drink?

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Anthony Bourdain

That guy is crazy! It's a great show.

I would have no problem trying roasted dog or camel's milk.